Joined 3409 days ago

56 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, French
Studies: Italian, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 25 of 34
18 May 2015 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
That's the book finished :)

I hit a magic spell on Sunday when things flowed. I still had to use a dictionary but found that I could understand entire sentences, just with one word missing. It was a nice feeling to be able to guess new words correctly too.

I'm feeling all Swedished and Asterixed out, so will probably not touch either today, but I'd certainly like to read the whole book again before we head off. I'd also be very interested in listening to the audio version, because I know that I'm not voicing things remotely correctly.

Notes to myself:

- Det där skulle du inte ha gjort (= You shouldn't have done that)

This is a construction that I haven't seen before in the story and I'm delighted to have met it. It's so very close to the English version, much more so than is the case with the other languages that I know. Added nerd-points for highlighting the family relationship.

- Vi skulle vilja träffa laget (= We would like to meet the team)

News to me that the verb corresponding to jag vill etc is actually vilja. I wouldn't have expected that. That's an important one to know if I want to be polite and avoid the very direct "I want".

- Det här spelet borde vi ha i Gallien också! (= We should have this game in Gaul too!)

And another form expressing "should".

Thank you to all of you who have left helpful comments. Mission accomplished!

1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4323 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 26 of 34
18 May 2015 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
Have fun in Sweden. Would you now understand other Asterix stories without a dictionary?
If so, there might be something to watch during the flight: Asterix och Vikingarna

Meddysong
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 3409 days ago

56 posts - 84 votes 

Message 27 of 34
19 May 2015 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
Have fun in Sweden.

Thanks! We're only going for a couple of nights but we're really looking forward to it. We'll be arriving in Gothenburg, spend a couple of hours there, and then head north to a town/village called Ljungskile, where we'll be spending time in a cabin by the lake, surrounded by forest. It should be a lovely couple of days, and help my wife de-stress from her working life, which is what my aim was in booking this.

Quote:
Would you now understand other Asterix stories without a dictionary?

No chance - none at all. I have no vocab whatsoever, which has always been my weakness with languages. I absorb the mechanics of the language because I'm wired like that, so I know the recipes to come out with a functional result ... but I don't have the discipline or patience to acquire the ingredients.

It's a bit different with French because I used to live there and my best friends happened to be monolingual French people, and I've been immersed in Esperanto at different points. So in both of those languages I'm functionally fluent through years of exposure and a fair bit of a time investment. But Swedish is so far away from my comfort zone of Romance languages that I can't just look at words and usually get them right. And as for listening ... well, I've only been attempting this project for a week! There's no way I could listen to something and understand without having text support.

We'll see how I feel afterwards. I'm going to try to resist the temptation to do something stupid like buy a book when I'm there with the aim of reading it but ... if the first Asterix were there, I would definitely feel the compulsion of buying it, since I already have it in Latin, French, Catalan, Italian, Spanish and Esperanto. And I have a suspicion that if I found a copy of Ken Follett's Eye of the Needle, I'd buy that too, since we already have copies of that in various languages in this house.

Since I know myself well enough to know I can't be trusted in bookshops, I'll just have to avoid them!

Meddysong
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 3409 days ago

56 posts - 84 votes 

Message 28 of 34
23 May 2015 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Hej från Ljungskile!

It involved getting up at 02:00 but the happy result is that we've visited Göteborg and are now in Ljungskile. We have a beautiful view from our terrace:

I've already been in a bookshop. It was pretty much the first thing I did when we got here! I managed to resist the temptation to do something stupid, though. I found translations of two Ken Follett books and was tempted, but I've learnt my lesson; the English versions were about 1,000 pages so I've been disciplined and didn't pick them up.

That said, I would like to try tracking down Asterix though. I'm a sucker for it. So ... could somebody please let me know the names of the big-name bookstores, so that I can Google them for when we're next in Göteborg on Monday? Thanks!
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6711 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 34
24 May 2015 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
These two will probably cover most of what you may be interested in:
SF-bokhandeln (Sci-fi, fantasy etc.) - - Kungsgatan 19
Akademibokhandeln (several stores in Göteborg)

Some more hits from Google:
The Book Corner - Rosenlundsgatan 3
Mariaplans bokhandel - Slottsskogsgatan 46 B

Enjoy your stay in Sweden!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6399 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 30 of 34
24 May 2015 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
Awwww I've seen it!!! Now I want to go back one day... in 2006 I didn't even enter.

edit: this one is in Stockholm.

Edited by Serpent on 24 May 2015 at 3:43am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6399 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 31 of 34
24 May 2015 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
And yay Clare :)))
Relax, both of you :) a cabin by the lake sounds amazing!

Meddysong
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 3409 days ago

56 posts - 84 votes 

Message 32 of 34
24 May 2015 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
Thank you, Jeff :)

Serpent wrote:

Relax, both of you :)

That's exactly what she's supposed to be doing. Of course, she got too excited for Eurovision and stayed up watching it, so that made for a 22-hour day yesterday. And I can't sleep if there's natural light (not a problem for Clare!) so I've had four hours' sleep one night and then three the next. But I don't need to relax (no stress at all in my life), so that's OK :)

Best thing about Eurovision was Clare typing an entry on our travel blog and then looking up to say "Thought I recognised that. It's Montenegrin." She's watched so much Montenegrin TV lately that she can pick out the language when somebody is singing it!

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version