Diglot
Australia
Joined 4423 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 9 of 18
18 May 2015 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
It sucks to say but mostly I think you've got to just keep doing what you've been doing.

However one small thing that could help your comprehension of TV is studying accents. Some people have a great ear
for accents and seem to notice naturally the variations that natives are throwing at them. But some of us need a bit
of formal help, we need to be told exactly what crazy sound-changes natives make before we can spot when they're
doing it.

For English, the book "How to do Accents", by Edda Sharpe and Jan Haydn Rowles, is great. It's written for actors, so
it presents concepts nice and simple. It describes the varied ways the sounds of English are pronounced by different
native speakers.

I also suggest reading a book on English pronunciation for Polish speakers since that will focus on specific issues
that would be likely to trip you up. (yes these books are intended to improve your accent, but in fact they're
very useful for comprehension as well)

Edited by AlexTG on 18 May 2015 at 11:31am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4794 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 10 of 18
18 May 2015 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
I agree with lots of advice given even though I would add a bit more optimism.

Comprehension of tv is not neglected on this forum, quite the opposite. And it is a
great step towards understanding normal natives in situ. French tv series were the
main part of my progress towards C2 and towards not having trouble communicating with
natives.

What I would do, were I at your place:
-choose something easier at first. Most crime series or sci-fi, for exemple, tend to
be easier to understand than most sitcoms or dramas. Take an easier show, get through
a few seasons and than go to another. Dive into it, don't switch too often between
various kinds of content at the beginning.
-After going through one show, dive into another and another, diversify the kinds of
input you are getting.
-perhaps start with american shows, before diving into the British ones. I think they
are easier for a western slavic native. Friends worked for quite a lot of learners,
from what I heard.

I agree that getting transcripts might really help but, on the other hand, they might
as well keep you where you are. You can already understand subtitles perfectly, it is
time to take the leap of faith., in my opinion.

About reading. What are you reading? Are you leaving your comfort zone often enough?
Are you reading books with contemporary English, as it is spoken, as well? Such books
can prepare you nicely for both tv and normal natives.

To improve your speaking:
-keep working on your grammar and vocabulary. While vocabulary can be acquired just
from input, you can as well use tools aimed at learners, if you prefer so. English is
a language with tons of options.
-Grammar is something many learners underestimate. These days, it is popular to say "I
cannot speak fluently because I've been learning too much grammar instead of just
speaking". That is simply wrong. Most people with this excuse actually haven't learnt
the grammar. They get stuck often, use incorrect constructions and so on. Again, there
are tons of resources to help you.
-As was said, self-talk is a great exercise. If you can get a tutor or a language
exchange, it could help too.

Think in the language
-Most people underestimate the fact that you need to think in the language in order to
speak it. Translating in your head won't do, getting stuck often is a problem and so
on.
-To get thinking in the language, find ways to use English. Situations that make
translations too slow and inefficient.
That leads to my main point:

I learnt English (to CAE level, with highest (C2) grade in writing) thanks to an
online game. A text based RPG. I wanted to play with Americans so I had to learn. Text
based environment, dialogues and roleplaying with others, exploring descriptions for
quests, that got me where I am now. (heh, I've forgotten a bit already, some mistakes
I am making these days are new). Neither a teacher who shouted at me four times a week
nor a textbook taught me. A game did (perhaps 90% game, 7% tv series and books, 3% a
grammar book). Perhaps you might want to incorporate something like that into your
routine as well. Get immersed, get thinking in English.
wotmud.org is my favourite game but there are many more of this kind.
7 persons have voted this message useful

pab
Diglot
Poland
Joined 3981 days ago

8 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French

Message 11 of 18
21 May 2015 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Firstly, thank you very much for taking your time and replying to me. Really appreciate it! Gave me a lot of food for thought and for the last few days I’ve been pondering over your advice to avoid being an impulsive replier 
luke wrote:
Modern Family is very sophisticated in its dialogue and language. There are a ton of subtle jokes. Keep
watching if you are enjoying it.

