Tetraglot
TunisiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3453 days ago

30 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: German, Arabic (classical)*, French, English

Message 9 of 15
18 June 2016 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
By "Maghreb", do you guys mean Morocco? Because everytime I saw that word in my Arabic learning sources the country Morocco tended to show up. And from its triletteral base, I would interpret "Journey to the West" as "Journey to Morocco", then.

The word Maghreb means "West" in Arabic, and it's the arabic translation designation for Marocco, yes.
But when we talk about the region of Maghreb (the west of the arabic world), we talk essencially about these 5 countries:
Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Libya
1 person has voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4895 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 10 of 15
19 June 2016 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
So, can we refer to them as Middle West?

Saim
Pentaglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4843 days ago

124 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Serbo-Croatian, English*, Catalan, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Occitan, Punjabi, Urdu, Arabic (Maghribi), French, Modern Hebrew, Ukrainian, Slovenian

Message 11 of 15
19 June 2016 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
hp230 wrote:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
By "Maghreb", do you guys mean Morocco? Because
everytime I saw that word in my Arabic learning sources the country Morocco tended to
show up. And from its triletteral base, I would interpret "Journey to the West" as
"Journey to Morocco", then.

The word Maghreb means "West" in Arabic, and it's the arabic translation designation
for Marocco, yes.
But when we talk about the region of Maghreb (the west of the arabic world), we talk
essencially about these 5 countries:
Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Libya

The term Maghreb in European languages comes from the Arabic expression "al-Maghrib
al-3Arbi" (المغرب العربي‎‎), which means "the Arab West" and refers to all five of these
countries. In Arabic Morocco is "al-Maghrib" and the Maghreb is "al-Maghrib al-3Arbi".
3 persons have voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4895 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 12 of 15
19 June 2016 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Before I knew any Arabic learning site, I thought that "gharaba" means "set" since "maghrib" means "the time of sunset".

hp230
Tetraglot
Joined 3453 days ago

30 posts - 63 votes 

Message 13 of 15
20 June 2016 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Saim wrote:

The term Maghreb in European languages comes from the Arabic expression "al-Maghrib
al-3Arbi" (المغرب العربي‎‎), which means "the Arab West" and refers to all five of these
countries. In Arabic Morocco is "al-Maghrib" and the Maghreb is "al-Maghrib al-3Arbi".

Well, I coudn't explain it better! (maybe I'm so used to our speaking habits, here we sometimes only say al-Maghreb, referring to al-Maghreb-al-3Arabi).
(That 3 before Arabi, really ? I'm so impressed. You seem to know very much about our typing habits)
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Before I knew any Arabic learning site, I thought that "gharaba" means "set" since "maghrib" means "the time of sunset".

"gharaba" (غرابة) in this spelling means "strangness", or "bizarreness" and maybe other meanings (even far from those two), but I don't think it means "set".
However, yes: al-Maghrib can refer to sunset when we talk about that period of the day, and also it's the noun of the prayer performed by muslims at that time of the day (the prayer of maghreb)

Edited by hp230 on 20 June 2016 at 12:48am

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4895 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 14 of 15
20 June 2016 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
hp230 wrote:

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:

"gharaba" (غرابة) in this spelling means "strangness", or "bizarreness" and maybe other meanings (even far from those two), but I don't think it means "set".
However, yes: al-Maghrib can refer to sunset when we talk about that period of the day, and also it's the noun of the prayer performed by muslims at that time of the day (the prayer of maghreb)

No, I didn't refer to غرابة, but غرب.

hp230
Tetraglot
Joined 3453 days ago

30 posts - 63 votes 

Message 15 of 15
21 June 2016 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:

No, I didn't refer to غرابة, but غرب.

"غرب" means "west". For the sunset we usually use the word "غروب"(Ghouroub).

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version