Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5583 days ago

51 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, German, Italian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 17 of 20
28 May 2015 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Good choice with Italian. It sounds like from your first post that it's what you really wanted to learn!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lucie Tellier
Diglot
France
Joined 3252 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: French*, English

Message 18 of 20
29 May 2015 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
Well, a lot of things have happened since I last posted, and I'm lost. I haven't actively studied English for a long time (over a year) and I feel really guilty. I'm pretty sure I have forgotten thousand of words already, and I'd like to plug my "vocabulary leaks" before they get worse.

It seems like my passive vocabulary is even more dormant than before, and my active vocabulary used to be much better.
I just took the Dialang vocabulary test. The Placement test (verbs) put me at bordeline C1 (879). That's almost C2, but I used to have a better score at that test.
I did get a perfect score on the "real" vocabulary test, which means that my overall level is still C2.
Yes, I know, I didn't take the other tests, but I got C2 almost 5 years ago in grammar, and I don't think that score has changed.
As for listening comprehension, I think I'll be forever stuck in C1/C2 limbo, and at that point I don't really care anymore. I'm more concerned about broadening my vocabulary, to be honest.

I took the vocabulary test which is based on self-assessment. I think I was rather cruel with myself when I scored my comprehension of the words. My English vocabulary was estimated at 23,500 words. So, apparently I have the vocabulary of a 21-year-old native English speaker. Sadly, I still struggle with some basic books, so the words I know are either useless or too specialized. I plateaued at 20k words for years, so I guess I should be happy, but maybe I just got easy words.

Also, I've forgotten too much basic vocabulary, so I'm really worried.
I should read Harry Potter, but for some reason I can't bring myself to do it. I still think it's a really difficult book to understand, no matter the language.

So, Italian has fallen by the wayside. Maybe 10 minutes a day of Italian would do?
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 19 of 20
29 May 2015 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
I'd say it's better to put in half an hour several times a week than 10 min every day. 10 min, that is really short time to get focused and switch brain into the "Italian learning mode". Some activities are better practiced like that but I wouldn't say it applies to overall learning.

Harry Potter tends to be among the easiest books to start with, unless you count in graded readers, BDs and books for really small children. You shouldn't have trouble with it if you are in the C levels. Truth be told, someone at the C1/C2 level should be able to read anything they want, it just requires some practice.

I'd say the problem may lie elsewhere. Do you want to read Harry Potter, do YOU find it interesting and fun? If not (which would be a totally valid reason for postponing it further and further or giving up on it), try something different. What do you like to read in French? Try your faourite book in English no matter the genre. In general, books for teenagers, crime novels, fantasy, sci-fi and such things tend to be a good starting point. Or you may just happen to be a non-fiction lover and, in that case, there are awesome alternatives as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 20 of 20
29 May 2015 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Cavesa, you need more than ten minutes to learn Italian, although if you only have 10 minutes it is better than nothing. If you have C1/C2 in English the only way you're going to improve is to read more. Or you can simply take down a dictionary and try to learn one or two new words per day. It sounds like your English is the language which only needs ten minutes per day. Use flashcards for English words, that is how natives improve their vocabulary too.

Personally I hate Harry Potter, I've read that series in 2 languages, my children dragged me to the movies, and I've come to despise it. There is a hell of a lot of great literature in English, so forget HP and find something you are interested in reading. The Guardian Newspapers 1000 books to read before you die, would be an excellent starting point to look for books to read. Personally I like Steinbeck, so try: "Of mice and men", or "The Grapes of Wrath". Or Ernest Hemingway, "The Old Man and the Sea", "A Farewell to Arms", etc, etc. And don't forget all the out of copyright stuff available on Gutenberg

You'll learn a lot more vocabulary from Steinbeck or Hemingway than Harry Potter.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version