United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5023 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 1 of 6
01 May 2015 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Don't know if anyone is aware of this website. It is a proof-reader for your text and does multiple languages.

https://www.languagetool.org/
3 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5653 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 2 of 6
02 May 2015 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
It claims:

"It finds many errors that a simple spell checker cannot detect and several grammar problems."

I tried it for Dutch. It finds spelling mistakes and offers good corrections. But on a sample
of one paragraph, it totally ignored any other kind of error (missing words, definite
articles, tenses, grammar). Despite many deliberate errors, it happily proclaimed "Geen
aandachtspunten gevonden". (literally, no attention points found).

2 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3886 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 3 of 6
02 May 2015 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
It does okay with French for telling you that you've repeated nouns, when you could use pronouns, and pointing out when you need the subjunctive or your genders don't match. For Breton, it's okay for pointing out missed or incorrect mutations, incorrectly gendered numbers, that you forgot to change a definite article after mutating or when you follow a word that must take a verb with something that isn't a verb. Beyond that, it doesn't do much, but for a free tool it's just about the best out there. You just have to know its limitations, which vary from language to language. You don't necessarily have a good sentence just because it got a passing grade. You don't necessarily have a sentence that makes sense to a native speaker. It just doesn't have any glaring mistakes within a particular subset of implemented grammar rules.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5023 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 4 of 6
02 May 2015 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
It is an opensource project and they are always looking for help. In fact there is a rule editor in the contribution section, so if you see missing stuff you can add it yourself. Don't forget that no grammar/spell checker is 100% accurate.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I just liked the idea someone had taken the time to write a multi-linqual, free, opensource proofreader.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5653 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 5 of 6
02 May 2015 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Spell-checking is relatively easy compared with other errors. In fact, even straight
grammar correction must be extremely complex as witnessed by the problems Google
Translate still has, even between mainstream languages. I haven't yet offered any
sentence or grammar corrections because the built-in rule editor takes some considerable
understanding. But it looks interesting. And there is Java code available that also could
be interesting.

To illustrate the difficulty, consider this simple example of an incorrect sentence:

I bought too apples.

The correct sentence might be:

I bought two apples.
I too bought apples.
I bought apples too.

It would appear to be easier to correct than:

I bought to apples.

But do we really know that maybe a none-native English speaker really wanted to say:

I bought apples too.

So try to write rules for such corrections? Not easy. And this is a very simple example.

I dont no if speling and grammer will be more easy too make better then we thinking!

Edited by tommus on 02 May 2015 at 5:43pm

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4846 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 6 of 6
02 May 2015 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
I like LanguageTool. No automatic proofreader will spit out fully corrected text - even for a human to do so requires
a lot of training and knowledge about the context of the writing. But it definitely catches lots of things that a text
editor or word processor wouldn't.

To really judge its merits, one should compare it to other available products. What else is out there?

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version