Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4989 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 31
27 May 2015 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Honestly, I've met plenty people with C1 certificates in English who write far worse. There are a few mistakes but nothing serious. The official C1 description sounds extremely impressive, but in practice it seems that the examiners' standards are a little lower, and of course you don't need full marks to pass.
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 10 of 31
27 May 2015 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
guiguixx1 wrote:
I haven't taken any test (too expensive for a student). It's just a rating. Is my
level really so weak?? Gosh, I just don't know how to get to C1 and C2 then. I am studying
Germanic languages and literatures, in my 3rd year, and use it more than anyone in my
class, and have read about 20 books in that language (and not the shortest ones
(although I read less than I used to))
Thanks for your feeback. Could you (or somebody else) tell me what seems to be my
weakness? How do you see that I'm lower than the C-range? How could I improve my level
any further? (Honestly, I almost haven't improved for the past 3 years... I just don't
see what else I could do than what I already do...)

And if my English is indeed weaker than what I rated it, then all my languages are
weaker than I thought...

Your English if fine, I noticed some misuse of plural and singular usage. If it was once I'd have thought it was a typo but it happened a couple of times. Also the use of digits rather than the word; i.g. 2 not two, 4 not four, etc. Of course this could just because you're young and using "text speak" not proper English. Some odd usage like: "I have more time than usually to study language" should be; "I have more time than usual to study language" or "I have more time than I usually do to study language".

But that wasn't why I asked the question. The reason I asked the question was because although you have some errors probably only noticeable to a native you rated as C1 moving to C2. So I was wondering if perhaps I was rating myself to strictly. :)

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3874 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 11 of 31
27 May 2015 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Writing "2" instead of "two" is just to write more quickly. I could write the entire
word, but is it really seen as a mistake? Of course, I might not write "2" for an
official examination.
"Usually" instead of "usual" is indeed a mistake that I tend to make quite often ^^'

I wrote "C1-C2" because I think that the barrier between the two levels is very
"thin". I mean by this that, although it takes a lot of time to move from C1 to C2, it
is sometimes very difficult (and especially when rating oneself), to know to which my
English level belongs. I might rather have a C1 level, but I might also have a level
between both, or closer to one than the other. I honestly have no idea. I also think
that it is easier to judge the level of a person (or even oneself) who is rather A1,
A2, B1, or B2, but I think that it's something else for C-range levels (though I may
be wrong. I may not have enough experience with the judgement of language levels).

It thus seems that it might not be such a bad idea, contrary to what I had thought
initially, to put English in my schedule, though I mainly intend to study more
vocabulary and idioms

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 12 of 31
27 May 2015 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
guiguixx1 wrote:
Writing "2" instead of "two" is just to write more quickly. I could write the entire
word, but is it really seen as a mistake? Of course, I might not write "2" for an
official examination.
"Usually" instead of "usual" is indeed a mistake that I tend to make quite often ^^'

I look at it this way. If you use foul language (cursing) when you talk, some people will be offended and some people won't. When you write incorrectly, some people will notice and some people will not. But the thing about bad habits is that it is better to never start a bad habit in the first place than to try to stop it later. Technically yes, it is a mistake to use digits in writing in some circumstances. My Aunt was an English teacher and she would roll in her grave at the poor English skills shown by my own children! Anyway, I chased down the rules for English, or recommendations really, for number usage.

Quote:

Here are the main rules you need to know for everyday writing:

1. Numbers under 10 should be written as words:
The report contains six sections.
The delegation visited four areas where rebel incursions had been reported in the previous two weeks.

2. All numbers should be written in words at the beginning of sentences:
Four hundred and fifty women were selected.
Sixty miles separates the two warring factions.

3. Fractions and ages should be written as words in non-technical, non-statistical texts:
Only two-thirds of the delegates voted.
This applies to everyone over the age of eighteen.

4. Numbers between 10 and 999,999 are normally written as figures:
The number of staff now stands at 1,417.
Although 69 people applied for the grant, only five were successful.

5. Percentages and ratios are always written as figures:
The budget increase for 2006 is projected to be 3 per cent.
The ratio of yields per hectare was 10:1.
(Note: 'per cent' is used, not '%', except in statistical texts.)

5. Results of elections and matches are written as figures:
The resolution was adopted by 15 votes to none, with 65 astentions.
The staff team lost the match 6-3.

6. Dates and times are written as figures:
On Thursday, 26 May 2005 at 10.30 am.
(Note: dates in United Nations correspondence are always written in this form. Forms such as 26/05/05 are not used. Time is indicated as above (not 10:30). Twenty-four hour clock may be used (2100, not 21.00).)

