France
Joined 3303 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 12
30 April 2015 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
Hi !

I'm french and I'm learning Spanish because I'll spend some time in South America during a
round the world trip that start in August. Here's my introduction : http://how-to-learn-any-
language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40392&PN=1

I've started working for about a month, in october. I mostly used duolingo. Then I had to
stop because of a large period of crunch time at work. Here I am again, and hopefully work
won't get in the way.

My goal is simple : I want to be able to learn as much Spanish as possible before
leaving
(in total, that's about 3 months of learning). Then I'll try to keep working on
spanish during the first half of my trip (when I won't be in South America), then I'll use
the language.

So right now I'm learning the basics. Later, I'll focus on understanding efficiently,
learning vocabulary and grammar, but at first I'll focus on the (reasonnable) volume of
lessons.
My goal right now is to work every day on 3 resources. I have set a milestone on
may, 15th
: it'll be the end of a month of daily work of Spanish.

1. Mi vida loca. The goal is to finish the videos. Even if I find it too simple, the
    format is really great and I learn things anyway. It also has some vocabulary and exercises,
    it's nice.

2. Language Transfer -> Complete Spanish : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?
    list=PLeA5t3dWTWvvwf5fw0Nl7mVk0OUjP1Ln2
    That's really great. I'd like to reach lesson 30 by May 15th. I think this is the best
    ressource I've found for learning grammar without thinking much about it and without diving
    in lessons, but I'm not good at doing only listening.

3. Reading and listening to El principito. That's the most challenging, due to my
    limited knowledge of the language. but it's also the most satisfactory : I can already use
    the language (well, the fact that Spanish is really close to french really helps)
    There are 27 chapters, I plan to reach the end of the book, by the end of the milestone. I
    don't get everything but at the very least, I get the gist.
    There are various ways to work through it. When I have time especially during weekends, I
    read it first, translate as much as I can to get the chapter. Then I read it again with the
    audio, then I listen to the chapter. During the week, I'm happy to simply finish reading and
    understanding the chapter.

It takes about 1h-1h30 every day. It required some adjustements in my day to day
organisation (sleeping more and earlier for better retention), listening to Language
Transfer during breakfast instead of the news on the radio, but I like it so far. Having an
achievable target really helps being focused and seeing progress in the various books. I did
similar 1-month challenge in other domains, that's really great to build an habit of working
everyday.

I use anki (I make cards for everything) and some paper notes as well, but it's mostly
reading and listening at the moment. Later (and as soon as possible), I'll use italki to
find language buddies, write and talk. I guess I'll watch Extr@ Spanish
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pggZV0ETjI&list=PL-wlhjBlJ MB9Hlva6V5Fd_1NWUeJ3IkCX).
Despite the style, it blends basic vocabulary with simple sentences. I got the first episode
so I guess I could already do it, but I do not have enough time and it'd have impact on my
memorization). Maybe some duolingo as well... but my retention of new vocabulary with
duolingo is not very good and I find the sentences to be too simple so far.

During my trip, I hope to be able to read books and listen to podcasts, but first I need to
be able to have enough understanding and vocabulary to understand more and more stuff
without dictionnary or looking them up.

The great thing is that it though, slightly outside my comfort zone, but achievable and I
find it very satisfactoring so far.
3 persons have voted this message useful

clemK23
Diglot
France
Joined 3303 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes

Message 2 of 12
30 April 2015 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
The situation today, about halfway through the first month of serious work :

- I did lesson 13 of Complete Spanish this morning (out of 90, but my goal is to reach lesson
30 first)
- reached lesson 14 (out of 22) of Mi vida Loca
- reached chapter 12 of El principito (out of 27)

The goal is to reach all the goals by May 15th.
1 person has voted this message useful

clemK23
Diglot
France
Joined 3303 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes

Message 3 of 12
03 May 2015 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
I had some more time during the last few days, so on top of advancing in my daily program, I tried some new
stuff : I watched 2 episodes of Extr@ Spanish and read 2 small novels with audio
- Los Tres Cerditos : http://albalearning.com/audiolibros/cuentos/lostrescerditos. html
- La lepra http://albalearning.com/audiolibros/apollinaire/lepra-sp-fr. html

Los tres cerditos was easy, everybody knows the story (at least here in france). I had to lookup for a few
words, but it was nice to see I could get most of the text.
La lepra is a harder text, I did not know the story. Thanks to the french translation next to it it was easy
to understand the main idea of the text. I'll have to spend a lot of time on verbs and the various tenses.
Sometimes tenses got in the way. I also lack a lot of basic vocabulary, but it's going to build itself in the
upcoming weeks.
If I can find larger texts like this, when I have sufficient basic vocabulary (a few hundreds of common words
and verbs) I might work using L+R method more. I really loved the experiment.

I also watched episodes 2 and 3 of Extr@ Spanish, with audio, no subtitles and no transcript. It's meant for
beginners so it's easy. Again, I have to learn many words, but I could figure them out thanks to the context
(and because a lot of them are transparent. I don't think this is a good way to learn stuff, but it's nice for
exposure : it's slightly harder than my current level, but it uses a lot of the stuff I already know. So As
emk said, I can both cheat and reinforce (http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?
TID=39493). That's good for me so far, even if they do not speak at full speed (and I hate the laugh sounds
behind).

Apart from that, I still have mixed feelings regarding Mi vida loca. It's really well done, they clearly put a
lot of efforts into it. However the lessons are very basic. And at the same time I find that some dialogs when
you are not involved, at full speed, are too hard to get. Maybe that's not the best tool to use for me, but
I'm going to finish it since I learn things at every episode (and I want to know the end of the story !).

