United Kingdom
Joined 3552 days ago

66 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin, Czech, French

Message 1 of 5
10 May 2015 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Hi.

I was wondering whether anyone has any advice/recommendations for learning Navajo. I’m
interested in learning it but the resources seem to be few and far between. :(

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3466 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 2 of 5
10 May 2015 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
There is no consensus regarding morphological typology of Navajo, so it won't make
sense to give you some examples on Navajo "comparing" with English as I wanted.

In any case, I would recommend you paying an extra attention on the verbs because they
are the most important parts on their sentences. For instance, numerous prefixes
combine with verb roots to form single words that were mistranslated or not well
translated in the books I owned.

It took some time to figure out what the authors meant when they described some
aspects because of the lack of explanation. For instance, the “continuative” and the
“durative” differences were not well covered in my books. Locomotive verbs are by
default considered “continuative” according to the latest works I have seen (2012?).

On Dictionaries

Navajo-English Dictionary (Hippocrene Dictionary) 1994

This book could be a good complement to a collection of Navajo materials, but doesn't
do much good on its own. This is a good acquisition if you already speak and read
Navajo. It is definitely not intended for beginners. Note that there are different
printings and the one I got is much better than the old or another version of the book
I owned. In the “old” or the “weird” version, apparently the font is sometimes
unintelligible. I am just being picky here.

The New Oxford Picture Dictionary: English-Navajo Editon (The New Oxford Picture
Dictionary

If you are a visual learner, this book might help you to learn some nouns; however,
one of the main problems of the book I’d like to leave a comment here is regarding the
applicability of certain nouns. For instance, why would I learn about sea-related
words when it comes to the rural Navajo lands? It doesn’t seem to be useful. When
considering some set of words that don’t apply for Navajo culture and most people’s,
this book contains information that are definitely not the priority for a beginner
student, unless you are going to discuss about Neptune in Navajo language with Navajo
people when there are many other themes to discuss about.

Navajo/English Dictionary of Verbs (2006) by Alyse Neundorf, Robert W. Young

I am sure this will be a very good complement since verbs are the most important part
of the Navajo grammar in my opinion. I highly recommend it for anybody interested in
grasping a better undestanding of the Navajo verb form.

4. A Navajo/English Bilingual Dictionary: Alchini Bi Naaltsoostsoh (2005) by Alyse
Neundorf

This dictionary is from the same author from above (3). There are Navajo names and
some small pictures (white and black) since it was originally designed for children,
though any adults can make a good use of this dictionary.

5. The English-Navajo Children's Picture Dictionary by Roman de los Santos.

6. http://www.alphadictionary.com/directory/Languages/North_Ame
rican_Languages/Navajo/

Textbooks

Diné Bizaad: Speak, Read, Write Navajo (2004)
This is one of the few Navajo textbooks I liked. It was a really expensive for my
little budget (for not very popular languages) since you have to purchase both
textbooks and the audios separately. It doesn’t make sense to use this book without
its audio (CDs).

Breakthrough Navajo: An Introductory Course (1992)
One of the worst courses I have seen. I would not purchase it if you have Diné’s book
in the market.

There are other textbooks available, but I haven't seen its contents.

Reading

The Hero Twins: A Navajo-English Story of the Monster Slayers
Day and Night by Nedra Emery.

Others

I think you should take a look on:

http://navajonow.com/

It is not being updated anymore, I think, but you can find there many links that are
still working related to Navajo resources. It doesn’t make sense to copy and paste all
of them here. I myself have used some of them and I would recommend them.

http://www.language-archives.org/language/nav

If you are interested in Linguistics, there are some articles on the website above.

http://www.native-languages.org/navajo.htm
It contains more links to Navajo.

http://www.angelfire.com/nv/navaholang/index2.html

This is all I can remember now. I remember that if you are in US, you can easily
purchase books (bilingual) for children. I couldn't buy any of them because apparently
the bookstore only sells within Europe or US, but I remember that I read copies of
them.

Good luck in your studies.

Edited by Nieng Zhonghan on 11 May 2015 at 8:37pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5203 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 3 of 5
11 May 2015 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
I haven't really studied Navajo but I second Nieng Zhonghan, Diné Bizaad seems to be one of the only usable textbooks.

An amazing resource is Blair's Navaho Basic Course, which is an FSI-like Navajo course with plenty of execises. The main drawback is that audio is not online (at least it wasn't a couple of years ago).

In order to get accustomed to the sound of Navajo, I found Lapahie sound dictionary invaluable.

Don't forget to check the UNM Libraries Native American language children's books. It features around 80 children books in Navajo.

There is surprisingly few regularly updated audio content online. An (almost) daily 10-min podcast can be downloaded here.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Rem
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3552 days ago

66 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin, Czech, French

Message 4 of 5
11 May 2015 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Thank you both for your responses. :)

The Diné Bizaad; Speak, Read, Write Navajo textbook looks like it could be worth a
try. Do you have any suggestions for where I might be able to buy the audios for it? I
found the book easily enough but the audios seem to be another matter (I’m in the UK
which probably doesn’t help).

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 5
11 May 2015 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
Brian Loo gave several lectures on Native American languages at the Polyglot Gathering in Berlin last week, one of them was an introduction to Navajo. He can probably give you some suggestions. A search for brian loo navajo points you to appropriate channels.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version