Diglot
Canada
Joined 4127 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Catalan, Spanish, Japanese, Ukrainian, German

Message 9 of 9
16 May 2015 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
I feel like the N1 is somewhere between the B1-B2 range, honestly. I passed the N1 in 2012 and still feel like
my French is miles ahead of my Japanese even though my French is only somewhere in the B2-C1 range.

Anyway, here's my advice: kanji plays a big role in learning Japanese to a high level. If you want to be
proficient in Japanese, it's a good idea to learn as many as you can. However, do not get caught up in the
numbers game. The number of kanji you know does not equate to how well you understand Japanese.
Familiarizing yourself with non kanji words, words that use kanji you already know and different sentence
patterns is extremely valuable.

It's easy to think that learning a word with rarer kanji like 醍醐味 is more important than learning 突き止める
just because you already know the more common kanji in the latter.

In my experience, it's very helpful to study kanji seriously, but also to focus on comprehension over kanji.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version