patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4351 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 9 of 30
20 May 2015 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
Cool to see you back. I am looking forward to following your progress.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5374 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 10 of 30
20 May 2015 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Welcome back Bakunin, and best of luck with Khmer this year! Both your choice of language and approach to learning are very interesting, and I look forward to following your blog.

Edited by Teango on 20 May 2015 at 11:05pm

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4948 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 11 of 30
21 May 2015 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
@patrickwilken and @Teango: thanks :) it’s nice to be back!

I think I’m someone who can be charmed by any language, so maybe it doesn’t really mean much, but I have to say that I’ve been really enjoying Khmer so far - I love those consonant clusters at the beginning of words, I love the vowels, di- and triphthongs. I also love the fact that Khmer and Thai heavily borrow from Sanskrit and Pali (ongoing; Thai often via Khmer in the past), so I’ll get heaps of words for free, especially the more abstract ones - yay, SE Asian sprachbund! The odd French cognate is also cool. All in all, I’m really excited about Khmer, it looks like a language I may become quite passionate about.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4727 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 12 of 30
22 May 2015 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
This looks really interesting, and I look forward to following your log. I see you're already over 20% into your task... how much time do you spend on this each day?

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4948 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 

Message 13 of 30
23 May 2015 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
This looks really interesting, and I look forward to following your log. I see you're already over 20% into your task... how much time do you spend on this each day?

The 1k hours refer only to the silent phase, overall I'm working under the general assumption that I need about 10k hours for proficiency and about 3k-4k before I feel I speak the language well. In that respect, I'm about 2% into the task.

Time spent on listening varies, but I've averaged 2.7 hours over the past 80 days.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4984 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 14 of 30
24 May 2015 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Nice to see a new log on a new language! Khmer is definitely on my hitlist, and now you say it is part of a Sprachbund that makes it even more interesting. How is the situation with Khmer support on computers (and now mobile)? When I first read about the language it wasn't even part of Unicode. Is this one more reason you're going to focus on the oral language for the time being?

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4948 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 

Message 15 of 30
24 May 2015 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Nice to see a new log on a new language! Khmer is definitely on my hitlist, and now you say it is part of a Sprachbund that makes it even more interesting. How is the situation with Khmer support on computers (and now mobile)? When I first read about the language it wasn't even part of Unicode. Is this one more reason you're going to focus on the oral language for the time being?

Khmer seems to be better supported these days; I can select a Khmer keyboard on my laptop, and last time I checked there were downloadable keyboards for my phone.

My focus on spoken language is more like a philosophical position I've adopted over time. The more I learn and reflect about language, the more apparent it is to me that language is primarily spoken. My language learning experience has taught me to focus on listening comprehension, and then on speaking as a distant second. Furthermore, the majority of languages (in numbers of languages, not in numbers of speakers) on this planet don't have an established writing system (a good example is Swiss-German), and I'm very interested in exploring learning strategies which work for any language, not just written ones.

I'm obviously not against reading and writing, not at all. I'm an avid reader, and I appreciate that we can have this conversation only through writing. Let me also be clear that Khmer, unlike Swiss-German, is a written language with a very long tradition (for instance, the Thai script derives from an older version of the Khmer script). But written language is fundamentally different from spoken interaction, and it's this spoken interaction which drives me to learn languages and what I enjoy the most.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4948 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 

Message 16 of 30
28 May 2015 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
This log will be a bit of a challenge. There’s not much to report, even though I’m going full speed. I’m about a quarter into the 1000 hour silent phase and just listen to picture recordings day in day out. It’s great fun, and I’m addicted to new material, but there’s little I can measure or report. But I will try from time to time.

Currently, I’m in Siem Reap. It’s my first time in Cambodia and I’m taking it really easy. I haven’t even been to Angkor Wat yet, even though I’ve been here for almost a week already. I’ll probably go tomorrow in the early morning hours by bike, but let’s see. I’m in no rush because I know I’ll be back many times. Furthermore it’s terribly hot. The rainy season is about to start but I haven’t really seen much of it so far, and the heat is still sweltering.

Apart from chilling out, I’ve been looking for more tutors to work with and have made arrangements with 2. In total, I’ve got 4 now. If everybody sends about 20 minutes per day, I will have enough fresh audio to really move my Khmer forward.

One indication that I’m making good progress is that I was able to give my two new tutors immediate and precise feedback what they haven’t talked about in their test picture descriptions - even though I’ve chosen completely new stories for both of them. Everybody seems to start out with too little detail, but two or three rounds of feedback and suggestions usually fix that.

The two new stories I’ve started are ‘Rainstorm’ and ‘Chicken and Cat’. Rainstorm by Barbara Lehman is about a boy who lives in a beautiful big house. It’s raining outside and he has nobody to play with. But then he finds a key and a secret tunnel… Chicken and Cat by Sara Varon is about two animal friends, Chicken and Cat. Cat comes to visit Chicken in town and isn’t too happy with city life. But then they have an idea...

If you want to see pictures of the stories, head over to my blog.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version