Triglot
Australia
Joined 3393 days ago

19 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Macedonian*, English, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Turkish

Message 1 of 8
02 May 2015 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Who would have thought? Spanish is weird (relatively speaking), but Hungarian isn't.

Check this link if you haven't before.

http://idibon.com/the-weirdest-languages/

6 persons have voted this message useful

Labebrett
Diglot
Canada
Joined 3932 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 2 of 8
07 May 2015 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
This is pretty interesting. I wouldn't have expected certain related languages to be so disparate.
1 person has voted this message useful

taqseem
Switzerland
Joined 5453 days ago

34 posts - 47 votes
Studies: English

Message 3 of 8
09 May 2015 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
i always knew there was something wrong with German.

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4012 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 8
09 May 2015 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
As a Finnish speaker IE languages are all super weird to me. Possessive adjectives, noun gender, the verb "to have", reflexive pronoun... I was amused that Swedish and Norwegian were a lot higher than Icelandic on the weirdness scale though.
3 persons have voted this message useful

richarddylan126
United States
Joined 3113 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 5 of 8
17 October 2015 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
rodrigoau wrote:
Who would have thought? Spanish is weird (relatively speaking), but
Hungarian isn't.

I think Spanish is not in the list of weird languages. I was reading something about
languages somehow through google i found a list. Here is the list of weird languages
10. Archi
9. Yupik
8. Sentinelese
7. Pawnee
6. Silbo Gomero
5. Xhosa
4. Pirahã
3. Rotokas
2. Khoisan
1. !Xóõ (Taa)

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 6 of 8
17 October 2015 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
richarddylan126 wrote:
Here is the list of weird languages
10. Archi
9. Yupik
8. Sentinelese
7. Pawnee
6. Silbo Gomero
5. Xhosa
4. Pirahã
3. Rotokas
2. Khoisan
1. !Xóõ (Taa)

Never heard any of them.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4531 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 7 of 8
18 October 2015 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
richarddylan126 wrote:
rodrigoau wrote:
Who would have thought? Spanish is weird (relatively speaking), but
Hungarian isn't.

I think Spanish is not in the list of weird languages. I was reading something about
languages somehow through google i found a list. Here is the list of weird languages
10. Archi
9. Yupik
8. Sentinelese
7. Pawnee
6. Silbo Gomero
5. Xhosa
4. Pirahã
3. Rotokas
2. Khoisan
1. !Xóõ (Taa)
I've seen this list before, and it's hardly "the list" of weird languages. It's just a list of languages with unique or uncommon features that one author found to be weirder than most. The researchers from the OP's article tried to come up with an objective measure of "weirdness" based a number of comparable features across a large number of languages. While this study is far from comprehensive and the researchers' approach does have some questionable aspects (for example, not taking into account the native speaker populations and their share in the global human population), it's something very different from one guy writing up a few "obscure" languages and hyping up one or two "weird" features of each.

Edited by vonPeterhof on 18 October 2015 at 8:37am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 8
23 October 2015 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
I have now read the article about weirdness, and the first observation is that it is based on The World Atlas of Language Structures (WALS), and I would normally consider that as a fairly trustworthy source. The question is what the researchers have done to define weirdness, and here it seems that they first filter out some languages with insufficient data, and then they let each remaining language have one 'vote'. And then they base their calculations on the percentage of language that share a certain feature (as defined in WALS). The lower the percentage, the higher contribuition of that feature to the weirdness index.

This definition is actually quite logical, but maybe it would have been better to speak about 'atypical' or 'unusual' languages - not because of any negative connotations that may cling to the word "weird", but because this isn't an investigation based on qualitative evaluations apart from in the choice of checked features: once the features and the languages have been defined it ONLY deals with frequencies.

For instance the article mentions that inversion in yes-no questions is very rare: only 1,4% of the languages under consideration have this feature, and they are clustered in Europe. Attached question particles are much more common, and therefore it is quite logical that inversion in questions adds to the weirdness index.

And in spite of being a weirdo English has become a world language spoken by hundreds of millions of people, so the question is what practical consequences being weird have for the users and learners of a language. The silly orthography and chaotic rules for the use of prepositions pose more problems for learners of English than things like "do" and the odd inversion here and there do.

Edited by Iversen on 23 October 2015 at 1:23pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version