Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4795 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 17 of 17
06 May 2015 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
While I am not a fan of spending more time on records keeping than studying, I find
time logging (such as for the 6wc) very useful as it makes me put in "just at least
five more minutes", which makes me open the book and begin. And as ajatt wrote (in
better words), showing up is half of success, this "sit down and open the damn book"
being more difficult than just going on.

So, I try to make time tracking as simple as possible.

-movies and audio: simple, you see how long it is. sure, i i take away a minute or two
for titles and such things without any language but i really do not go into extreme
such as using a stopwatch to cut out the time characters spend silent in the movie

-other activities: i note down the time of beginning and the time of taking a break or
finishing. no fancy apps needed, any scrap of paper and piece of pencil will do (ok,
and a watch of something like that).

-activities done while i cannot simply write down the time (while commuting or while
just having a conversation with people): i guess. i know i spend in the metro
approximately fifteen minutes in the morning, i count ten as there are distractions
etc. precise enough for my needs.

An alternative, similar to the method of chaotic thought, is pomodoro. It is a time
management study technique when you split your activities in 25 min long chunks with 5
min long breaks (15 min every third or fourth break). In that case, you are not
watching the stopwatch, you are not spending time tracking things too much. quite the
opposite. you start the countdown and get working, knowing the world is ok and well
structured.

now that I'm thinking of it, I might return to pomodoro.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version