Groupie
United States
Joined 3355 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Irish, French

Message 9 of 9
11 June 2015 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
luke, I appreciate your typing all this out. I remember things much better when I've seen
them written down; I call myself video-dyslexic.

Jeffers wrote:
I was especially interested in the statement "Phrases, rather than words
is what you want". If you want to get speaking right away, I think that phrases certainly
have to be the focus. Someone said on that thread that phrases are the building block of
language, not words, and I've heard linguists say that as well. We often think of language
like words as bricks and grammar as mortar, but in reality people don't just stick words
together. People speak in collections of set phrases, and variations of set phrases, that
they themselves have heard over and over.

I think this is spot on. Even in my native English, I often pause to think between spoken
phrases, and in writing I certainly do. Studying Irish, I don't do sentence cards so much
as phrase cards (with audio!), where I can practice patterns of wording and inflection,
tone and rhythm, and internalize how the words interact.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version