Joined 5265 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 17 of 350
20 April 2015 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
[QUOTE=robarb]
Answering cards itself takes just 21.9 minutes a day. (11.5 mins if I use my Excel file to SRS). What
really takes time is sourcing words. Extracting words myself from novels and news would be best, but
it takes the most time (2 minutes per word). Using ready-made decks is fastest. Copying word lists
from language-teaching websites (eg. About.com) or frequency lists from Wiktionary is quite fast. I use
the fastest method(s) until they don't work for me anymore, eg. until similar words get too confusing,
until a simple English translation is not enough, until the words are far too irrelevant for me.

Smallwhite thanks for your really detailed reply. Lots of great information here.

I just had a follow up question. How many languages do you do this with per day? And what level are
you at in these languages you are using the techniques with? I ask this because I study multiple
languages at a time and I know that every minute counts in the act of juggling them. Since my
languages are each at very different skill levels, I find that spending 11-21 minutes per day on
vocabulary may or may not be the best use of time. For example, I can make a strong argument as to
why I should spend more time studying Norwegian or Korean vocabulary because I am still in the
process of acquiring the 5000 or so most frequently used words and am only at around an
intermediate level. However, in Japanese, I think this would be way too long since most of my
vocabulary now consists of much higher level words (university level, academic paper level) that are
generally lower frequency. Or maybe I've got things backwards and actually SHOULD be studying
Japanese vocabulary more than I am? I ask this not to criticize your study methods but to get more
insight into how they could best be utilized. I for one think that your method of vocab study is
fascinating and is not so different from my own. That is why I would like to hear a bit more.
1 person has voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5093 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 18 of 350
20 April 2015 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Po-ru wrote:
How many languages do you do this with per day? And what level are
you at in these languages you are using the techniques with?

My answer probably won't help you decide, because I don't study multiple languages within a day. I tried that, but found it inefficient. Between level zero and B2, I prefer to concentrate on just one language for about 2 to 4 weeks each time. I might do a little bit of work on the other languages, such as answering my cards, but often I don't even do that.

And I am very goal-oriented, in the sense that before I reach it, every thing I do, every minor step I take, is for reaching my goal ASAP. And once I reach it, I stop altogether :D My goal is usually something like "solid B2 + 8000 words". So, taking your case of Japanese, if I'm at "shaky B2 + 7000 words", I'd put down everything else and concentrate on finishing off my goal. And then call it a day :D

I thinks decisions are easier if you have clear goals in mind.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5265 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 19 of 350
21 April 2015 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
[QUOTE=Po-ru]
I thinks decisions are easier if you have clear goals in mind.

I definitely agree. I think that goals are important and that study plans need to be molded around one's
goals. Naturally, if one aims at reading a novel in Russian that will take markedly more dedication and a
much different approach to the language than someone who is looking to become conversant in it. I
understand better your approach to vocabulary learning and the steps you take to more smoothly
achieve your goal.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4694 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 20 of 350
27 April 2015 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:

2. With Memrise, you answer a card 15 times over the course of a year. So, for each word, it takes 4 seconds x 15 answers = 60 seconds to answer, over 365 days.

This is a figure that I find amazing, that you can learn a word in 60 seconds spread over a year (and I realize this doesn't include setting up your SRS, etc). That's flipping great! I'm not that bright, unfortunately, and I need several views of the card on the first day just to get it, with more than 15 repetitions over the year.

I suppose a relevant question is, how long have you been learning 8000 words per year in 22 minutes a day? People can do amazing things over the short term, but is the pace you mentioned sustainable?

Edited by Jeffers on 27 April 2015 at 6:48pm

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5215 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 21 of 350
27 April 2015 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Like Jeffers, I'm astounded at the learning rate of 8000 words per year in 22 minutes a day. Two questions come to
mind. First, does learning a word encompass all the various forms and meaning?. For example, a very common verb
like llevar in Spanish has all kinds of meanings and uses that figure in a good dictionary. So, is llevar really
just one word out of 8000 or does it carry some weighting that makes it more like 10/8000? The same can be said
for the various high-frequency verbs.

The second question is how well can the speaker use these words, both for comprehension and production. After
one year, does this learner have an passive and/or a productive vocabulary of 8000 words? Let's say an passive
vocabulary of 8000 words and a productive vocabulary of the most common 2500 words in the language. This is
extremely good and getting into the range of a C1-C2 speaker for Spanish. Is this possible in a year?

Edit: changes "active vocabulary of 8000 words" to "passive vocabulary of 8000 words"

Edited by s_allard on 27 April 2015 at 11:18pm

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4306 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 22 of 350
27 April 2015 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Like Jeffers, I'm astounded at the learning rate of 8000 words per year in 22 minutes a day.

You missed the point where he/she isn't learning the words in 22 minutes per day, only reviewing them in this time slot. At an average of 2 seconds per word for writing it down in L2, this suggests that any kind of SRS system wouldn't have been necessary in the first place and was only done as a confidence booster or to further automatize their use. The actual learning takes place in the many hours he/she spends with the language and when putting the words into the SRS system as far as I understand. Thinking about it, this is actually the usage SRS systems were made for in the first place: not for learning, but for not forgetting.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4694 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 23 of 350
27 April 2015 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
s_allard wrote:
Like Jeffers, I'm astounded at the learning rate of 8000 words per year in 22 minutes a day.

