goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3886 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 25 of 27
29 April 2015 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I think that one factor is family that accompany you. If they are native Anglophones and you have to communicate with them during holidays, the natives might hear. So you caneven be C2 in the language, but if at the same table are your Anglophone family with whom you speak, they might just switch to English for everyone. I wonder how often this happens, though, for non-Anglophone tourists.

Often-ish. The only time anyone insists on speaking English to me in Brittany is when my in-laws are visiting. In other words, when I'm in a touristy area with a group where at least half of the people look out of place and confused, speak Swedish with each other, and speak Swedish with me while I'm talking to someone else and while throwing confused glances at my interlocutor. I've never gone anywhere with my in-laws without someone at least "helpfully" throwing in English words here and there, but responding entirely in English if they can. No one ever responds to us entirely in English otherwise, but about once every ten months a cashier in a touristy area will try, and fail, to quickly translate a number into English (because foreigners have trouble vigesimals). Edit: My husband, who only started learning French in earnest, with a plan, a year ago, is actually the one who get the most of these helpful numbers translations.

Edited by eyðimörk on 29 April 2015 at 10:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

basica
Australia
Joined 3323 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 26 of 27
30 April 2015 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
If you are going by clothes, some of the most ridiculous things that I have heard is
that people can tell that I am an Anglophone from the UK if I do not wear shorts when
it is 40 C. And then people tell me that I am an Anglophone from the USA if I wear
shorts in 40 C.

I do not know how anyone can tell if I speak English or not because I look Hispanic
instead of a WASP-like person from the UK or USA. Mix of light/dark brown hair, black
beard, and 178 cm. If they can somehow guess that I am an Anglophone I am not sure
what exactly causes that. If anything, I have used my looks to pretend to be from
Spain or Argentina in the past during travels as a means of avoiding being switched to
English.

I think that one factor is family that accompany you. If they are native Anglophones
and you have to communicate with them during holidays, the natives might hear. So you
caneven be C2 in the language, but if at the same table are your Anglophone family
with whom you speak, they might just switch to English for everyone. I wonder how
often this happens, though, for non-Anglophone tourists.

I worked in a tourist area for quite a while and I can tell you that I am generally able to pick the general region
someone is from from body language and to some extent how they dress. Depending on where you go I think
your body language probably gives you away more than anything. If you don't look confident or you look
unsure, if you feel more closed or open than expected, these are things that you pick up after a while and
allow you to pick up if someone is a foreigner. Then of course there's the accent which we know about - even
accent is a good way to pick up how well someone generally speaks the language.

Like if someone can in with a french or German accent I knew that I would be in for a long conversation with
much hand gesturing and repetition but if it was say a dutch accent I could relax and speak as I normally
would. I imagine it's the same for people in tourist areas of their country. Body language plus accent give
them a good idea of how likely it is you speak well. Your initial conversation doesn't matter too much because
I've spoke with people who I initially thought they spoke well until suddenly we seemed to have exhausted
their English skills and the time for hand gesturing begun.

Thankfully google translate became a really useful tool in these times.
1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4994 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 27 of 27
30 April 2015 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
When I was in France last week I was with my mum, and I lost a few potential speaking opportunities since we were of course speaking English to each other. That said, in most cases I think it was less the fact that we were speaking English and more the fact that she struggled to understand what they were saying in French, since it generally started off fine.

Yeah, accent is the first impression of someone's ability in a language, which is a bit unfortunate for people like me who are quite good at acquiring grammar and vocabulary but not so good at acquiring accents. But losing the obvious traits of an Anglophone accent goes a long way and is a realistic goal for most. These days, French and Italian people realise that I'm foreign but often aren't sure from where; they often guess Germany, a country that has a better reputation for foreign language learning than the Anglophone world does. And indeed, how confident you appear is also a major factor in my experience. I'm sure that self-improvement work on becoming less shy and more socially comfortable has helped my languages considerably by making it easier to find opportunities to practise.

Appearance is one thing I have going for me. I'm half-Greek, with the dark hair and eyes and all the rest, and could pass for a native in most of southern Europe. However, accent and body language give me away quite quickly. I've also heard of people having the opposite problem: I've met a woman with pale skin and red hair who speaks Italian fluently with a near-perfect accent but said that many Italians insist on English because of her looks. Of course this is just anecdotal: I can verify that her Italian is great, but I wasn't there in those situations to see if there were other factors beyond appearance.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version