Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5315 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 1 of 3
11 May 2015 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Conversa-Phone seem to have produced courses in the 1960s and 70s - from 1 Lp Round the
World courses in lots of languages and more focused The Modern Method 4 LP courses.

Anyone ever try them?
1 person has voted this message useful

pfn123
Australia
Joined 4833 days ago

171 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 3
12 May 2015 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
I've never used 'Conversa-Phone' -- in fact, I'd never even heard of it. But I did a little searching, and you might find the following interesting:

Article about Conversaphone

A short excerpt from a course

Reading the description in the article, it sounds a lot like the Cortina X in Twenty Lessons courses. The numbers in the text direct you to grammar explanations. In Cortina courses, the numbers direct you to footnotes, but then the footnotes direct you to a comprehensive grammar.

And is it just me, or does the conversation in the Youtube clip sound really stilted and unnatural? In the article, the writer says that the recordings for the Portuguese course were made by two teaches. I think proper actors, who can emote, would be better.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3802 days ago

507 posts - 1095 votes 
Studies: German

Message 3 of 3
22 September 2017 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Recently, I purchased a copy of each of Conversa-phone's "Round-The-Word" and "The Modern Method" courses. I have submitted a description of the materials along with an evaluation to the A LANGUAGE LEARNERS' FORUM: Conversa-phone Language Courses

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version