Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 19
24 April 2015 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
Wikipedia doesn't have an article on
Polyliteracy.

Anyone with skillZ who can read and follow some directions can
create a Wikipedia article. I'm short
on a couple of those requirements, but I would be inclined to flesh out an article like that out (primarily based
upon the writings and talks that Professor Arguelles has
given
).

Of course, the Wikipedia Community will do most of the work.

Who's got skillZ and wants to start making the world a better place?

Edited by luke on 24 April 2015 at 2:57am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 19
24 April 2015 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
You can write an article fo the HTLAL wikia first?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4812 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 3 of 19
24 April 2015 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
Is polyliteracy something more than literacy in more than one language ?

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 4 of 19
24 April 2015 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
You can write an article fo the HTLAL wikia first?

Writing an article for the HTLAL wikia did cross my mind. I like the HTLAL wikia. It really is a great resource.

Wikipedia is bigger in scope, purpose, and perhaps longevity.

Polyliteracy, as described by Professor Arguelles, brought the word to life for me personally. I think the idea as either a scholarly or personal pursuit has great merit.

One of the beauties of Wikipedia is there are already hundreds of articles in dozens of languages on specific books and topics that fall under the compass of polyliteracy. I have updated a few of those articles with external links to various free audio from http://librivox.org/ and http://litteratureaudio.com/. I plan to do more of that. Others have already done so and will continue to do so.

Fundamentally, the idea is to extend and enrich a resource that already exists. The goal is to help anyone who may be interested in either a polyliteracy path or who has in interest in "Great Books" find helpful resources. A Wikipedia article on polyliteracy would be just another tiny component in bringing the Professor's vision into reality.

Anyway, behind the scenes, it's easier for me to edit Wikipedia codes than use the "article builder" I linked to earlier. I was thinking someone, perhaps younger, who is at perfect ease with a GUI like that would find creating tbe initial stub both trivial and worthwhile.

Content wise, the article could start with something as basic as:

"Polyliteracy joins the disciplines of Comparative Philology with a Great Books education."

Then a goober like me could come in and create links to Comparitive Linguistics, which is where Wikipedia takes a "comparative philology" search, and "great books". From there, fleshing out the article would begin to take its natural course.

Edited by luke on 24 April 2015 at 10:33am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 5 of 19
24 April 2015 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
Is polyliteracy something more than literacy in more than one language ?

To me, that's almost a philosophical question.

One area where a distinction could be made from "literacy in more than one language" is to use Professor Arguelles framework for what Polyliteracy encompasses.

His ideas for a curriculum for polyliteracy give a general idea of how it might be studied in an academic program.

At 48:30 into , Professor Arguelles talk on Reading Literature in Foreign Languages, he moves on to the topic of Polyliteracy. He defines it as, "a quest to read and understand and appreciate culturally significant texts from multiple places and times as they were originally written".

Edited by luke on 24 April 2015 at 10:32am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 19
24 April 2015 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I mostly meant that on the HTLAL wikia you can write anything you want, whereas wikipedia has criteria that you have to meet. It can also serve as a sandbox.

You have to start with exploring the existing articles, such as the ones on Prof Argüelles, polymath/renaissance man and polyglottery, great books. Is there really enough information for a separate article? Remember that wiki is supposed to provide academic/theoretical information, not practical advice.

Edited by Serpent on 24 April 2015 at 5:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4854 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 7 of 19
24 April 2015 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Is there any reliable source other than Arguelles himself which uses polyliteracy to refer to the study of great books
in the original in many languages? A google search turns up relatively little.

That leads me to think that the best place to write about this topic on Wikipedia would not be a separate article, but
as a section in the article on Arguelles.

(Mere literacy in multiple languages should of course be explained on the article about polyglotism.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 8 of 19
25 April 2015 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
Someone had to coin the term. It may have been Professor Arguelles. I haven't investigated its etymology. I
don't know if he believes he coined the term or not. From watching his videos, I gather that he sees his gift in
the area of helping others learn languages based on his trial, error, and first hand experience.

Polyliteracy is an outgrowth and a more general and rebellious notion. That is, that appreciation for the Great
Ideas may be obscured by translation, mistranslation, lack of understanding on the part of the student as well
as the translator.

His notion of an institute, whether merely as an academic institution and way to foster the development of
polyglots, or an intense place where birds of a feather could flock together, or of a mileau in which free and
talented minds could continue to ask, answer, and discuss the Great Questions is open to debate. One
potential byproduct of polyliteracy could be more faithful translations than any produced so far.

I was just, and still am, hoping that someone of a like mind, but with more talent or experience in article
creation would take that next crucial step.

Edited by luke on 25 April 2015 at 2:11am

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version