Tags: Travel | Esperanto
 Language Learning Forum : Esperanto Post Reply
guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3852 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 7
17 May 2015 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
Is there anybody who knows of a conference or an activity to learn/practice Esperanto,
during the holiday, and which would not be too expensive? I wanted to go to an event in
Slovakia, and the annual conference in Lille, but when looking at the price, I find it a
bit too expensive, when I think that the idea of the Esperanto community is learning the
language 'for free', being an international languagee to exchange easily and cheaply, and
to help people find the opportinities to learn the language. For both events together, I
should pay 600 euros (The Slovakian event even asks 3 euros a night if one wants to sleep
in a tent....do you call that cheap??).

So is there an event or something for others from all around the world to learn Esperanto
when we are students and during the holiday (July preferably)?
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 2 of 7
17 May 2015 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Have you looked at http://pasportaservo.org/? Basically it is a hospitality service for Esperantists. The service publishes a directory of people from countries on every continent who are willing to host other Esperanto speakers in their homes free. Within the Esperanto culture, the annual directory is considered an important publication, second only to the Plena Ilustrita Vortaro (Unabridged Illustrated Dictionary). As of 2010, there are 1450 hosts in 91 countries.

Hosts specify how many days and how many guests can stay along with a short comment with other restrictions or interests (no smokers, bring a tent, young people especially welcome, etc.). The hosts enjoy having people from various countries stay at their homes while the guests enjoy free housing in the locations listed (although hosts may ask for reimbursement of incurred expenses). Also, guests may feel more at ease because many hosts are willing to assist with transportation and local information etc., and some also provide meals, although the only actual commitment required of all hosts is to offer overnight accommodation.

So this might be what you are interested in.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4343 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 3 of 7
17 May 2015 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
SES in Slovakia is probably the best event for learning Esperanto, as there are
structured courses at different levels. There are some other events for young people
around Europe this summer (eg. Internacia Junulara
Kongreso
in Wiesbaden in Germany and Internacia Junulara
Semajno
in Hungary) but they are likely to be a similar price to SES and will
probably be more useful for practising Esperanto than for learning it.

The cheapest event I am aware of is
Roskilde where a team of
Esperantists volunteer to work at the music festival each year. In return for working
a certain number of hours they have free entry to the festival and camping/food. So
it's not an Esperanto event as such, but an external event which a group of
Esperantists participate in.

If you don't fancy any of those then I think rdearman is right and Pasporta Servo is
the best option :)

Edited by Radioclare on 17 May 2015 at 11:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 7
18 May 2015 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
Get in touch with the local association. When I tried to practice Esperanto at a language festival in Moscow, they told me there would be a trip to some event, free but only allowing those who can speak 100% Esperanto for the whole trip.

You could also find enough Esperantists from a specific area and basically arrange the practice for yourself. Get in touch with multiple people through pasporta servo and the country's association - do this in advance, especially as you're coming during holiday season. Since you speak French natively you can also offer language exchange. I would recommend Poland for this kind of thing, due to the lower prices (for your stay/food) and the special attitude to Esperanto.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 7
08 November 2015 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
This is a bit of a late reply, but check out http://eventoj.hu/2015.htm, for a list of Esperanto events - it includes some 2016 ones as well. Festo comes to mind as a fairly cheap one in France - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FESTO_%28Esperanto_meeting%29 for a bit of background on it. Most events I've gone to are cheaper than the ones you're mentioning.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5607 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 7
13 March 2016 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
There is lots of Esperanto spoken at the Polyglot Gathering in Berlin, at least 50
Esperanto speakers take place in this event on average.

Fasulye

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5607 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 7
09 August 2020 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
And there were even more Esperanto speakers at the 3 Polyglot Gatherings in Bratislava
(Slovakia).

Fasulye

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version