United States
Joined 4907 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 33 of 74
09 September 2015 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Week 20

Challenging non-natives to say "rødgrød med fløde" (Danish for red fruit pudding with cream) is often touted as the benchmark test for determining their oral competence, but I think the word “adlyde” (to obey) would be a better choice. Pronouncing this thing involves placing the tongue behind the lower teeth (soft d sound), moving it to the upper palate (l sound) and then back down for another soft d, while simultaneously transitioning from a trademark Danish almost-identical-to-the-corresponding-vowel-in-English-but-j ust-different-enough-to-make-it-difficult-to-distinguish-or- reproduce vowel (a) to one that sounds like the German ü in Lübeck (y). Yow.

Klovn is proving to be a great source of material for listening comprehension practice. The show's actors talk a lot like the urban hipsters I encountered last year on the streets of Copenhagen, whose kooky lingo I'd like to understand and reproduce. I made a cd of the audio from the first three episodes to listen to it in the car.

The new Assimil Danish is quite good, but I doubt I'll be making jabber recordings out of it anytime soon. It's mighty tedious and time-consuming work, and I've already got 14 hours worth of recordings with pauses I haven’t sussed yet.

Hours recorded in the last week, with total hours in parentheses:

Danish: 7.6 (128.4)

German: 0 (10.2)

Combined hours to date: 138.6

Edited by AlOlaf on 09 September 2015 at 7:47pm

1 person has voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4907 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 34 of 74
16 September 2015 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
Week 21

I read something in Danish:

Tivoli

It turns out at least some of the episodes in my Klovn boxed set have Danish subtitles along with the English ones. That should help me figure out what these fast-talking folks are saying.

It doesn’t seem too likely I’ll reach my goal of recording 300 hours by the end of the year, but I'm going to keep trying, just the same.

Danish: 10.4 (138.8)

Combined hours to date: 149.0

Rozzie
United States
Joined 3171 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 35 of 74
16 September 2015 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
You have inspired me to record my Spanish lessons so I wanted to thank you.👏🏾 keep up the good work.
2 persons have voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4907 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 36 of 74
16 September 2015 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
You bet! Good luck with your Spanish studies.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5606 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 37 of 74
17 September 2015 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
AlOlaf wrote:
Week 20

Challenging non-natives to say "rødgrød med fløde" (Danish for red fruit pudding with
cream) is often touted as the benchmark test for determining their oral competence,
but I think the word “adlyde” (to obey) would be a better choice. Pronouncing this
thing involves placing the tongue behind the lower teeth (soft d sound), moving it to
the upper palate (l sound) and then back down for another soft d, while simultaneously
transitioning from a trademark Danish almost-identical-to-the-corresponding-vowel-in-
English-but-j ust-different-enough-to-make-it-difficult-to-distinguish-or- reproduce
vowel (a) to one that sounds like the German ü in Lübeck (y). Yow.

The new Assimil Danish is quite good, but I doubt I'll be making jabber recordings out
of it anytime soon. It's mighty tedious and time-consuming work, and I've already got
14 hours worth of recordings with pauses I haven’t sussed yet.

Yes, "rødgrød med fløde" is what the Danish people always ask foreigners to say. My
difficulty of the Danish language is that I relatively often pronounce mute letters
voiced and that`s the main thing what my Danish teacher of the VHS-course had to
correct. My soft d is OK, I think it`s not perfect, but for my ambition good enough.

As participant of the Polyglot Gathering 2015 I could choose a free "Teach Yourself"
course and I chose Norwegian because I already have enough Danish courses to work on.
I still have to test the audio CD of this course. The quality of the course cannot
compete with "Einstieg Norwegisch" and "Norsk for deg", that´s for sure.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 17 September 2015 at 5:28am

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4907 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 38 of 74
23 September 2015 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
Week 22

I don’t guess anybody’s really interested in Danish pronunciation minutiae, so I’ll stop writing about it. I won’t stop posting my recording results, though, because it’s helping me to stay motivated.

Danish: 9.0 (147.8)

Combined hours to date: 158.0

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4280 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 39 of 74
26 September 2015 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
AlOlaf wrote:
Week 21

I read something in Danish:

Tivoli

Sounds like all the work has paid off already.
150h ... you must be quite determined to tackle this beast

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4907 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 40 of 74
27 September 2015 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
Thanks, daegga! In all honesty, I can’t say I’m tackling the beast. It’s more like I’ve got ahold of its leg, and it’s dragging me around like a rag doll and knocking the crap out of me, but I’m too stupid to let go.

Edited by AlOlaf on 27 September 2015 at 12:44am

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version