Sure it is but comparing to other shows I find it relatively easy. As I wrote earlier – I have no problem to translate it from the English subs, yet just listening, there are many dialogues which I simply can’t grasp and it’s not necessarily the ones with puns and subtexts.
Have big problems with the way Jay speaks due to an accent also struggle sometimes with Claire and Alex due to pace, I’d guess.

Speakeasy wrote:
If it’s any consolation to you, whereas English is my mother tongue (or at least Canadian English is my mother tongue), I do not understand 100% of what the actors say on American television today: the texts are scored for either dramatic or comedic effect, the speech is rapid, clipped and colloquial, and it is often filled with references that have no meaning for me. I am not a hipster and I never was. I’m in my late 60’s and, as I prefer to watch documentaries produced by the BBC, the PBS, and the CBC, I do not expose myself to rapidly evolving English language as it is apparently spoken on the street. As an aside, although I have spoken only French for the past 28 years, I do not understand 100% of television programmes produced in France, whereas I have absolutely no problem with similar programmes produced in Québec or, surprisingly, in Belgium.

Don’t be so hard on yourself!

Thank you, Speakeasy for this. I’m a bit afraid you overestimate me though, I often struggle not only with colloquial lingo full of inside jokes but also everyday fast-paced dialogues.
Example: I tried to tackle the show Inside No. 9 (recommend the first episode wholeheartedly). Can be watched on YT here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP6JM_8V37s or full screen in other places: https://goo.gl/Ey8LPu . I struggle big time to understand the lady whenever she speaks… 3:40 also is very hard.
It’s very discouraging though when you find yourself not able to fully enjoy the language you’ve been learning for many years and am been immersed in every single day – nolens volens as it surrounds me everywhere. How am I supposed to be proficient in French or any other language in the future one day if I can’t do the trick with modern lingua franca? :(

holly heels wrote:

It may be that you are going a little heavy on the reading. Some learners may reach a level where they can read Dante's Inferno in the original but they can't understand an Italian TV comic imitating a drunk. Only the learner can decide what is more useful.

I commend any learner who emphasizes TV watching. Comprehension of TV is definitely the neglected stepchild of mainstream language learning, and should be extensively discussed throughout this forum.

Have you tried daily self-talk about news events? For me it is a reasonably effective method of reaching C-level speaking ability, but a somewhat less effective method of acquiring consistent C-level comprehensive ability. I can blather away about the theory of evolution or native American basketry, but there are still days when passive skills go into sensory overload, especially watching Mandarin news from Taiwan. I can understand Mainland China news with very little effort.

Standard talkradio format in the target language is helpful for me. 18 months ago I didn't know how native speakers talked, and now practically every sentence I speak has at least one colloquialism, just from daily listening. And even in these 18 months the Mandarin language has evolved, with one colloquialism after another being thrown out and replaced by another.

After awhile a learner can gradually work in fast-paced TV news shows and then compare their comprehension level with news in their native language.

As for the 90% figure for comprehension, that's a high threshold to have consistently, even for natives. 90% or better is only necessary for brain surgery or assembling atomic weapons.

Exactly, I used to go too heavy on the reading. That’s one one day I realized I can ready quickly pretty much everything yet still get nervous when I need to have a chat with someone from an English speaking country and not come across as a lacking in wit bore :(
That’s why I shifted my focus onto podcasts, radio and TV. And while I understand 50-75%, it’s still not enough to feel comfortable.

patrickwilken wrote:
While I am sure you have done lots of immersion over the years, you probably just need to do lots more.

What worked for me was trying to watch at least one movie or tv show per day (say 30-40/month). In addition try to read +500 pages of an English novel a month. If after six months you don't see a really significant increase in your English comprehension I would be surprised.

How shall I watch those series? With English subs/sans/studying subs before/after?
Challenge accepted. Will update in a few months! :)

Serpent wrote:
Consider doing a MOOC (online course) at Coursera or similar. Doesn't have to be one intended for improving your English, simply on any topic you like.