I'm not monitoring how long I spent working on my Spanish, but for the daily work it's still around 1h/1h30,
and I try not to do too much more.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 12
03 May 2015 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
Hi, nice log and goals! I wish you lots of luck and fun. I've read your introduction
and I am looking forward to reading more from you in the log.

Careful about Duolingo. While the idea is good and, for example, their German course
is very useful, there are some troubles about the Spanish one. I didn't like the
speaker, they overuse personal pronouns (which is something totally unnatural and not
entirely correct), they use weird vocabulary I don't meet anywhere else much.

You should have no trouble learning Spanish, it is pretty easy after French, even
though there are differences one gets used to. ;-) And while it is really easy to
learn the basics, getting to high level is another story.

You should have no trouble getting to fun resources soon, there is really a lot to
choose from. Are you going to use some explicit grammar source as well? I find it very
useful for clearing things up and distinguishing the Spanish grammar from the French
one.

You might be interested in joining the 6WC (6 week challenge). It is basically a
friendly "contest" where we just log in the time spent on a main target language. It
can be quite motivating :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Clarity
Groupie
United States
Joined 3318 days ago

85 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 12
03 May 2015 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the logs! I had fun watching Extr@ too and also Nuevos Destinos. A few people have mentioned Language Transfer and "grammar without thinking about it" does sound very appealing. I should check it out. Just out of curiosity, where are you going in South America?    

clemK23
Diglot
France
Joined 3303 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes

Message 6 of 12
05 May 2015 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Hi Cavesa and Clarity,
Thanks for the advice !
I'm aware Spanish is really not a hard language to learn since I already speak french and,
to a lesser extent, English. With such a language every day of work brings visible
progress, that's very motivating, but yeah, I guess learning quickly this language won't be
an achievement. I don't care about that, but I'm quite interested about how far I can go in
3 months.

That's too bad Duolingo for Spanish is not correctly done and thus, is not a good resource
for learning Spanish. I like that they group things by theme and the use of gamification
makes the application fun to use. Coupled with anki I thought it could be great :/

I do plan on looking for grammar. I'm not a huge fan of sitting in front of a textbook, but
I'm definitely sure spending a reasonnable amount of time on it will make me save a lot of
time afterwards. Once I'll be trying to build my own complex sentences, I'll probably need
to work into that... not sure of the best methodology yet. At the moment I have not even
looked for resources actually (if you have some good links, I'm interested. Clarity, you
were talking about "grammar without thinking about it", I googled it and search the forum,
but could not find something. Were you thinking about something in particular ?).

I'll also look into 6WC but I think that's more or less what I'm doing right now.

Reached
- Mi vida loca 17/22
- El principito 15/27
- Language Transfer 17/30
... this weekend I couldn't help but watched Extr@ Spanish 4/13 (I'll have to look at
Nuevos Destinos afterwards I guess, I did not know about it, thanks !)
Right now I'm a bit late on schedule, this week is the complete opposite of the previous
one. I'm going to be quite busy and I'll struggle to spend my free time working on
spanish.

Almost forgot : I'll be going to Chile, Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador, and I'll be in the area
for 5-6 months. That's very far away though, in almost a year from now.

clemK23
Diglot
France
Joined 3303 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes

Message 7 of 12
11 May 2015 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
- Finished Mi vida loca. That's definitely a great course, I encourage beginners like me to
try it out. It covers all the basic things : introduction, colors, direction, clothes, number, time,
weather... That's for complete beginners though, and sometimes I found it too slow-paced.
- 24/30 in complete Spanish. I like it and yet don't spend enough time on this.
- 21/27 in El principito. Some chapters are very easy, some are quite challenging. The 21st is
both long and challenging, I had a hard time finishing it.

I'm a bit late on schedule for May 15th, but pretty satisfied with the result any.

I also still do some Anki. It's quite time consuming actually ! I didn't watch how long it
takes until yesterday. Took me twice 20 minutes, yesterday and today, only reviewing flashcards.
Thanks to a chrome extension + ankiweb it's really convenient to add cards when browsing, so I make
cards any time I think something may be useful.
I've also added 2 pre-made decks off basic vocabulary (10 new cards a day), but that's really not
something that works for me, I guess I'll stop that.

Once Mi vida loca is done, among the suggestions the BBC website lead me to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mundo which contains articles on various subjects, that's quite nice for
improving passive understanding I guess. I managed to understand a few basic articles, at least
superficially, it could be a good source of daily reading for the next step of my learning.

Ho, and I tried to listen to a random podcast from the Spanish radio : it was like listening to a
totally different language. Still a long way to go...

Clarity
Groupie
United States
Joined 3318 days ago

85 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 8 of 12
12 May 2015 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
Hi clemK23! You are so lucky to have so much time in South America! I'm sure your Spanish will improve quite a lot. I haven't been to Bolivia or Chile, but I loved Ecuador and Peru. I hope to go back there some day.

I'm really sorry that I led you to believe there was a different method of learning grammar without thinking. I was actually sort of quoting what you had said before about Language Transfer. But if you do find a grammar learning method that is painless, please post here on the boards! I would be very interested in it!   

clemK23 wrote:
  • Language Transfer -> Complete Spanish :
    That's really great. I'd like to reach lesson 30 by May 15th. I think this is the best
    ressource I've found for learning grammar without thinking much about it and without diving in lessons, but I'm not good at doing only listening.

• 1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version