Netherlands
Joined 3847 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 10
23 April 2015 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
Hi people of HTLAL,
   can you please advice me a Portuguese (Portugal) grammar written in Spanish or
Portuguese?

Thank you very much!
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5861 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 2 of 10
23 April 2015 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
That will depend on the level you want.

In the mean time, you might want to check this online grammar.

Note #1: I don't own a grammar anymore, so I don't know whether I'll be able to help eventually, but I'll try. The advantage will be to have a native speaker looking for it.

Note #2: in the (few and far between) cases when I have doubts, I just go online and type what I want; many times, I get sent to Brazilian sites, which is ok, as there's no difference between Portugal and Brazil when it comes to the official grammar. In any case, I'm really tired of that debate here in the forum, so let's not go there. You want PT-PT, that's what I'll try to help you with.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4468 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 3 of 10
23 April 2015 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Nova Gramática do Português Contemporâneo - 6ª Ed. 2013
by Cintra, Lindley; Cunha, Celso

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3847 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 4 of 10
23 April 2015 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
That will depend on the level you want.

In the mean time, you might want to check this online grammar.

Note #1: I don't own a grammar anymore, so I don't know whether I'll be able to help eventually, but I'll try. The advantage will be to have a native speaker looking for it.

Note #2: in the (few and far between) cases when I have doubts, I just go online and type what I want; many times, I get sent to Brazilian sites, which is ok, as there's no difference between Portugal and Brazil when it comes to the official grammar. In any case, I'm really tired of that debate here in the forum, so let's not go there. You want PT-PT, that's what I'll try to help you with.

Hi @Luso. Thank you very much for your support!
My goal is to learn the European version of Portuguese, because I live in Europe. I know the pronunciation and certain words are different, like or a bit more than British vs American English. If there's no difference between Portuguese and Brazilian portuguese when it comes to grammar, it's ok for me to use indistinctly one of the two! Thank you for this information.
About the level I want.
I'm a total beginner. But I'm Italian and I learned Spanish, and French. I can read Portuguese texts and the grammar is supposedly similar to the ones of Spanish, Italian and French. I think it's safe to start with an intermediate grammar that brings to an advanced level. Of course I'm open to advices.
Thank you again!

Medulin wrote:
Nova Gramática do Português Contemporâneo - 6ª Ed. 2013
by Cintra, Lindley; Cunha, Celso

wow this is expensive :S

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5062 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 5 of 10
23 April 2015 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
A grammar from Portugal that I've found useful and that I consult regularly is Gramática de português para estrangeiros at about €19 from Amazon.es. It's monolingual Portuguese.

tristano wrote:
Of course I'm open to advices

I know you haven't asked for correction, but I've noticed you make this mistake routinely. The word advice is not plural in English. One doesn't ask for advices, one asks for advice. I only point it out because it seems to be a consistent error and is probably fossilized, and it doesn't look like anyone else is willing.

Boa sorte com os seus estudos no idioma português!

Edited by iguanamon on 23 April 2015 at 4:49pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 10
23 April 2015 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
I was taught to say "piece of advice" if you really need to make it singular. Or you can say tip(s) sometimes. (It's one of those cases where English is a weirdo globally, I think. how is advice different from statements or ideas?)

As for the original topic, the biggest differences are in the very basics, I'd say. You might like this article by Benny too, though it focuses on Brazilian Portuguese. And you have a fb message with a link I can't post here ;)

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3847 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 7 of 10
24 April 2015 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm sure that I already answered to @Luso's unit of advice :D
Well. Thank you very much for the correction! I think I said "advices" thousands of times and the automatic corrector
also never corrected me so you're the very first! Please feel free to correct me!!
Thank you for the advice on the book. I couldn't find reviews on Amazon. Are there exercises on it or it is a
reference grammar? Thanks again!

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5062 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 8 of 10
24 April 2015 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
You're welcome, tristano. The book I have has no exercises. It's a reference, and a very good one at that. I'ts from Porto Editora in Portugal and intended for foreigners as the title says.

Have a look at this page at word reference forum for more detail about advices. I tested it out with my spelling corrector too on Firefox and it doesn't correct it. I was curious, so, I consulted word reference. Apparently, the word is used in rare cases in certain business contexts. This is another example of why spelling correction can't be trusted 100% of the time- it can't judge a word in context, yet.

Edited by iguanamon on 25 April 2015 at 8:51pm

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version