17 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4493 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 9 of 17
22 April 2015 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
I would rather study than spend time keeping a spreadsheet about how guilty I should feel
about not studying x hours a certain day. So I just study.
6 persons have voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4659 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 10 of 17
22 April 2015 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I would rather study than spend time keeping a spreadsheet about how
guilty I should feel
about not studying x hours a certain day. So I just study.

That's true, but so far, keeping a spreadsheet has had a positive impact on my study
habits, so I think I'll just keep at it. I suppose it's the same kind of "gamification"
that makes Duolingo so successful. Also, it gives me clear aims to follow each week.

But I do agree that you shouldn't spend too much time with them. For me it takes a
total of <1 minute per day to enter the number of pages read after a "reading session"
or adding up the numbers after one or two Youtube videos.

Edited by stifa on 22 April 2015 at 10:07am

3 persons have voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3328 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 11 of 17
22 April 2015 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
No matter what time management system or plan you use, I think it's important to keep the goal in mind. If you're tracking your time or pages read, or whatever, don't do this for the sheer joy of collecting a mass of data. What do you want to get out of your time management system? Do you want to be able to plan goals in advance, do you want to prioritize learning tasks (especially important if learning multiple lanaguages)? Do you want to be accountable to yourself and discover inefficiencies (e.g. "I'm having trouble speaking French at work lately... maybe I'm not dedicating the right amount of time to the most important practice tasks.").

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6695 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 17
22 April 2015 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Related topic:
Time logging
2 persons have voted this message useful

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4522 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 17
22 April 2015 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
I used TimeEdition, both for my desktop and on my phone. I never remembered to stop the
time recordings on the phone for whatever reason.

Personally, I used it for a couple weeks to give myself an idea of how much time I was
actually spending in contrast to how much I thought I was spending. Having achieved that
goal, I stopped- I prefer a prescriptive approach to time blocking.

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3361 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Irish, French

Message 14 of 17
22 April 2015 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
Thank's Jeff, for the link to the older thread. Lots more food for thought!

A big part of my motivation for logging is to balance the amount time I spend on different
activities, as I tend to focus intensively one aspect, angle, or skill for several days,
But then I need to get some distance from it for a similar chunk of time, to digest what
I've learned and to prevent overload and burnout.

When I get too zealous/greedy, and decide to study or practice anything every single day, I
burn out on the entire subject area within a few weeks, and feel active antipathy toward it
for months after.

On the bright side, when I focus on something, I focus very, very intensively, and get a
lot done.

So with this personality type, it is helpful to keep some kind of record covering longer
periods of weeks, to make sure I'm balancing my focus among all necessary aspects of my
study area. Over the years I have experimented with a variety of paper and electronic
formats for doing this, but, like everything in life, each system has advantages and
disadvantages, and different tools are better suited for differing situations.

So it always interests me how other people address time management and record keeping.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5342 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 15 of 17
06 May 2015 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
The 6WeekChallenge bot is pretty handy for logging times and summarising totals for a limited time. I'm thinking about making a simple version of this for logging my own studies throughout the whole year; perhaps Sprachprofi can give me some tips on how to get started...?

I also carry around a small pocket notebook/pen to log my studies/immersion activities, and then add these notes to a spreadsheet with formulae later on when I have a free moment (works for me anyhow). :)

Edited by Teango on 06 May 2015 at 2:33am

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 16 of 17
06 May 2015 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
Personally there are certain things I would build into my routine such as reading news articles online, watching
foreign language videos online. I would always keep a list of words & phrases. Every time I come across an
unknown word / phrase, it would go into the word list. Once you do certain things regularly, you wouldn't
necessarily keep a log of your time as long as you have at least 1h exposure per day on a given language.
When I get into watching Chinese drama series from Singapore, I can sometimes do 3h straight. Within 1 1/2
week I'd be done with a series that has 20 episodes. I would sometimes keep a log of the TV series I watched
recently. If I need to go back to any of them, I would have the show title.

What I find is that some people keep a time log that has hundreds of pages. And even after almost a year they
haven't got very far at the beginner level. They actually spend a lot of time keeping records of the all days they
haven't done a lot of studying a language than actually studying and getting their fluency to improve.

There is a YouTube video by Felix in Belgium on his routines for learning languages:
My daily routine

He would fill up little segments of time when waiting for a bus by going through his phrase book and saying
words & phrases in a foreign language out loud.

Edited by shk00design on 06 May 2015 at 5:24am

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version