Done a couple of Coursera courses. To be honest video lectures are quite easy to understand to me. They speak slowly and very clearly usually.
It’s a good shout though, thanks!

Elenia wrote:
Hi Pab,

You mentioned subtitles in your post, but how do you usually use them? Do you simply watch with subtitles, or do you study the subtitles before/after watching? Studying the transcripts of a show can make a great difference. I can't tell you what's best for you, but I personally like to watch things through a few times with and without subtitles, and whenever possible I study the transcripts. While I have never used it, I know a few forum members have used subs2srs with success. Here's a link to eyðimörk's Italian log, which in itself contains a link to emk's subs2srs log, which contains a link to another log...

Also, as Serpent appears not to have gotten here at the time of my writing this message, have you tried using lyricstraining? This is a pretty fun way of testing and improving comprehension using music. Learning and singing along with your favourite songs will also help you both in production and comprehension.

Finally, have you looked at getting a conversation partner or tutor? If not, perhaps try italki. You can find a language partner to do an exchange with, or a dedicated tutor who will help you improve your English (which may be the better option for you).

Good luck, I hope at least one of these suggestions help.

Well, regarding watching shows it depends on the show. I try to avoid watching with Polish subs so mostly it’s either no subs at all or English ones. Re-watching without subs and studying them before sounds very good. Will definitely incorporate this.
Read about sub2srs, even tried it for a while but I generally got discouraged by anki so I stopped. Will put some more challenging show into it and see how it works. Thanks for reminding!
I have a problem with italki. Did a few sessions and generally was told I was doing very well “you could be my neighbour” even though I feel I wasn’t that great. I’m not sure how to use italki properly to be honest. Shall I ask them to correct me every single time? I think my biggest problem is that I learned to by-pass or skirt around something I want to say but don’t know how. It results in expressing it what I wanted to say in a less sophisticated/advanced way than I intended to. I’m ready to use italki often but need to know how to make the most of these sessions.
AlexTG wrote:
It sucks to say but mostly I think you've got to just keep doing what you've been doing.

However one small thing that could help your comprehension of TV is studying accents. Some people have a great ear
for accents and seem to notice naturally the variations that natives are throwing at them. But some of us need a bit
of formal help, we need to be told exactly what crazy sound-changes natives make before we can spot when they're
doing it.

For English, the book "How to do Accents", by Edda Sharpe and Jan Haydn Rowles, is great. It's written for actors, so it presents concepts nice and simple. It describes the varied ways the sounds of English are pronounced by different native speakers.

I also suggest reading a book on English pronunciation for Polish speakers since that will focus on specific issues that would be likely to trip you up. (yes these books are intended to improve your accent, but in fact they're very useful for comprehension as well)

Very good point. Thing is I’m poor with accents. I don’t know why, maybe because I’m not musical at all and don’t like music very much my ears aren’t very sensitive? I mean I hear and recognize the accents, yet can’t mimic them very well though. Will definitely take a look at Sharpe’s book! Thank you!

Cavesa wrote:

What I would do, were I at your place:
-choose something easier at first. Most crime series or sci-fi, for exemple, tend to
be easier to understand than most sitcoms or dramas. Take an easier show, get through
a few seasons and than go to another. Dive into it, don't switch too often between
various kinds of content at the beginning.
-After going through one show, dive into another and another, diversify the kinds of
input you are getting.
-perhaps start with american shows, before diving into the British ones. I think they
are easier for a western slavic native. Friends worked for quite a lot of learners,
from what I heard.

I agree that getting transcripts might really help but, on the other hand, they might
as well keep you where you are. You can already understand subtitles perfectly, it is
time to take the leap of faith., in my opinion.

About reading. What are you reading? Are you leaving your comfort zone often enough?
Are you reading books with contemporary English, as it is spoken, as well? Such books
can prepare you nicely for both tv and normal natives.

