27 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
Fredwc1
United States
Joined 3536 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Studies: French, German, Spanish

Message 1 of 27
19 April 2015 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
I am a native English (American) speaker. If I come to your country and attempt to speak
the language, how open would the natives be to speaking to me in their native
language....or would they just start speaking English once they found out I speak
English?
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 27
19 April 2015 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Тhey are usually open to it, except maybe in overly touristed spots. I've never had
trouble with getting people to speak the local language to me wherever I was. That
includes Icelandic and Mandarin.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 27
19 April 2015 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Depends on many things, such as:

1) the country and region. Paris is among the worst, most places in Spain appear to be
among the best and so on.
2) the situation. Many people and friends may be glad to help you. Someone trying to do
their job fast will always choose the easiest communication path, which leads to the next
point:
3) your level. You don't need to be perfect, it just needs to be clear you won't be more
trouble than the native is willing to accept.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5764 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 4 of 27
19 April 2015 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
In typical tourist situations, like checking into a hotel or buying dinner, things tend to follow a really standard script and in these situations I find it can be 50/50 whether service staff switch. But to be honest, the whole exchange is so formulaic in any language, I don't care any more whether we do it in English or the local language. And I have actually seen some tourists react really badly when service staff don't (or can't) switch to English and I guess this doesn't have to happen often in your career to change the way you deal with foreign tourists.

Things get more interesting when you move off script. So when the hotel I'd booked in Paris couldn't accept guests due to a major electrical fault, the whole exchange happened in French, even though at the time my French skills were a lot more basic than they are even now. It was good for my ego and in the end we got booked into a better hotel.

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3562 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Romanian, Persian

Message 5 of 27
19 April 2015 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Here in Serbia, most of the younger people would probably want to practice their English, but if you tell them that you want to practice your Serbian, they would be more than happy to speak with you.

Edited by nikolic993 on 19 April 2015 at 6:58pm

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3881 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 6 of 27
19 April 2015 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
Natives speaking of their own country, i.e. those being asked in your original post, are probably going to have a very different experience from anglophone tourists. Partly because they have more experience with the country in general, and partly because they probably have no experience at all trying to speak the local language with an anglophone accent.

All I can tell you for Sweden (Malmö/Lund area) is that I've had some very confused or stunned looks when I've entered a business with friends from school (my school was anglophone) and then started speaking Swedish with workers, but no one ever tried to speak English to me. BUT, I have a very local accent and clearly speak the language natively. I've never been in a situation where a native or C2 anglophone wanting to practise their Swedish, no matter how heavy their accent, has been responded to in English. It has often been the other way around... people who take Swedish classes insist on speaking English so that everyone in the room has to switch languages (experience: anglophone schooling, working in an anglophone school, 25 years of running into foreigners, numerous "expat" acquaintances, all in non-touristy daily life situations). Tourists tell a completely different story, though.

Edited by eyðimörk on 19 April 2015 at 7:26pm

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4303 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 7 of 27
19 April 2015 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
If you come to a rural non-touristy area in Austria and are speaking with people over 40
and only lower secondary education (ie. the majority), you might experience the
following:
a) they respond in full blown dialect, no matter your proficiency
b) if a) turns out to be futile, they slow down and speak more loudly
c) if b) turns out to be futile they get annoyed and start speaking in foreigner-speech
like "Du nix verstehen? Gehen rechts, dann gerade aus, dort Ziel!"

3 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 8 of 27
19 April 2015 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Fredwc1 wrote:
I am a native English (American) speaker. If I come to your country and attempt to speak the language, how open would the natives be to speaking to me in their native language....or would they just start speaking English once they found out I speak
English?

They would be very open to it, although your strange accent might cause some difficulties. However once you learn to speak properly and learn to spell, you'll be fine! Of course they will switch to speaking English to you. The Queens English.

:)

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version