United States
Joined 4542 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 34
10 June 2015 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
I'll wrap up with the languages that I'm really learning just for the purpose of this
trip. I know I'll still be working on Japanese, German and Portuguese after I get back,
and I may continue with Spanish and French to some degree, but the other two are really
unlikely. Still, I'm hoping I can squeeze enough out of them that if I am in a
monolingual situation, I can acquit myself with a minimal level of embarrassment.

For Slovene, I found a cheap copy of Teach Yourself Slovene, a phrasebook for
"Eastern European Languages," and the free resource Online Slowenisch Lernen from Uni-
Hamburg. I don't know to what degree I'll use which, but surely I don't need to
convince all of you that when you see such things at a used bookstore, they're coming
home with you, no questions asked. Interestingly, the TY Slovene describes the dual in
one of the first lessons, says that it is used all the time by native speakers and then
proceeds to ignore it completely! This is a truly curious choice for what is
otherwise designed as a full course.

I actually studied Italian for a year at college, including a not particularly
inspiring six week summer course in Siena. I was fully prepared to ditch my compatriots
and insinuate myself into the local student population, but of course the students had
all headed to the beach for the entire summer! I ended up shifting my focus to German,
and I never felt particularly drawn to Italian again. Still, I have a couple friends in
Milan and it's convenient for this trip, so I will be spending some time there. My only
resource right now is a phrasebook and some rusty memories.

I'll be following a phrasebook-centric approach for both, something that I don't
have a lot of experience with. I learned about the same level of Norwegian before a
trip there, and the one time that I had a Norwegian conversation it went fairly well
(that doesn't mean I wouldn't learn more seriously if I had the chance again!). I do
think that learning some basics is worthwhile, even if I eventually rely on switching
to English or other languages. I may also add some online classes in Slovene if I have
time, out of general interest and to customize the material that I'm learning.

Also, having taken another look at my schedule over the next two months, I don't think
there's any sense working on Esperanto. Although if I change my mind, it looks like
there's a fellow trying to start an Esperanto group in L.A., so I would have all the
resources I need!

I plan on starting Slovene in a few weeks, and Italian only towards the end of July,
but I'll post if that plan changes.
1 person has voted this message useful

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4542 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 34
12 June 2015 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
A bit of a detour here- I just came across the following quote from A Gentleman's
Guide to Etiquette
by Cecil B. Hartley, published in 1875. How little has changed.

Quote:
If you are going to travel in other countries, in Europe, especially, I would
advise you to study the languages, before you attempt to go abroad. French is the
tongue you will find most useful in Europe, as it is spoken in the courts, and amongst
diplomatists; but, in order fully to enjoy a visit to any country, you must speak the
language of that country. You can then visit in the private houses, see life among the
peasantry, go with confidence from village to town, from city to city, learning more of
the country in one day from familiar intercourse with the natives, than you would learn
in a year from guide books or the explanations of your courier.

The way to really enjoy a journey through a strange land, is not to roll over the
highways in your carriage, stop at the hotels, and be led to the points of interest by
your guide, but to shoulder your knapsack, or take up your valise, and make a
pedestrian tour through the hamlets and villages. Take a room at a hotel in the
principal cities if you will, and see all that your guide book commands you to seek,
and then start on your own tour of investigation, and believe me you will enjoy your
independent walks and chats with the villagers and peasants, infinitely more than your
visits dictated by others. Of course, to enjoy this mode of traveling, you must have
some knowledge of the language, and if you start with only a very slight acquaintance
with it, you will be surprised to find how rapidly you will acquire the power to
converse, when you are thus forced to speak in that language, or be entirely silent.

I've traveled in various countries with all different levels of understanding of the
local language, and clearly it's not always possible to develop my ability as much as
I'd like. But I can sincerely say that I've never regretted the time I put into
studying that language- whether that meant familiarizing myself with the alphabet on
the flight over there or spending years refining my abilities. Despite some antiquated
notions, I think Mr. Hartley has very neatly summarized the value of language learning
for travel.
2 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4327 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 19 of 34
12 June 2015 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
Quoting Chung on the matter of TY Slovene:

Chung wrote:
It is, unfortunately. Until Pirnat-Greenberg's edition appeared, people
like me had to suffer with Albretti. Since TY Slovene was cheaper than Colloquial
Slovene, I got the former knowing full well through the Amazon reviews that Albretti's
editions were crap.

I still haven't started with any formal learning in Slovene, only listening practice, so
I'm curious how this will turn out for you. How much time are you planning to spend on
it?

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4542 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 34
12 June 2015 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
I think realistically I'll only be able to spend about 20 hours of focused studying,
along with another 10-20 of on the go studying- reviewing audio, maybe doing some anki.
I'd like to push the total up to about 60 but that seems wildly optimistic at this point.

Yes, the reviews of Albretti's work are less than inspiring. The main advantage for me
now is that, apart from the phrasebook, it's my only paper resource, and I find those
much more relaxing than staring at a computer all day long.

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4542 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 34
17 June 2015 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
I thought it would be good to go into a little more depth on my philosophy of
treading water, something that has been very useful for me in the past, and will
likely become even more important in the future. The nature of language learning is
that progress requires an ongoing investment of time, and neglecting a language for a
significant amount of time will result in a serious backslide.

So let's say you're faced with a period in your life where you have to reduce your
study hours from, say, 20 to 3 per week. Your options are to give up on one or more
languages, hopefully to revive them later, or to find a way to maintain your languages
with a minimum of time invested. Alternatively, when you have twenty hours per week,
you could assume that you'll eventually have to cut back, and therefore keep your goals
modest to begin with.