7. Numbers with fractions should be written as figures:
Costs were reduced by 10.75 per cent and profits almost doubled, increasing 1.75 times over the previous year.

8. Dimensions, weights and measures should be written as figures:
The container is 10.5" long, 6" wide and 3.2" deep. It weighs 1.2 kg.

9. Reference numbers are written as figures:
I am referring to chapter V, page 13, paragraph 2, in document A/54/1.

Note: for items 3-9, words are used if the number appears at the beginning of a sentence:
Two-thirds of the delegates voted.

10. Sums of money are written as figures:
The Committee was promised a relief sum of $20,000.

11. When indicating a number range, figures are used with either 'to' or a dash, and the unit given after the second item:
Salary increases across the region ranged from 3 to 4 per cent.
The shells landed 2 - 3 km from the village.
The increase in the number of children in the 8 - 15-year-old age group is noted.
He served in seven field offices from 1997 to 1999 (not 1997-99).

12. When giving high value number ranges, the unit is repeated to avoid any confusion:
The fund increased from $2 million to $4 million during the period.

13. When numbers are combined sometimes it is necessary to use words for one item to avoid confusion:
I ordered twenty 15-cent stamps.
I received 120 fifteen-cent stamps.
The raft was made of 12 ten-foot poles.
The class consisted of 30 seven-year-old children.
(Note the hyphens used in these examples.)

14. Figures are used if they are part of the name of a product type:
B-2 bomber, Airbus A340, Lockheed P-3 Orion, 7-11 stores.
5.5-inch calibre, 25-pounder.

I only wish I could get my children to work on their English. :)

4 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5648 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 13 of 31
27 May 2015 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
>>>>> Percentages and ratios are always written as figures:
>>>>> The budget increase for 2006 is projected to be 3 per cent.

Percent or per cent?

Both are generally acceptable but in the US and Canada, it is usually percent. In the
UK and Australia, it is usually per cent although percent seems to be becoming more
common.

It seems that percent is more in agreement with percentage because I don't think per
centage is ever used.

guiguixx1: Your English is excellent. I wish my French and Dutch were as good as your
English. HTLAL members are sometimes reluctant to offer suggestions for improvement
but I think we should do so more often, perhaps via a personal message. After all, we
are all here because we want to improve our languages.

Edited by tommus on 27 May 2015 at 6:28pm

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3874 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish

Message 14 of 31
27 May 2015 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, tommus, though I also do take other members' comments in consideration in
order to keep improving with my language skills.

To get back on track (though I still welcome any comments on the C1-C2-discussion, be it
here or via PM), does anyone still have new suggestions regarding my summer plan?

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 15 of 31
27 May 2015 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
two things (rdearman, thanks for the post on writing numbers)

1.In general, I think you might want to combine one mostly fun language and one heavy
studying language. It is hard to close one coursebook after a few hours of work and open
another one. But just adding a movie or a few chapters of a book, that is quite pleasant.
And it's summer, people should have fun! Sure, learning grammar and so on is fun too but
it is less relaxing and sometimes tiring for extended periods of time.

2.Your language combination scheme: I think it might be better not to pair two Germanic
languages (German and Dutch) together and two romance ones (Spanish and Esperanto, which
is far more romance than other things). Just an idea.
2 persons have voted this message useful

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3874 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 

Message 16 of 31
27 May 2015 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
@ Cavesa:

1. None of the "advanced" (min B1) language is not fun, and the only weak language
which is less fun than the others is German, so this is not a problem ;)

2. As I said, I don't have problems studying German and Dutch the same day, but even
if I had to take this into account, I would just have to change Esperanto with German

For Plan 1:
1) Spanish + German
2) dutch + esperanto
3) English + Italian
4) all

For Plan 2, However, I have some problems, because I take to take some parameters into
account:
- it's better not to have only strong or only weak language for a same period
- it's better to avoid having combinations such as Esperanto+Italian;
Esperanto+Spanish; Spanish+Italian; Dutch+German

I can't find a way to avoid these parameters. The best combination, in my opinion, is:
1) Spanish + German
2) Dutch + Italian + German
3) English + Spanish + Esperanto
4) All

I have tried all other possible combinations, and this is the only one left. I indeed
still have Dutch + German and Spanish + Esperanto, but at least there is each time a
strong language, to avoid interference.

I know that I could just do as I want, without a plan, but with it I am sure to
practice each language and make improvements.

Edited by guiguixx1 on 27 May 2015 at 9:03pm

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version