soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3709 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 1 of 3
19 May 2015 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
I'm a college student and don't have much time for my languages during the semesters so I'll be dedicating a lot of time over the summer break to learning and improving. I'll be learning/continuing with German (intermediate) and French (beginner). I have a main log (Mein Deutsch) but I'll be using this one to track my summer goals. All goals are to be completed by August 30.

GERMAN
New Assimil - I've completed an older version of Assimil but have been working my way through the new one that came out toward the end of last year to get some new exposure to some of the grammatical aspects that did not stick from last time. My goal is to have this completed, including the active wave.

Hugo Advanced - After I finish the passive wave of the New Assimil (probably sometime by the end of June) I will work on this with the hope of having it thoroughly completed by the end of the summer.

Reading - I plan on reading about 2 hours a week, which I will only count from actual reading material (readers and such, not Assimil or excerpts from textbooks). The main goal here is to become more familiar with the imperfekt tense (which is used a lot in readers/books) since I am pretty weak with it; and of course to learn new vocab and strengthen other aspects. I have about 15 weeks, so the goal is 30 hours.

Movies/Shows - 30 views total. I've already watched most of what Netflix has to offer as far as German movies, so this will mostly be stuff from ZDF or finishing all my Breaking Bad (in German) episodes.

Italki (Skype) Lessons - No concrete goal here other than to continue and get the most out of my skype lessons.

I'll also be cleaning up my weak grammar points as I come across them.

FRENCH
Assimil - Through lesson 80. I've already completed 8 lessons. Hopefully I'll be able to do more but my goal is at least this.

Hugo - Complete the entire program.

Movies - 10 movies. I want to wait a bit before I start so I can get more out of it. I imagine Netflix has a plethora of French movies.

Pimsleur - I'll see what I want to do with this. I'm already midway through level II but decided to take a break until I am more familiar with the written aspect of French (being able to see the words in my head helps me memorize the phrases).

Hopefully I'm not being overambitious with this (I probably am), as I am also working and also plan on studying other non-language related topics as well. I'll be excited just to obtain any kind of command over French, as well as taking my German to the next level.

Well, on to what I've already done today:

============================================================ ======================
GERMAN
    New Assimil - Passive: 63, Active: 26
    Hugo Advanced - Not yet
    Reading - 0/30hrs
    Movies/Shows - 0/30views

Recap: It's been about a month since I've even touched German at all (a few months since I've spent serious time with it) and I haven't lost anything. If anything, my brain has assimilated it a bit during the downtime and some aspects maybe feel more natural now. My skype lesson is tomorrow at 10pm.

FRENCH
    Assimil - Passive: 8
    Hugo - Will start tomorrow
    Movies - Not yet

Recap/comments: I did a lot of Pimsleur while commuting during the semester but didn't touch Assimil at all (I did the first 7 lessons over winter break). Coming back to it, I've found that Pimsleur has helped me a lot, but I just got to a point where I need to be more familiar with the written aspect, as picturing the written word helps me to remember/recall certain words and phrases in French (which is tough due to the vast number of homophones).

Edited by soclydeza85 on 19 May 2015 at 5:14am

1 person has voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3709 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 2 of 3
25 May 2015 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
GERMAN

New Assimil - Passive: 66, Active: 29
    Hugo Advanced - Not yet
    Reading - 0/30hrs
    Movies/Shows - 0/30views

Recap: Everything has been going well, still moving through the same routine. I will also have chapter 20 of Passwort Deutsch finished soon (I use it with my tutor).
============================================================ ==========
FRENCH

Assimil - Passive: 10
    Hugo - Finished (reviewed) Week 1 today
    Movies - 1/10views

Recap/comments: Assimil seems to have gotten pretty tough already. Maybe it's because I'm essentially on my second round of German Assimil, in which the lessons are quite simple and I expect the French to be as well.

I also just got done watching Intimate Enemies (L'ennemi Intime), which was my first time watching a French film (for language learning purposes). It was a really good movie, plus I was able to pick up on a couple of things; nothing at all spectacular, but a phrase/word here and there.

After this log I will skim through Week 2 of Hugo and put all vocab into Quizlet so I can go over it beforehand.
= ============================================================ ==========
Summer Challenge: I thought hosting a simple challenge for the summer would be nice and am still thinking of what exactly to do. I'm thinking of making it just a basic input challenge (movies/shows, reading).

Edited by soclydeza85 on 25 May 2015 at 4:19am

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3709 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 3 of 3
27 May 2015 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
GERMAN

New Assimil - Passive: 67, Active: 30
    Hugo Advanced - Not yet
    Reading - 0/30hrs
    Movies/Shows - 0/30views

I just did my weekly iTalki lesson, things went well. I feel a lot more solid with my German these days - definitely not fluent or where I want to be, but I can definitely see progress as I am speaking more automatically.
============================================================ ====
FRENCH

Assimil - Passive: 10
    Hugo - Working on week 2
    Movies - 1/10views

Things are going well. French phonetics don't seem so mysterious to me anymore. I definitely still need some work before I can confidently read something out loud or write just from hearing, but I'm starting to notice the patterns.

I paused on progressing in Assimil for a day or two while I review lessons 1-10. I seem the be having a hard time with French Assimil, but, as I said before, I think it's because I expect it to be easy because I'm used to flying through the new German Assimil.

I've been reviewing the Week 2 vocab for Hugo and have gotten through about 1/3 of the whole chapter so far. I'll probably be onto Week 3 by Friday.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version