United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 1 of 2
08 May 2015 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
Wie sagt man in der Regel grössere Zimmernummern oder Wohnungsnummern auf Deutsch? Leider, habe ich schon vergessen. Ich meine, sollte ich "12-34" für Zimmernummer 1234 sagen, oder etwas anders?

Und wie wäre es mit Telefonnummern, gibt es eine ähnliche Faustregel?

1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4316 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 2 of 2
08 May 2015 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Differs by region and individuals.

I would split. So 12-24 (zwölf vierundzwanzig), 2-54 (zwei vierundfünfzig), etc. I think you could also say the number as written, eg. tausendzweihundertvierundzanzig. You can probably find people who would pronounce each digit separately. In the end it doesn't matter, you will be understood. Door numbers are short enough.

For phone numbers I see two main patterns:
either you split in groups of 2 like above (or 3 for the first or last tripple, if the number doesn't have an even number of digits, but split that again in two parts like above).
The other way is to pronounce each digit separately, but you make pronunciation clusters (ie. you group by prosody). This latter way seems to be most widespread in Germany. How the grouping is realized can differ though (2 or 3 digits per cluster, different prosody pattern, ...).

Edited by daegga on 08 May 2015 at 10:14pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version