soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3702 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 1 of 6
30 May 2015 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
I know that the German dialects vary from region to region, but how would someone who speaks Hochdeutsch (non-native) fare when traveling in Germany? Do natives see this as "too proper" (snotty)? Would there be any problems for a traveler that knows only Hochdeutsch/Standard German?

EDIT: forgot to add - I could've sworn this was brought up before but I couldn't find the post, so I apologize if this has already been discussed.

Edited by soclydeza85 on 30 May 2015 at 4:32am

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 6
30 May 2015 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
It's not a problem at all. Most Germans use Hochdeutsch (or whatever passes for their
variant of it) when they speak to someone from another town that doesn't speak their
dialect at all. Otherwise, Bavarians and Kohlenpotters can't communicate. The younger
generation's dialects are not that strong and you should be able to deal with them if
you speak Standard German, although you may need some time to tune in to the stronger
variations, such as in Bayern.

No, it's not snotty. Is it snotty to use Standard English or Standard French when you
are travelling to the UK or to Quebec? No, and neither is it that way in Germany. My
German has always been perfectly adequate wherever I went, and I clearly speak
standard German influenced by my native Dutch (so people will recognize the weak
accent and switch to more standard German to accomodate me, unless they can't). I've
spoken Hochdeutsch in Bavaria and managed just fine.

And I should mention I don't speak perfect German either, but my level is more than
good enough for anything I'll ever need to do in Germany.

Edited by tarvos on 30 May 2015 at 5:14am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4925 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 3 of 6
30 May 2015 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
Not at all. You'll be fine with good Hochdeutsch - especially when you've got a slight foreign accent - everywhere in the German speaking world from Austria to Belgium, and of course all over Germany. Unfortunately, it's rather the other way round in many (but not all) parts of Germany: dialects are often looked down upon and are under pressure from the standard dialect.
4 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4316 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 4 of 6
30 May 2015 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
Speaking "too proper" is not a matter of Hochdeutsch vs. dialects but a matter of style. The language used in books is a bit different from the language used colloquially. I wouldn't speak English like I write academic papers either. But even if you do sound bookish, it's not gonna be a problem, especially as a foreigner. Better sound bookish than like you are from the ghetto.

5 persons have voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3702 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 5 of 6
03 June 2015 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
Thanks guys!

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4417 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 6 of 6
12 June 2015 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
I've spoken Hochdeutsch in deepest rural Brandenburg and it works just fine. I think the locals are simply glad that a visitor can actually speak German. Understanding the replies can be a different matter though, especially among older generations.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version