Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5578 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 1 of 10
27 May 2015 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
In a business email, how would you say "I'll be out of the office until the 22nd of June" in American English?
I've been asked by a learner and thought it would be something like "I'll be out of the office until June 26th"
but want to be sure before answering.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Random review on 27 May 2015 at 2:27am

1 person has voted this message useful

basica
Australia
Joined 3331 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 2 of 10
27 May 2015 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Unless I'm missing something, either is fine. The only difference really is if you're
writing the dates as numbers, then it's MM/DD/YY.
3 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4684 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 10
27 May 2015 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
Either one sounds natural to me. I think the second might be slightly more common.

Our work email doesn't even use ordinal numbers. The automatic message on our servers is I'll be out until February 8.   Though this might be less 'American English' and more 'I have coworkers who suck at grammar.'   

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3847 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 10
27 May 2015 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
I would say that all three formulations are acceptable today, including kanewai's formulation of until February 8. This formulation has been used in NATO communications and many individual member-states' armed forces communications prior to the widespread use of computers. Can't you just see Monty saying, "We'll be in Arnhem by September 17"?
2 persons have voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4854 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 5 of 10
27 May 2015 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
American English speaker here.

a. "I'll be out of the office until the 22nd of June." Correct, but somewhat formal sounding. I wouldn't usually use
this.
b. "I'll be out of the office until June 22nd." Correct. This would be my preferred form in speech.
c. "I'll be out of the office until June 22." Correct, but sounds better in writing than in speech.
d. "I'll be out of the office until the 22nd." Correct in informal speech when it's clear what month you mean.
e. "I'll be out of the office until the 22." Not acceptable for me.
f. "I'll be out of the office until 6/22." Correct, but this is pronounced as one of a-c. I wouldn't read it as "six
twenty-two."
g. "I'll be out of the office until 22 June." Not acceptable in my dialect. I think of this as a British form.

Edited by robarb on 27 May 2015 at 5:41am

4 persons have voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3337 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 6 of 10
27 May 2015 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
In a business email, how would you say "I'll be out of the office until the 22nd of June" in American English?

For writing this in an American-only context, you would write "I'll be out of the office until 6/22.". However, assuming an American-only context in a business email doesn't make much sense, so instead you should write "I'll be out of the office until 22 Jun."

As for saying the above phrase, Americans would usually say "I'll be out of the office until June twenty second," regardless of how it's written.

2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4328 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 7 of 10
27 May 2015 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:

b. "I'll be out of the office until June 22nd." Correct. This would be my preferred form in speech.

I think this is the best too.

robarb wrote:

f. "I'll be out of the office until 6/22." Correct, but this is pronounced as one of a-c. I wouldn't read it as "six
twenty-two."

As an Australian/British speaker this looks terrible. :(

robarb wrote:

g. "I'll be out of the office until 22 June." Not acceptable in my dialect. I think of this as a British form.

This on the other hand looks fine.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5170 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 8 of 10
27 May 2015 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
I've worked every day of my professional life in an professional office setting in the US and I would say "I will be out of the office until June 26, 2015." That is what I put in my "out of office" email auto reply at work when I am on vacation or something. This is definitely the most common/professional way to write this type of phrase.

When writing a professional letter you would need to write the date this way (including the year) and I see no reason to do it differently in an email.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version