To improve your speaking:
-keep working on your grammar and vocabulary. While vocabulary can be acquired just
from input, you can as well use tools aimed at learners, if you prefer so. English is
a language with tons of options.
-Grammar is something many learners underestimate. These days, it is popular to say "I
cannot speak fluently because I've been learning too much grammar instead of just
speaking". That is simply wrong. Most people with this excuse actually haven't learnt
the grammar. They get stuck often, use incorrect constructions and so on. Again, there
are tons of resources to help you.
-As was said, self-talk is a great exercise. If you can get a tutor or a language
exchange, it could help too.

Think in the language
-Most people underestimate the fact that you need to think in the language in order to
speak it. Translating in your head won't do, getting stuck often is a problem and so
on.
-To get thinking in the language, find ways to use English. Situations that make
translations too slow and inefficient.
That leads to my main point:

I learnt English (to CAE level, with highest (C2) grade in writing) thanks to an
online game. A text based RPG. I wanted to play with Americans so I had to learn. Text
based environment, dialogues and roleplaying with others, exploring descriptions for
quests, that got me where I am now. (heh, I've forgotten a bit already, some mistakes
I am making these days are new). Neither a teacher who shouted at me four times a week
nor a textbook taught me. A game did (perhaps 90% game, 7% tv series and books, 3% a
grammar book). Perhaps you might want to incorporate something like that into your
routine as well. Get immersed, get thinking in English.
wotmud.org is my favourite game but there are many more of this kind.

I read different stuff: contemporary noves, biographies, crimes.
What kind of resources would you advise to improve grammar? I need to confess I’m one of those (partly thanks to HTLAL though:)) who neglected grammar in the last few years.
It’s true that American English is much easier to understand to me. Will look for a crime show (not a van of sci-fi) and watch a few seasons sans subtitles.
Watching British comedies/dramas without subs is such a painful experience :( My favourite show ever “The thick of it” (10/10 really recommend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXHhLIOigjE ) is full of subtexts, accents, puns etc. Will give a try to some American series now and then try Brtish again.

Thank you for all the advice one more time! You are beautiful folks :)

Edited by pab on 21 May 2015 at 1:23am

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 12 of 18
21 May 2015 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Very good point. Thing is I’m poor with accents. I don’t know why, maybe
because I’m not musical at all and don’t like music very much my ears aren’t very
sensitive? I mean I hear and recognize the accents, yet can’t mimic them very well
though. Will definitely take a look at Sharpe’s book! Thank you!

Accent is not about musicality or perfect pitch; it is about knowing how sounds are
produced mechanically and being able to reproduce them in your mouth. It is about
learning how tonality works in sentences as well (when to stress, when not to stress,
when to raise or lower pitch). Because people don't have the same reference pitch
(just think of people with bass voices, alt voices etc), the tones that indicate
meaning are not absolute, but they are relative and dependent on contour, and thus you
can be entirely tone-deaf and able to replicate tones correctly. I don't have a
particularly musical ear either (though I have studied music to some extent) and I
definitely don't have perfect pitch, but I can recognise tones when I hear them
because it's about contour.

If you have troubles with accents and sounds, check how particular sounds are made for
speakers of a certain language and replicate speech therapy exercises in order to do
just that. For example, the typical "ch" sound of German is pronounced at the back of
your throat, exactly where you produce your "k" (or sometimes even further back; but
that's a matter of lowering your tongue a little). Try to produce a k while blowing
air through and you've got it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Improbably
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4721 days ago

34 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English

Message 13 of 18
21 May 2015 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
I recommend reading the Wikipedia bit on deliberate practice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Practice_%28learning_method%29# Deliberate_practice

Simply put, just doing something a lot is not enough to break the typical plateau. For that you need deliberate practice.

