Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
350 messages over 44 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 43 44 Next >>
robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4839 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 9 of 350
20 April 2015 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:

I thought I stated clearly that 2.7 hours per day "includes time spent copying words and looking up dictionaries,
not just the time answering cards". The 2-second 6-second calculations are card-answering only.

Copying words and looking up dictionaries takes 2 minutes per word on average, btw.

Right. I didn't mean to imply that you said it was all answering cards. So according to my calculation, you would
be able to get through (2.7*60)/(2 minutes to make cards + 0.5 minutes to learn a card) = 65 words per day.
That seems reasonable.

smallwhite wrote:

robarb wrote:

I also doubt that most people can go through a card every 2 seconds, and ...

Why are you so pessimistic? Everything I wrote in my post turns out impossible or unachievable in your post.

Answering a card in 2 seconds average was a fact; I timed myself. If you type 50% slower than I do, then you'd
average 3 seconds.

I don't mean to be pessimistic. I said I think your method works for you, and I described how my methods, which
work for me, are different. I don't suggest at all that you failed to achieve your goals of 10,000 words in 500 days
using this method. I am skeptical of a suggestion that it took only 8000*0.5 = 4000 minutes if that figure is
derived from 2 seconds per SRS review.

When I did SRS, I was not able to do a review every 2 seconds. I do believe that you can.

smallwhite wrote:

Hard to concentrate for 8 minutes per day? Well, it wasn't hard for me, but if you really need to, you can split that
into 4 sessions of 2 minutes each.

I was referring to the 2.7 hours figure, not the 8 minutes. Doing this kind of drilling for 8 minutes should be
easy. If you can spend 2.7 hours per day looking up words, making and doing SRS cards, then I'm impressed. I
don't think I could do that. But you don't need that much time to achieve your long-term goals, so I guess it
doesn't really matter.

smallwhite wrote:

robarb wrote:

smallwhite, how much time would you guess you've put into vocabulary study in a language by the time you've
actually SRSed 8,000 words?

I'll let you do the estimation ;p

I learned and SRS'd 7972 words within the first 4 months of learning German, studying grammar and other things
at the same time.

I've learned Spanish for 372 days, have SRS'd about 8500 words, studying grammar and other things at the same
time and now I'm pretty sure I can pass DELE C1.

Is that in ~8 minutes per day in those languages? Or is it 8 minutes of reviewing cards plus the time it takes to
make the cards? Either way, that's not bad at all.

smallwhite wrote:

robarb wrote:

If there's some kind of fatigue/interference effect, you may not
be able to learn twice as many words by spending twice as much time. In that case, the best solution for most
people might be to spend 2-10 minutes daily after all

Or maybe it's 2-10 minutes per session, with multiple sessions per day possible. I do multiple sessions per day.

People learn enough to graduate from University in 3 years and become managers in 5 years. I don't think a
person learning new words maxes out at 2-10 minutes daily.

Agree on the multiple sessions. I'd still be interested to see scientific research on the differences in results using
different strategies.

smallwhite wrote:

robarb wrote:

... but there are other benefits. Reading gives you more exposure to grammar,
usage, and culture, plus...

You're talking as if vocabulary-learning TAKES TIME AWAY from reading. For me, vocabulary-learning LETS ME
READ SOONER. I cram 10000 words in, say, 6 months, so that I can read comfortably from the 7th month
onwards. As opposed to dragging out the process and knowing (vaguely) just 5000 words after 3 years of study,
and still just "enjoying" Harry Potter and bilingual texts.

I wholeheartedly support any vocabulary study that has a net positive effect on the amount of reading you do by
getting you reading better sooner.

Other methods do allow learners like me to learn vocabulary and read books soonish, though. Of course one
must learn vocabulary. The question is whether reading and not doing target vocabulary study is one effective
way to get there. I think it is. I think I learn a good number of words per hour when doing level-appropriate
reading.

smallwhite wrote:

(I meant I aim at learning 40-per-day ACTIVE vocabulary because I do production cards).

If you can do that, then you get about one fluently-spoken-language-worth of vocabulary per year. If that can be
sustained in the long term, it would be really exciting. Do you have, or would you write, a guide for how it's
done? Or is it just regular standard dictionary + Anki?

Edited by robarb on 20 April 2015 at 3:20am

2 persons have voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3322 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 10 of 350
20 April 2015 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
After I finish a textbook completely, I add the words from my vocabulary lists for that book into my study deck, but I keep most of the words "disabled". For example, when I was in the beginning of my French textbook, I wrote down the following entries for some words in my notebook such as

je suis student
vous ĂȘtes professeur

After finishing the textbook, it's pretty clear that the above words don't need any additional effort to learn. I went ahead and added them to my deck for reference and to track the total, but they are in a clearly marked "disabled" category so that they never appear during normal study, but I can look them up if I wanted to reference something. Depending on your experience, I suspect at least 70-75% of the words that you learn will belong to this category. Save the flashcards for the 25-30% of words that didn't stick for whatever reason.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6985 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 11 of 350
20 April 2015 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
I think the easiness of cards, or my readiness to learn them is an important part of SRS.   If I recall correctly,
smallwhite also adds the easiest words.

Hard words make SRS drudgery, unless I only add a tiny number at a time.
1 person has voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5088 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 12 of 350
20 April 2015 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
So according to my calculation, you would be able to get through (2.7*60)/(2 minutes to make cards + 0.5 minutes to learn a card) = 65 words per day.
That seems reasonable.

You misunderstood some numbers, and you took some things that I gave as examples as the whole. I'll just rewrite.

