Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 1 of 5
01 June 2015 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
I would like to work on my speaking skills, and while I can figure out what most things are in French by now, I don't get to practice it very much, and so my recall is still quite slow when trying to speak, I have started with a sentence or two at a time and just saying them aloud. I can tell when my accent is not right, or the pronunciation, but I may think I am right sometime, and not be. Wheres a good place for just practicing pronunciation if you don't have someone you can speak with? I'd also like to do this with Italian as well. What I'm asking is I guess for some way of practicing speech while I am alone, and improving recall speed and over all pronunciation, of which I am decent, but not perfect since I didn't learn French for this in the beginning.
1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5163 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 2 of 5
01 June 2015 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Depending on your level it sounds like Pimsleur and/or FSI would be perfect solutions for you.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3795 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 3 of 5
01 June 2015 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
I am also learning French. I think Pimsleur is exactly what you need. I started with Pimsleur I and am just a
few lessons shy of completing Pimsleur IV. I started using Pimsleur to help me with my pronunciation, but I
have also found it has really assisted in automaticity and fluidity. I haven't learned a lot of vocabulary though
as I did other material first. Many of us on the board have commented on the benefits of Pimsleur, particularly
in the later courses. Pimsleur can be quite expensive so Inrecommend you seeing if your local library has it
available or can get it for you through an Inter-Library Loan. Otherwise if you choose to buy it, Audible seems
to have the best prices

I have not personally done French FSI, but I understand it to be quite helpful (and free), although somewhat
dated. There is also a basic phonology course you can do with/independent of the main FSI course.

Lastly, I have found native speakers to be instrumental in my development, as well as quite fun. I found my
penpals through mylanguageexchange.com. Two of my penpal I have been with 18 months now and can't
imagine this journey without them. It is very intimidating at first, but there is nothing like immediate feedback
from a native!

Best of Luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 5
02 June 2015 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Tyrion101 wrote:
I would like to work on my speaking skills, and while I can figure
out what most things are in French by now, I don't get to practice it very much, and
so my recall is still quite slow when trying to speak, I have started with a sentence
or two at a time and just saying them aloud. I can tell when my accent is not right,
or the pronunciation, but I may think I am right sometime, and not be. Wheres a good
place for just practicing pronunciation if you don't have someone you can speak with?
I'd also like to do this with Italian as well. What I'm asking is I guess for some
way of practicing speech while I am alone, and improving recall speed and over all
pronunciation, of which I am decent, but not perfect since I didn't learn French for
this in the beginning.

You always have someone you can speak with, online. www.italki.com and
www.verbling.com will help you immensely. If you want to check pronunciation there's
Forvo.
3 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5516 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 5 of 5
05 June 2015 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
You can always try self-talk. Speaking with a native can be intimidating so before you have a live conversation, you can just rehearse it on your own. Give yourself a topic and try to speak off the cuff about it for as long as you can so that you train your brain to think quicker. Sometimes you have to make yourself "activate" your skills. Don't worry whether your accent is perfect or whether you nail the pronunciation (you can check those later) just talk, talk, talk.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version