Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
31 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3874 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 25 of 31
30 May 2015 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
@Serpent: so you think that I could replace English
by Polish? Or keep English and simply add 1 Assimil
lesson of Polish a day? Or would it be too much?
And should I stick to plan 1 or 2? Plan 1 seems
better, especially if I do add Polish...

I very often try to bite off more than I can chew,
so please help me see what would be the most
possible—and—realistic—to—follow schedule and plan.

BTW: might go to Poland to see a polish friend of
mine the first week of September (one of the
reasons why I want to learn it again. Having even
A1 would be useful)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 31
30 May 2015 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
Well, it's not like Polish can take time away from English or vice versa. You'll be doing completely different activities in the two languages. For Polish I would recommend getting completely comfortable with the spelling and pronunciation. I did that via LR (L2-L2 and later L1-L2) and tongue-twisters, but I have the Slavic advantage obviously.

I'm confused by your plans and subplans tbh, and I'd say life is what happens when you are busy making plans ;)) What is your attitude in general? Do you plan everything and stick with it? Or is it more about insecurity and being constantly told to be more organized?

Sounds like you would benefit from using the 20 hour technique to solve specific problems. (sorry if I've given you the links before) Identify at least one problem per language and work on them.

Also, take advantage of the alternative techniques to learn more through fun.

No matter how much or little you plan, base your plans on what you know you can do, not what you think you could do with double or triple your normal effort. By all means, put in more time while you have it, but don't take this extra effort for granted and don't get stressed over it. Focus on the minutes, not hours.
3 persons have voted this message useful

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3874 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish

Message 27 of 31
30 May 2015 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Well, while I do like to have freedom and do what I want when I want, I know that the plans I have proposed would enable me
to stick to all languages and maybe be finally able to "speak" them all in the end, which is my final goal (before beginning
a new language). Furthermore, among all weak languages, there is none that I don't like practising (obviously), so sticking
to this plan (be it plan 1 or 2) shouldn't be too hard. Still, it's true that I cannot forsee what will happen...

The goal of this plan was also to make sure that I practice all languages and have more or less the same amount of time for
them all, AND avoid studying 2 closely related languages together, while also focusing on both advanced AND weak languages at
the same time, and therefore feeling that I improve in the weak ones, while also doing activities in the advanced ones which
would be motivating because I'd see that I CAN do interesting things with my languages (studying only weak languages for 2
months would be (rather) counter productive, because I would just spend time not being able to handle ANY native material,
and it would also be too energy-draining)

Actually, one month is enough to make progress, but it's also not too much. I mean that I probably won't get bored, and will
change every month so that it keeps me motivated.

I'm watching the 20,000 hours video, and my goal, in every weak language (except Polish), is to be able to speak them all
with basic easiness (about B1), and reading basic things. But my goal is more speaking-orientated, as well as feeling the
language, although this will take more time. For now, I just to be able to speak with foreign people, with basic easiness.
For Polish, it will mainly be about speaking and understanding, because I would try to use this language to communicate with
a polish friend in his city. In order to do this, I would only work with Assimil. For the other weak languages, I would
listen to podcast and find the vocab, and repeat regularly, as well as speaking to myself and writing on my log. I would also
try to find contents to my level. I'd maybe split my time in half for each language: Listening, writing down the vocab, on
the one hand, and reading texts on the other. I would also speak to myself using the weak language, and take a couple of
minutes writing on my log.
For the strong languages, I would do kind of the same: watching series and TV, but not focus on vocab (except if an item
seems really important). But regarding reading, I would try to underline all words that I could need, and focus on a broader
range of vocab than the weak languages (obviously). I mainly intend to extend my vocab, and maybe also make some research
about precise grammatical points.

I don't really use different approaches between the weak and the strong languages, except that I speak to myself only in the
weak languages. I have stopped doing it in English for example, since this language is too strong for this kind of exercice.

If you have any advice regarding how I intend to do (and regarding the approaches weak languages VS strong languages), please
let me know. I may have never been really strategic in my learning, because of my lack of experience (I begin learning
language not so long ago).

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3874 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 

Message 28 of 31
10 June 2015 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
After some time and some thinking, I have thought about another approach: I more and more want to go back to German and Italian WHILE keeping on styding Esperanto and improving Spanish. So I am again considering simultaneous study.

I could, as suggested earlier, work 30 min a day or so on each language, to keep them fresh, while using the rest of the time on whatever language I feel like focusing on, or I could try another pattern: practising all my language every two days:
day 1: 1 hour of English + 3 hours of Spanish + 3 hours of Esperanto + 1 hour of Polish (1 assimil lesson)
day 2: 1 hour of Dutch + 3 hours of Italian + 3 hours of German + 1 hour of Polish

This would help me focusing hard on 4 languages "intensively", while still spending time on the others, and using them all very regularly.

Or I could just study 30-45 min on each language every day + study whatever language I want for the rest of the day. Nevertheless, I hope that this would work, since I am usually less productive in simultaneous study, although this time I would have plenty of time AND I would practice all my language at the same time, which is what I like most :)

regarding my last post: does anyone have any advice, as I asked at the end of my post? I would like to benefit from people's opinion who have more experience than me :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 29 of 31
10 June 2015 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
The best plan is the one you can stick with :)
Above all, be flexible. don't aim to find 3 hours, aim to find 30 min, and then 30 more etc. Consider timeboxing/pomodoro. Focus on the process and not how much you want to achieve in 20-40 min.
And I would not set limits on fun stuff. If you get into the flow, don't stop arbitrarily. Just make sure your materials for each language are equally addictive, or schedule some quality time with those that aren't (and ask around - it shouldn't be a problem to find addictive stuff in your languages :))
Well, apart from Esperanto maybe, at least that's my experience. But if you have cool stuff, good for you :)

And have a plan B. What will you do when (not if) you can't follow the original plan? Also, does the alternation cover every day of the week, so that one week is 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, and the next is the opposite? Is it realistic for you to stick to the plan on Saturdays&Sundays (if you even intend to)?

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3324 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 30 of 31
11 June 2015 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
guiguixx1 wrote:
After some time and some thinking, I have thought about another approach: I more and more want to go back to German and Italian WHILE keeping on styding Esperanto and improving Spanish. So I am again considering simultaneous study.

I'm also doing multiple language study and have found it somewhat helpful to arrange study does so that I have a "dinner" language and a "dessert" language. What is that? With dinner and dessert, normally one is disciplined to eat all of one's dinner before being allowed to treat oneself to cake or ice-cream. The same it can be for language consuming activities (aka "studying").

For example, it sounds to me like German is your "dessert" language. You really are wanting to study it, but you know you had really ought to be improving your Spanish, as you say. So give yourself a diet (a quota), and say, that you are not allowed to begin consuming your dessert language until you finish your daily quota of 2.75 hours (for example) of continuous, uninterrupted, dinner language (Spanish).

Edited by chaotic_thought on 11 June 2015 at 10:14pm

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4072 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 31 of 31
12 June 2015 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
Another option is also to have a tasting bord starter entrée, smörgasbord and tapas for
main course, and cheese and chocolate tasting bord for dessert...

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version