Bilingual Triglot
YugoslaviaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3891 days ago

4 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Serbo-Croatian*, Serbian*, English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 13
18 May 2015 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
I finished shadowing German without toil and I am planning to shadow German with ease and
German (from 201x, by Roemer). Question for folks who done similar: did you shadowed
second (and maybe third Assimil, or Linguaphone) as thoroughly as first(~10 times blind,
L1 only/L1-L2/L2-L1/L2 only, three times each) or you speeded up process, something like
6 times blind and L1 only/L1-L2/L2-L1/L2 only, two times each, other phases (reading
aloud, analysis, writing and typing) remains the same? I am asking mostly because there
are days when shadowing is so hard, some lessons are half-of-a-lesson-with-one-breath and
sometimes it took me more then one hour to do all phases, so making it a bit
easier/shorter would make it more manageable, but will it hurt (much) learning process?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 13
18 May 2015 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Rale wrote:
I finished shadowing German without toil and I am planning to shadow German with ease and German (from 201x, by Roemer). Question for folks who done similar: did you shadowed second (and maybe third Assimil, or Linguaphone) as thoroughly as first(~10 times blind, L1 only/L1-L2/L2-L1/L2 only, three times each) or you speeded up process, something like 6 times blind and L1 only/L1-L2/L2-L1/L2 only, two times each, other phases (reading aloud, analysis, writing and typing) remains the same? I am asking mostly because there are days when shadowing is so hard, some lessons are half-of-a-lesson-with-one-breath and sometimes it took me more then one hour to do all phases, so making it a bit easier/shorter would make it more manageable, but will it hurt (much) learning process?

Actually, I would say what hurts the learning process is overloading yourself or doing materials which aren't the right level of difficulty (too easy or too hard). Don't worry about skipping lessons you don't like or doing them in the wrong order. If you want to tackle a tough lesson, give it enough time and don't rush it. My throat would hurt after an hour of intensive shadowing. If you know your limits, try not to cross them.

The schedule in the wikia is just an example. Depending on your strong points you don't have to do all the phases. Don't worry about knowing literally everything in Assimil; sounds like it's time for a multitrack approach.

Edited by Serpent on 20 May 2015 at 3:48pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 3 of 13
18 May 2015 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Professor Arguelles Shadowing Video is the Gold
Standard. At 38:00 into the video he really breaks down his approach.

These are my notes. The numbers in parenthsis are the lesson number. E.G., this 30 minute session covers
lessons 25-38. Apparently, he's a fast writer.

Prof Arguelles - wave 1 - one new lesson per day (30 minute session)
Blind Shadow - pronunciation - when boring, move on (38)
Listen/Read/Shadow FR/EN - understanding (35-37)
Listen/Read/Shadow beginning to focus on target language (32-34)
Listen/Read/Shadow FR/FR - reading (28-31)
Above steps all use audio/shadowing (15-20 minutes of shadowing)
Analyze/compare text and read notes (27)
Read aloud without audio (26)
Handwritten (scriptoreum) - writing (25)

He describes his wave 2 also. My notes are:

Second stage
Type out carefully - make corrections
Print double spaced
Make inter-linear text of unknown words
Read interlinear text silently
Print fresh copy and make interlinear notes
When you can do that without notes, you're good
Background listening is profitable at this stage (while cleaning house, shopping, etc)

At this stage you have a firm foundation for a visit/travel.

Going still further. After the first book.

Add more books, Assimil 2, Cortina, Assimil Linguaphone
Add grammatical exercises.
Think in language.
Play back advanced lessons in your head
Shadowing march - for an hour (mostly in unison with audio)
6 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 13
19 May 2015 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
I usually go back to Assimil once in a while for review. Sometimes I try a new approach, and the last times I shadowed Assimil (two courses last year) I actually did it the Arguelles way, meaning that I added a new lesson of blind-shadowing as I increase the reading level of an older one. But for how long each day? Anything from say, 15 minutes up to maybe 45 minutes, even one hour (especially during reviews of many lessons). This was my intensive (and somewhat crazy) approach along the lines of Assimil Hebrew in two weeks.

If you follow Assimil more strictly and only do one lesson per day, you might get bored shadowing each lesson 10+ times.

See also:

Shadowing for dummies

(Scroll down the bottom of page 2, where I illustrate an example based on (pre-)blind-shadowing for ten lessons (as suggested by Arguelles somewhere, maybe it was in his longish video mentioned above.)

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 19 May 2015 at 12:38am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Rale
Bilingual Triglot
YugoslaviaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3891 days ago

4 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Serbo-Croatian*, Serbian*, English
Studies: German

Message 5 of 13
19 May 2015 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
snip
My throat would hurt after an hour of intensive shadowing. If you know your limits, try
not to cross them.

The schedule in the wikia is just an example. Depending on your strong points you don't
have to do all the phases. Don't worry about knowing literally everything in Assimil;
sounds like it's time for a language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37899&PN=1&TPN=1">mul titrack approach.

It is not hard for throat when you space it out in three sessions during a day, except
when you catch cold. I guess by multitrack you refer to something like using
Linguaphone, Cortina, Hugo, Passport books, TYS, Colloquial, FSI, DLI etc, podcasts,
books and audio books?

@Luke: who is professor Arguelles? I never heard of him. Is his alias here ProfASAr?

@jeff_lindqvist: shadowing Hungarian with ease 10 times was not boring at all, I even
had feeling like "only 10 times". Minor problem: it takes so much time.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 13
20 May 2015 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
Professor Arguelles is the one who popularized the method (especially with Assimil in mind) on this forum many years ago - his alias here is ProfArguelles (but he isn't active anymore).

From his own website:
Shadowing & Scriptorium

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 7 of 13
20 May 2015 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
Rale wrote:
@Luke: who is professor Arguelles? I never heard of him. Is his alias here ProfASAr?

Professor Arguelles is the man. He is ProfASAr on youtube. His videos are also available through his website, which jeff lindqvist linked to. He's had a lot of influence on my life and interest in language learning. He's primarily self-taught, and suggests that's the best method, which rings true to me. He's an academic, obsessive, and visionary.

Edited by luke on 20 May 2015 at 3:22am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 13
20 May 2015 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
Rale wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Don't worry about knowing literally everything in Assimil; sounds like it's time for a multitrack approach.
It is not hard for throat when you space it out in three sessions during a day, except when you catch cold.
I guess by multitrack you refer to something like using
Linguaphone, Cortina, Hugo, Passport books, TYS, Colloquial, FSI, DLI etc, podcasts,
books and audio books?

Follow the link :) By multitrack I definitely mean books, podcasts, audiobooks, also social networks, and one or two coursebooks. With one Assimil course under your belt, you definitely know enough to start using native materials more!

Edited by Serpent on 20 May 2015 at 3:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version