United States
Joined 4930 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 10 of 74
17 June 2015 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
Week 8

Oh, dear. There’s no way in hell I’m going to be able to speak both Danish and Norwegian. Time to rethink this thing. I’m dropping Norwegian, but I’ll continue on with Danish and German. I’m still going to shoot for 300 hours total recorded speech by year’s end.

Hours recorded in the last week, with total hours in parentheses:

Danish: 1.7 (31.5)
German: 0 (9.4)

Combined hours to date: 40.9

2 persons have voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4930 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 11 of 74
24 June 2015 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
Week 9

As I go along, more subtle nuances in the sounds of Danish are becoming apparent to me, the way an intricate wood carving gives up its detail upon close inspection. No, it’s more like finding something shiney on the ground and picking it up, only to have tiny little imp fairies explode out of it shrieking otherworldly vowel sounds.

Danish: 10.3 (41.8)

Combined hours to date: 51.2

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 74
25 June 2015 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
I'm impressed with your determination and happy that somebody is interested in learning my native language in spite of its shrieking otherworldly vowel sounds.
3 persons have voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4930 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 13 of 74
25 June 2015 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Studying Danish sometimes makes me feel like I'm alone on an asteroid, so your encouraging words mean a lot to me.

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4930 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 14 of 74
01 July 2015 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
Week 10

Had an hour-long Italki lesson with a new Danish teacher on Sunday. Although it felt like something of a triumph to get through the whole thing without resorting to English, it wasn’t pretty. Several times I couldn’t understand what the teacher said and had to ask him to repeat, and he had to endure some painfully long pauses where I drew a blank on the Danish equivalents of words like “then” and “any”. Sometimes the German word came out, instead. Oh well, at least he said I didn’t have an American accent.

I’ve discovered the children’s videos on dr.dk. There’s a series called Monster Buster where three young women in matching jumpsuits take turns visiting little kids and driving away their monsters. I like the way these women talk. I’ve decided to try to talk like them rather than the matronly lady who reads the Anne Frank audiobook I’ve been listening to.

Danish: 8.1 (49.9)

Combined hours to date: 59.3

Edited by AlOlaf on 01 July 2015 at 7:15am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 15 of 74
03 July 2015 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Well-done, AlOlaf! I know the feeling about the German word coming out instead...

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4930 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 16 of 74
05 July 2015 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Expugnator. Yeah, I worked so hard to develop automatic word retrieval in German, I never thought I’d ever try to suppress it. I wonder what it’s like to be multilingual and have different languages filed neatly in separate brain compartments, so you never have to worry about inappropriate knee-jerk word reflexes.

I read recently where Sarnek and daegga were discussing role models for pronunciation, and I think I’ve found one for Danish. In the children’s videos on dr.dk, she’s called Motor Mille, and I like the way she talks. Here’s a 47-second audio excerpt (5:20-6:07) from video #7 of Monster Buster from the Ramasjang section under TV/børn on the dr.dk site. Motor Mille is telling five-year-old Liv how they’ll set a trap for Liv’s monster.

Excerpt

And now my best-guess transcription of the dialogue, followed by my best-guess English translation. I’d be extremely grateful for corrections.

MM: “Monstret kommer ind og rammer bowlingkuglen, bowlingkuglen vælter alle de her bøger…”

Liv: “Og alle de her.”

MM: “…og alle de der bøger. Så rammer den lampen, da tænder lyset på ræven, og så rammer den den (en båndoptager) heroppe, som så gør, at man siger (hun brøler).”

Liv: (Hun brøler også)

MM: “Og så gør vi altså det her monster så bange, at det aldrig kommer tilbage igen. Men inden vi bygger den her fælde, så har jeg faktisk en overraskelse til dig. Skal du jo bare se. Tage det med den her. Jeg har taget altså det, en dragt til dig med, som er en mage til min. Så vi kan blive Monster Buster makkere.”

Liv: “Bare med en lidt forskellig farve.”

MM: “Ja, og lige lidt mindre.”

(Liv tager dragten på)

MM: “Så, få lige set, hvor seje vi er! Liv, vi har så fået den hele sammen dragt på.”

Liv: (Hun viser sine fletninger) “Ja, og jeg har dem som dig.”

MM: “Og nu har vi også fletninger, hvor vi er så seje. Jeg synes, de er egentlige for at bygge en fælde. Waps! “ (highfive)

MM: “The monster comes in, runs into the bowling ball, the bowling ball knocks over all these books here…”

Liv: “And all these here.”

MM: “…and all those books there. Then this one hits the lamp and turns the light on the fox, and then this one hits this ( a tape player) up here, and it goes (makes roaring noise)
Liv: (makes roaring noise)

MM: “And so we scare that monster so bad, that he never comes back again. But before we set this trap, I’ve got a surprise for you. Take a look at this. Give this a try. I brought along an outfit for you that’s just like mine. So we can be Monster Buster partners.”

Liv: “Only in a slightly different color.”

MM: “Yeah, and a little smaller.”

(Liv puts on the outfit)

MM: “Woah, look how cool we are! Liv, we have exactly the same outift on.”

Liv: (shows her braids) “Yeah, and I’ve got these just like you do.”

MM: “And we’ve got braids, too, we’re so cool. I think they’re appropriate for setting a trap. Waps! (high five)

Edit: To see the video, click here.

Edited by AlOlaf on 07 July 2015 at 6:09am

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version