Language comprehension

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
Altbringer
United States
Joined 3266 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 1 of 5
04 June 2015 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
firstly id like to appologize for the grammer and spelling errors im about to make

also i understand that what im about to ask might sound like blasphemy,

i have enough trouble speaking in my native English, i often lose my thought
or speak in half sentences,and i have some wierd "writers block" kinda thing
and it takes excessive amounts of time to write, if i manage anything at all

but id really like to be able to "listen in other languages"
for lack of better words, i know that typically youd learn by reading, writing,
and speaking, in a target language,
but since im so awkward in even my native speech, im rather convinced
that actually speaking or writing a new language is going to always going to
elude me,

is there any methods out there, in which i could put more focus into
hearing and understanding other languages, than the speak and write
part?
1 person has voted this message useful

day1
Groupie
Latvia
Joined 3670 days ago

93 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 2 of 5
04 June 2015 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
You don't have to speak and write, if you don't want to. Any course with a lot of CDs and dialog translations or any audio-only course, at that, can be converted to your specific needs.

Michel Thomas, Pimsleur - listen, enjoy, don't bother trying to speak out loud.

Instant Immersion program (don't remember which publisher, there are several courses by that name) also is an audio-only course. Linguaphone has those beginner all-audio (AllTalk?) courses where you don't have to use a book at all. Teach Yourself "Conversation" courses (or "learn to speak in 10 days, as they're now called) courses are also listening only. Then there are those Living Language courses, where half of the CDs are meant to be used "on the go" - that is, without a book.

Any course with vocabulary list and preferrably dialog translations can be used as mainly audio course. Keep new vocabulary in front of you, and listen to the dialog on CD as many times as you need to understand it.

If you want to learn Spanish, oh my, there's Learn Spanish Like Crazy, Platiquemos, Synergy Spanish and what not - all on tape.

Listen to songs, many websites are devoted to translating lyrics. Upgrade to films with subtitles in your native language, advance to audiobooks.

You don't HAVE TO go the traditional way.

If you specify which languages you're thinking of trying, you'll get a more specific list of books, sites and methods to try. There are so many options out there, I'm sure you'll find something that fits YOU.

Edited by day1 on 04 June 2015 at 1:23pm

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5014 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 3 of 5
04 June 2015 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
You'd be fine doing as day1 said and just do the course and listen. Nobody says you have to speak, that is your choice. You can move on to native materials like radio, etc. You didn't say what language you want to study, but there are courses for all of them near enough.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5153 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 4 of 5
04 June 2015 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
I think the classic programs by Berlitz called "Think and Speak Spanish/French/German/Etc" would be perfect. They are all target audio, fun and designed for learning listening/comprehension skills.

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3634 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 5 of 5
05 June 2015 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
You might also want to check out forum member Bakunin's log and blog. The log and blog are about Khmer, but the method is really interesting, and is completely on audio, rather than the written word.

Here is the log, which in turn contains a link to the blog. Good luck!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version