Triglot
Canada
Joined 4226 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 9 of 9
29 January 2017 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
The only 1 thing I have problem with is the question about "using a language" at work. I have to communicate with people while on the job from day to day but mainly in English. When you talk about the language at work, are you referring to just the official language? In my case this would be English. I didn't really have to convince anybody I have trouble with my fluency. In some job situations such as a Customer Service Representative, a second or even a third language would be helpful because you are communicating with clients everyday who may / may not be fluent in English. Also, some people may find it easier to communicate to certain people on the phone in their native language but not necessarily the official language like someone who emigrated from another country. Unless the job require you to speak specific languages, even applying for a job at a call center you can tell your employer that you are fluent in Spanish or Portuguese (for instance) on top of English and go to work the next day without having to take any language fluency test.

Edited by shk00design on 29 January 2017 at 6:31am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version