You missed the point where he/she isn't learning the words in 22 minutes per day, only reviewing them in this time slot. At an average of 2 seconds per word for writing it down in L2, this suggests that any kind of SRS system wouldn't have been necessary in the first place and was only done as a confidence booster or to further automatize their use. The actual learning takes place in the many hours he/she spends with the language and when putting the words into the SRS system as far as I understand. Thinking about it, this is actually the usage SRS systems were made for in the first place: not for learning, but for not forgetting.

Let's let smallwhite speak for him/herself:
smallwhite wrote:
Learn 1 word? Spend 60 seconds over 365 days answering card.
Learn 8000 words? Spend 480,000 seconds over 365 days, which is 21.92 minutes per day, over 365 days answering cards.

So s/he says s/he learns 8000 words in 21.92 minutes per day. As I said, I realize this doesn't include time taken to gather and input the words initially. It's still an astounding feat. But actually, s/he has done better:

smallwhite wrote:
I learned and SRS'd 7972 words within the first 4 months of learning German, studying grammar and other things at the same time.

Daegga, I suspect you don't the 22 minutes per day counts learning time because you'd be astounded if it did. But those are smallwhite's words: "Learn 8000 words", "learned and SRS'd".

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5093 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 24 of 350
27 April 2015 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
But these aren't just my stats, they're everyone's. That's how SRS works. Except that if you use my Excel file, it takes 2 seconds to answer a card, whereas if you use Memrise, it takes 6 seconds. Anki takes probably 4 seconds.

Memrise Intervals: "It's not entirely a set pattern. The standard ladder is
4 hours, 12 hours, 1 day, 6 days, 12 days, 24 days, 48 days, 90 days, 180 days"

That's 9 times over 365 days, plus 6 times at the planting stage / initial learning stage, total 15 times.
That's the only piece of information I haven't posted so far. Everything else I have, you just need to follow the maths step-by-step.

Jeffers wrote:
I need several views of the card on the first day just to get it, with more than 15 repetitions over the year.

As above, 15 times over a year is Memrise's schedule, not my personal Wonder Woman schedule.
15 times includes 6 initial views on the first day. It's 6 times on day 0, and 9 times thereafter until day 365.
Anki is 9 times over a year, if memory serves, with no multiple view initially (ie. without the several views you said you need).

The figures sound amazing but it's just what all Memrisers and Ankiers are doing.

-----

Sustainability:

I've never SRS'd a word beyond maybe the 90-day interval (about 6 mths after initial learning), because with all the reading & listening work I do, words become learnt / very familiar within 6 months. So what happens is something like:
I start a deck in January, which I SRS until around July, and stop.
I start a deck in March, which I SRS until Sept, and stop.
Which means I actually spend less than 22mins/day on reviews. I believe everyone does that more or less.

If by sustainability you mean whether I can keep adding new words to my SRS, the answer is no. I do it in bursts, like the Jan-Mar example above.

-----

s_allard wrote:
does learning a word encompass all the various forms and meaning

I mean 8000 cards. It's up to you whether you want to do 8000 different lemmas(?) or 8000 versions of the one word "llegar".

s_allard wrote:

The second question is how well can the speaker use these words, both for comprehension and production. After
one year, does this learner have an passive and/or a productive vocabulary of 8000 words? Let's say an passive
vocabulary of 8000 words and a productive vocabulary of the most common 2500 words in the language. This is
extremely good and getting into the range of a C1-C2 speaker for Spanish. Is this possible in a year?

Qu 2A:
After I SRS words, I can use them and I can understand them. I thought it's the same for everyone, but you seem to imply that some people don't know a word even after SRSing. Then I don't know about them. (Why would they bother with SRS if they get nothing out of it, though?)

Qu 2B Is this possible in a year?:
I'm not saying you can learn all your 8000 words in a year.
One year is the SRS rep time. It is maths, to calculate average times.
For a word you learned on day 1 of your language journey, you'd have finished 15 reps by day 365.
But you don't learn all 8000 words on your first day. You learn over time. For a word that you learn on day 364 of your language journey, likely you're not yet familiar with it yet on day 365.
In Anki terms, by day 365, your beginner's vocabulary cards would have become "mature", but your later cards, your advanced vocabulary cards, will still be "young".

s_allard wrote:

Let's say an passive

That's what I did. I've learnt Spanish for about 370 days, I had a deck of about 6500 words, which I've stopped reviewing, and now I have an advanced deck of about 2500 words. My 370 days weren't consecutive (I didn't start Apr 2014 but earlier) but I don't think that's relevant here. And now I am better in Spanish that I am in my C1 French. I definitely know more Spanish words than French words.

daegga wrote:
The actual learning takes place in the many hours he/she spends with the language ...
this is actually the usage SRS systems were made for in the first place: not for learning, but for not forgetting.

I believe so.

Exactly, for not forgetting what's learnt.

tl;dr Those figures I gave were just a quantification of the standard Memrise/Anki routines. If I asked you to quantify how much time it takes to SRS, you'd have come up with the same figures.
4 seconds x ( 6 initial reps + 9 review reps ) x 8000 cards / 365 days = 22 minutes per day answering cards

Edited by smallwhite on 28 April 2015 at 12:41am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 350 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version