1. The SRS that I use does not involve flipping cards, which is slow. Mine lists out all the questions along a column in Excel, and I type the anwer along the next column.

Qu1 Ans1
Qu2 Ans2
Qu3
Qu4
Qu5

It's much faster because you don't wait for the cards to flip over, and as you type an answer, you can already read the next question. Takes 2 seconds per word. Memrise takes 6 seconds because of all the fancy displays. Let's say you average 4 seconds - answering a card, that is.

2. With Memrise, you answer a card 15 times over the course of a year. So, for each word, it takes 4 seconds x 15 answers = 60 seconds to answer, over 365 days.

[[** It does NOT mean I spend 60 seconds answering a word each day. This is a per-word figure, not a per-day figure. **]]

Learn 1 word? Spend 60 seconds over 365 days answering card.
Learn 8000 words? Spend 480,000 seconds over 365 days, which is 21.92 minutes per day, over 365 days answering cards.

3. One of the ways I get words into SRS is by reading novels, extracting unknown words, looking them up, sometimes googling for an image to clarify things, and entering them into my Excel file (note where this process ends - my Excel file). That takes 2 minutes per word on average. ie. After 1 hour at the computer, I have 30 new words in my Excel file.

4. If I use my Excel file to do SRS, I can start SRSing right after step 3 above. If I use Memrise instead, I need to export words from Excel to Memrise. This can take forever because Memrise isn't very well designed.

5. The 2.7 hours I spent per day during the last 6WC included:
* Extracting average 21.9 words per day (920 words over 42 days of the 6WC)
* Answering cards. Note that I don't answer just these 21.9 cards, but also cards from previous months.
* Answering cards from ready-made Memrise decks.
* Looking for ready-made Memrise decks to learn.
* Fighting with Memrise's bugs.
* OTHER vocabulary-related activities.

Note that I don't just SRS my own words. I also take advantage of ready-made decks, which save time. But I don't count these towards my goal of 10000 words. So I actually learn more that my goal.

6. The original reason I wrote about my stats was to answer OP's question.

How much vocabulary-study time is right? For me, with the goal of learning 10,000 words, 8,000 of which I SRS, the time I spend answering cards would be:

( 4 seconds x 15 times x 8000 words ) / 365 days = 21.9 minutes per day answering cards

Little further time needed if I download ready-made card decks.
2 minutes per word further time needed if I extract words from novels.
More time needed to fight bugs if I decide to use Memrise.
Less if I use a better SRS.

5 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5088 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 

Message 13 of 350
20 April 2015 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
If you can do that, then you get about one fluently-spoken-language-worth of vocabulary per year. If that can be sustained in the long term, it would be really exciting. Do you have, or would you write, a guide for how it's done? Or is it just regular standard dictionary + Anki?

I wrote about learning the 7972 German words here:
When is word frequency irrelevant?
I wrote over several posts so you may have to skim through the whole thread to locate the relevant posts.

(I suddenly realised that the method mentioned in the link above is intrinsically leech-free. We all know that leeches waste a lot of time. So it's a method that guarantees cards to be easy and leech-free. Like a dream ^^ )

In my Spanish Excel file as at 14-Feb-2013, for example, 6173 words were being SRS'd, and 915 words were waiting to be learned.

Answering cards itself takes just 21.9 minutes a day. (11.5 mins if I use my Excel file to SRS). What really takes time is sourcing words. Extracting words myself from novels and news would be best, but it takes the most time (2 minutes per word). Using ready-made decks is fastest. Copying word lists from language-teaching websites (eg. About.com) or frequency lists from Wiktionary is quite fast. I use the fastest method(s) until they don't work for me anymore, eg. until similar words get too confusing, until a simple English translation is not enough, until the words are far too irrelevant for me.

shachak
Albania
Joined 3925 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English

Message 14 of 350
20 April 2015 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite how do you use your excel file as an SRS?

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5088 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 

Message 15 of 350
20 April 2015 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
shachak wrote:
smallwhite how do you use your excel file as an SRS?

You mean scheduling dates? That's semi-manual. Each row is one word (one card) and one cell contains the date I last answered this card, with another cell containing the due date for next time. So, before I answer a card that was due today (Apr20), it looks like this:

noir ... black ... adjective ... Apr15 ... Apr20
(last answered Apr15, due Apr20)
(interval 5 days)

After answering it today, I copy-n-paste formulas into the row, to make it look like this:
noir ... black ... adjective ... Apr20 ... Apr30
(last answered Apr20, due Apr30)
(interval now 10 days)

I think that's just the same as what Anki etc do, just that they do it behind the scenes and I do it right before my eyes.

3 persons have voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4839 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 16 of 350
20 April 2015 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Thanks smallwhite! I think we've gotten a much clearer idea of what exactly you do and about how long the
different parts take.

When I multiplied out the numbers you gave I didn't mean that I think that applies to you. It's just a thing in the
abstract, a how-long-would-it-take-to-run-across-the-US-if-I-do-a-10-min ute-mile kind of thing. I think it's
useful to think about how those things compare to real, long-term results that you've described for us.

Unfortunately it's too hard to estimate how much vocabulary I acquire from reading without SRS, so I don't think
we can know exactly how much my lack of enthusiasm for it is slowing me. But in the long term I do seem to
have learned a lot of words, somehow.

I would guess that a really optimal solution would be to use some SRS but vary the amount depending on
whether the conditions are favorable for you retaining words from just reading or not--since that will determine
the relative benefit of SRS. We may not have a good way to measure that, but as a rough guide, if the words seem
to be sticking, you might not need (as much) SRS. If the words are not sticking, you should do more SRS.

Edited by robarb on 20 April 2015 at 6:57pm

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version