But assuming you're already in this precarious situation, is it better to cut out some
/ all study, or keep it to a minimum? And what level exactly is required to maintain
languages? I don't intend to make any blanket statements, but I have some experience
with both strategies and I think I'm well informed to decide what to do in the future.

My main experience with hibernation / revival is in German and Spanish. I
learned German to a B1/B2 level in college and let it waste away for around six years
afterwards. When I decided to revive it, I found active study methods to be extremely
frustrating, but L/R really did the trick. At that point in time, I could barely piece
my way through a newspaper article even using a dictionary, and I had no chance of
understanding native speed speech. After L/R'ing through Stieg Larsson's Millenium
Trilogy my comprehension was much better, and I noticed my spoken German improving
after about 10 or so hours of conversation.

On the other hand, my Spanish was maybe at A2 after four years of high school classes,
and I attempted to revive it about three years ago- a project I later gave up on due to
time constraints and a lack of motivation. I found that L/R'ing literary fiction
(something by Allende, I think) was too difficult, but when I studied traditional
textbooks for "intermediate" (most likely A1-A2) learners, I had a decent passive
recall of grammar and some vocabulary.

Since then, I've had several periods of a few weeks to a few months where I had no time
for one or all of my languages (Japanese being the exception, in that I work in that
language). With German and Portuguese, I found I could maintain my level, and even
progress in some limited areas, just by having a 45 min. - 1 hr. conversation per week,
combined with incidental reading. By incidental reading, I mean looking at twitter and
maybe skimming a few silly huffington post articles, only looking up a word or two, if
at all.

I did notice that my reading speed would drop a bit in these periods of treading water,
but on average, my conversational abilities weren't hurt. My main problem was that a
good conversation always made me want to study that language more! I also don't know
whether I could decrease the frequency of conversation without starting to see
regression, but practically speaking, it's easier to maintain a weekly conversation
partner anyway.

So which is better? Well, first off, I don't know how I would attempt to get this kind
of incidental reading and periodic speaking without at least a B1 level. I don't
think I could maintain my interest just reviewing old Assimil lessons or whatever.
Apart from that, if I think it would be several years before I have the time and
interest to pick up a language again, I wouldn't feel too guilty letting it hibernate.
But for a language that I still enjoy, especially if I can find a regular conversation
partner, it's good to know that I can maintain it with that conversation and a few
minutes here and there throughout the day.

Once I get back from my trip, I'll be starting Japanese, German and Portuguese on that
plan- the big question is whether I'll be close enough to B1 in French and Spanish to
take advantage of this strategy. Italian and Slovene will almost certainly be
hibernating- if I even consider dropping a language at A0/1 to be hibernating.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6403 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 22 of 34
17 June 2015 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Soooo familiar about not wanting to use Assimil for keeping the language alive! I've started a wikia article which is mostly about grammar, but many ideas apply to vocabulary too.

Honestly my experience with Portuguese/Spanish/Italian/Catalan is that you don't have to be a real B1, the comprehension skills are more than enough. Related languages keep one another alive too. For a non-linguist, maybe Italian and especially French would be more difficult to improve through casual learning.

See also bow wave theory, btw.

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4542 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 34
18 June 2015 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
It's interesting, Assimil for me is something that I really love, but I have to keep
moving forward with it- a break of more than a day or two will kill my motivation. I'll
probably be around lesson 95 by the time I leave and I don't plan on bringing the book
with me, so even if I want to continue, I'll probably just switch to mostly native
materials after I get back. We'll see though.

Yes, Spanish is really just riding the coattails of my Portuguese now anyway, I suppose
that probably won't change one way or the other.

I'm not a tremendous believer in the bow wave theory- I suspect anyone who sees a
benefit after taking serious time off probably just wasn't perceiving the results they
were getting while studying, or they were too stressed out about studying for it to be
effective.

A few short updates:

[DE] Ich habe endlich Alle Tage, von Terezia Mora zu Ende gelesen. Am Anfang
haben ihre Schilderungen der Figuren mir gut gefallen, aber inzwischen ist die
Hauptfigur so leidenschaftslos, dass ich die Lust, weiterzulesen, nach und nach
verloren habe. Als nächstes nehme ich etwas lustiger- vielleicht den dritten Winnetou-
Band.

[FR] J'ai commencé la deuxième vague, et j'ai arrangé un cours en italki. Ça
sera ma prèmiere foix a parler le Français. Je n'ai encore apprendu l'imparfait, le
subjonctif, et beacoup d'autre choses.

[PT] Poucas novidades. Fiz contato com alguns Portuguêses em italki para conversar e,
se der certo, fazer amizagens. Troquei algumas mensagens, mas ainda não chegou ao nível
de falar em Skype. Escrevi alguns textinhos (em português brasileiro, não pretendo
aprender escrever nem falar o português europeu)- o último aqui:
http://www.italki.com/entry/570519

I also started editing the audio from the TY Slovene course- cutting out the English
prompts so that I can review it more efficiently. I went through the first lesson a
month or so ago to get a taste, I think I'll pick it up again and start more seriously
tonight.

I've been a bit sick recently, I think I'm starting to feel better now. I finally got
back to waking up at six today, which gives me some quality time for studying.

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4542 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 34
18 June 2015 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
And just for fun, the utterly insane cover of the "Eastern Europe Phrasebook" that I
picked up for $3 (with Hungarian cut out):

Is Eastern Europe full of vampires?

Edited by osoymar on 19 June 2015 at 3:22am

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version