Lucie Tellier
Diglot
France
Joined 3252 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: French*, English

Message 1 of 81
05 June 2015 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
I've mostly been using thematic lists, but I probably should have selected the important words within the list. I was under the impression that I would eventually either finish studying the vocabulary book entirely or learn the missing "common" words elsewhere, but it never happened.

In my experience, learning words haphazardly like I've been doing has several drawbacks. I've realised today that while I know some words that are rare, my understanding of some of the most frequent words is still fuzzy... or nonexistent.

Until yesterday, I was pretty much convinced that one word was "worth" exactly the same no matter its meaning and frequency.

While in theory it's true, as the next text I read might contain that word, in my humble opinion this way of thinking is flawed.

I'm pretty horrified at the thought that I still have huge gaps in my written and spoken understanding of English just because I didn't use the right method to learn vocabulary.

Do you have any advice to help me make up for lost time vocabulary-wise?

I guess I should either ignore most of the flashcards I made in the past and start afresh keeping only a few words, or I should make brand-new cards, which would take more time.

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 81
05 June 2015 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
Your English is really good, what kind of vocab do you have gaps in? I remember how at 16 I first learned the word destination in English while looking up the Finnish equivalent. I try not to feel bad about this kind of thing. In a way it's fascinating how a perfectly common word may escape your attention.

Do you read books and watch TV in English?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 81
05 June 2015 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
What vocabulary to learn, that depends always on your goals and time you've got.

Thematic lists are awesome when it comes to learning vocabulary you could easily need when staying in the country. And that tends to be vocabulary you won't find in frequency dictionaries, most literature or movies. However, an approach you suggest, learn the few most important pieces from the list first and leave the rest for later is a totally valid strategy.

For the rest, huge amounts of native input are a great help in learning what is trully needed, from my experience.

Some people use frequency lists and consider frequent=improtant and useful. Well, not always. A frequency list based on newspapers (a common source for corpora used for such lists' creation) may not include tons of words you need for other purposes than news reading and vice versa.

So: No single source is perfect and you'll always need to combine. What vocabulary book have you been using? I agree with Serpent it might be time you incorporated more native resources in your learning. Or good old fashioned time consuming reading of a dictionary and learning words you consider useful and don't know yet. You are already advanced in English enough to know the best what are YOU likely to ever need.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4315 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 81
06 June 2015 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

For the rest, huge amounts of native input are a great help in learning what is truly needed, from my experience.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

day1
Groupie
Latvia
Joined 3674 days ago

93 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 5 of 81
06 June 2015 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
My comment is based on the fact that your English is already on a decent level.

"Frequent words" vary from person to person. There are some things I never speak about - music, for example. So the vocabulary that is needed to discuss this subject is "infrequent" for me. For someone who is playing bass in an orchestra in London, such vocabulary will be "frequent" indeed. If you like discussing politics with everyone you meet, or gourmet foods, or language learning methods, then that's the kind of vocabulary that is "frequent" for you.

In certain areas my English vocabulary is quite good, but today I had to use Google image search to understand what the hell is a "blazer". Turns out it's what I have always thought of as a jacket. Apparently, I had never needed this word before. So, no matter how high or low on general word frequency list it is, it's an "infrequent" word for me.

Keep on reading the books you read, watching the programs and movies you watch, and based on what you're interested in and likely to talk about, you'll learn YOUR frequent words.

A more practical approach is, when ever you find a word you don't know and can't guess, look it up in a dictionary (I started doing it only after buying an e-book reader with built in dictionary look-up), preferably with pronunciation as well. If you are chatting to people and don't know a certain word (I used to not know what you call those little annoying coffee bits in the bottom of the coffee cup - that's coffee dregs, as it turned out) then do not feel shy to ask, or, if you're chatting to another non-native who also does not know, just google it :) It helps!

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3324 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 6 of 81
06 June 2015 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
day1 wrote:
In certain areas my English vocabulary is quite good, but today I had to use Google image search to understand what the hell is a "blazer". Turns out it's what I have always thought of as a jacket. Apparently, I had never needed this word before. So, no matter how high or low on general word frequency list it is, it's an "infrequent" word for me.

As a native speaker I have never needed this word. Unless you work in a clothing store, I can't imagine a situation that requires one to use 'blazer', i.e. a situation where using 'jacket' would not do.

That being said, you are expected to be able understand someone when he refers to a "man in a blazer". However, this is a good example where you don't need deep knowledge about the word to understand what it means. For example, if you're interested in the topic, you are of course at complete liberty to do an image search on "blazer", or to read about blazers and try to find out why people use that word and how one can distinguish between a blazer and a suit jacket.

But all of that is too much. For 99.9% of purposes all you actually need to know is that 'blazer' is a word some people use to mean 'jacket'.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 7 of 81
06 June 2015 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
chaotic_thought wrote:
day1 wrote:

As a native speaker I have never needed this word. Unless you work in a clothing store, I can't imagine a situation that requires one to use 'blazer', i.e. a situation where using 'jacket' would not do.

That being said, you are expected to be able understand someone when he refers to a "man in a blazer". However, this is a good example where you don't need deep knowledge about the word to understand what it means. For example, if you're interested in the topic, you are of course at complete liberty to do an image search on "blazer", or to read about blazers and try to find out why people use that word and how one can distinguish between a blazer and a suit jacket.

But all of that is too much. For 99.9% of purposes all you actually need to know is that 'blazer' is a word some people use to mean 'jacket'.

This word is MUCH more common in British English than American English. Mostly because of the use of school uniforms and suits. So another problem you have with frequency lists is which version of English do you want to speak?

:)

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5212 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 8 of 81
07 June 2015 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
In yet another guise, we are seeing the same phenomenon that we have discussed endlessly here at HTLAL when
we look at receptive and productive vocabulary. What we know is that a very small number of word families
account for a very large proportion of words used in written or spoken language. We see for example in Spanish
that around 1000 words represent about 80% of all words in a corpus of spoken Spanish. This is text coverage.

To get higher coverage, we have to increase the number of words considerably and geometrically. This is also a
product of the way the corpora are constituted; they are the sum of many individual samples. Any sample may
contain only a small number of different words, but all samples put together, we have many different words.

What this means is that beyond the small number of very common words, the other words become nearly equally
rare. In other words, the difference in probability between encountering word 10000 and word 30000 is not that
great. This is why 100% coverage requires such enormous numbers of words.

But, of course, depending on what you read, your actual requirements can be lot less. As we have seen here,
there are people who have never seen 'blazer' and maybe never will; then there are people who hear it every day
because they work in a men's haberdashery. In between these two extremes we have varying degrees of
knowledge of this term,

Now, the question here is: Should we make an effort to learn blazer, using maybe an SRS even though we have
never encountered it? My position is no. We'll learn blazer when we run into it. Maybe we never will. If we need it
we'll learn it.

Edited by s_allard on 07 June 2015 at 12:46am

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version