1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 11 of 27
22 April 2015 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
In tourist centres they may know more English, but the last time I was in Italy at age 15
we walked into a fast food chain, I ordered in Italian by pointing and pronouncing à la
Italiano, and got a reply in Italian.

No problem.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 27
27 April 2015 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Tyrion101 wrote:
Anyone have any experience with Italy?

Rome was the only place I visited where I consistently had people insisting on English, especially after finding out my nationality, and even if their English was considerably worse than my Italian. In Tuscany and the North (Milan, Turin, Bologna, Venice), most people happily spoke Italian with me. I've never been to the South so I can't speak for there.

Edited by garyb on 27 April 2015 at 5:27pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 27
27 April 2015 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
In Malta I had some difficulties avoiding English (I wanted to practise Italian). In this unique multilingual community, having an s_allard-style 500-word kernel would've been useful.
On the flip side, I also got to practise my Spanish.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4079 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 14 of 27
27 April 2015 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
I think that there is a difference here as underlined above, that nationality plays a
role in whether the native speakers switch to English or not. Someone with a Spanish,
Argentinian, Chilean, German, Hungarian, PRC, Angolan, Cuban, Algerian, Russian,
Uzbekistani, or Cambodian passport has significantly less chance to be switched to
English than someone with a USA, UK, Australian, NZ, or Canadian passport.

From experience, being a citizen of two countries that are monolingual Anglophone
countries and people finding out about this usually causes some sort of catalyst alarm
ring in the heads of the native speakers like an R2D2-like "Anglophone alert!
Anglophone alert! Switch to English, interlocutor unable to speak anytihng but
English!" and this is when the English insistence usually shows its presence. I would
advise to stay even more insistent, or better yet, what I do now, is to never show my
passports unless necessary. The only other thing is credit card or debit card, but
these are usually given at the end of meals in restaurants, or at the end of shopping
when you purchase something, so this should be no problem because you get your
opporunitiy to speak before showing these things.

If you have multiple citizenship, and one of the passports is non-Anglophone this
might help. But those with non-Anglophone passports, in case native speakers find out,
usually have less problems with English switching than an American or Briton
monocitizen.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 27 April 2015 at 8:54pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4233 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 15 of 27
28 April 2015 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
When it comes to speaking a native carrying on a conversation with you in their language depends on several
things:
1. Whether they are fluent in a foreign language like English or not.
2. Your skin colour and assumed nationality.

A Chinese expat once travelled to China for an acupuncture study program. The whole course was conducted
in Beijing in English with every Chinese medical term translated. His Chinese is limited to only a few words &
phrases but is unable to carry on a conversation. When someone like him walks into a store, the sales staff
would speak to him in Chinese first and assume that he is fluent in the language by default because of his
facial features. Someone who is Caucasian from the US may be fluent in Chinese but the same sales staff
would speak to him in English first by assuming he probably doesn't know the language.

Edited by shk00design on 28 April 2015 at 1:20am

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4919 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 16 of 27
28 April 2015 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
shk00design wrote:
When it comes to speaking a native carrying on a conversation with you in their language depends on several
things:
1. Whether they are fluent in a foreign language like English or not.
2. Your skin colour and assumed nationality.

While that may be the case in China (and I have my doubts that that's always the case), it's certainly not been the case with my white-as-a-flourescent-light-bulb-ass living and travelling in countries where I'm definitely the minority.

It has always depended on my own abilities with the local language, whether people think I'm American or not (and most times people don't think I'm American - I usually get asked if I'm Dutch or Scandinavian.) If I'm able to hold a conversation in the language, we continue speaking in the local language. I suppose part of it is also due to the fact that I stay away from tourist areas for the most part.

But then, I've never travelled anywhere "blind", so to speak. I've always learned at least a bit of the language before I arrive.

R.
==

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version