Suggestion for listening: When you come across something you don't understand in e.g. a movie, stop, go back, listen to it again and again, trying to write down what you hear (don't refer to subtitles). If you can't make out words, try to write phonetically exactly what you hear. Only after you've done this for a while (maybe half a dozen times, to suggest an arbitrary number), and feel no progress anymore, do you refer to the subtitles to see what you got wrong. Then you listen to it again a few times, and try to pick out the words as they were written in the subtitles. Try to be aware of differences between how it's written and how it's pronounced, like how syllables may be swallowed, words abbreviated. Don't be discouraged if you can't seem to make out the words even after this exercise. Just be satisfied that you put in the effort, and move on to the next difficult bit. Over time, this kind of intensive practice can do wonders for your listening comprehension. Also, it's a good idea to keep a log over how you do, so that you can go back later and listen again to see how you've improved.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 18
21 May 2015 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
Some MOOC's are more challenging than others. See if you can find a course from a British university and/or on a subject outside your comfort zone.

You can also look up various words on forvo.com, especially those you know only from reading.
1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4318 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 15 of 18
21 May 2015 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
pab wrote:

patrickwilken wrote:

What worked for me was trying to watch at least one movie or tv show per day (say 30-40/month). In addition try to read +500 pages of an English novel a month. If after six months you don't see a really significant increase in your English comprehension I would be surprised.

How shall I watch those series? With English subs/sans/studying subs before/after?
Challenge accepted. Will update in a few months! :)

I don't use subtitles (either L1 or L2) as I find them distracting. I find it more effective to just listen and understand as much as I can. I rely on reading to expand my vocabulary etc.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4229 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 16 of 18
21 May 2015 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
A lot of what you learn in a language programme is the "generic" version of a language. A language like
English has different variations including the UK, US and Australia each with their accent and local customs.

Once we have a guest from out of town who studied in Australia. He was invited to see the musical "Jersey
Boys". He had no trouble picking up the words & phrases but had trouble understanding the American jokes.

When watching TV drama series, you can understand certain shows easily but not others. A show from
England like "Coronation Street" or "Heartbeat" where you have dialogue in the Yorkshire accent, picking up
the conversation can be tricky. Some older shows from England like "Are You Being Served" and "Mind Your
Language" about an English teacher teaching immigrants are easy to understand. The humour in "Mind Your
Language" is especially easy to pick up because you have people from different places (India, Pakistan, Italy,
Spain, France, China, Japan, etc.) who try to speak English with all sorts of foreign accents.

I watch a lot of Chinese drama series from Singapore. I still have trouble picking up everything when watching
a show from Beijing. Besides knowing enough Chinese words & phrases, you need to know enough about the
local culture and how certain phrases are applied. In Singapore, the people tend to speak Mandarin 95% of
the time with English loan words in between including curry which is a common Indian food but not found in
Chinese cuisine. Singapore has a few laws that foreigners will find odd including no chewing gum, paying
extra if you don't finish your plate of food in a restaurant and caning (whipping) people who committed certain
crimes on top of their prison sentences. You know enough about the place where a language is spoken and
the local customs, you will be able to pick up the dialogue easily.

TV shows with performances such as "American Idol" or "America's Got Talent" tend to be easier to
understand because the performances takes up half the show. These tend to have a standard format such as
the contestants introducing themselves and what they are going to perform. And then a few words from the
judges and the final vote "Yes" or "No" follow by the viewers' responses. I have little trouble understanding a
similar show from China: 中国达人秀 (China Got Talent) or 星光大道 which is a singing contest.

You can easily find TV documentaries online. I find these easier to understand than drama series. Depending
on the topic of discussion, if you know the topic well enough, picking up new words & phrases is much easier
since it is the matter of translating terms you don't know to something you know in your native language.
Recently I was watching a Chinese documentary on human migration in prehistoric times. It is a well-known
fact people moved out of Africa over 10,000 years ago to other parts of the world. This include people from
Madagascar moving across the Indian ocean to islands in the Pacific including Australia. The Chinese
translations of "Madagascar" and "Neanderthal" man don't sound foreign because I studied history in school
and know the subject very well.

Edited by shk00design on 25 May 2015 at 2:21am

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version