Lucie Tellier
Diglot
France
Joined 3230 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: French*, English

Message 81 of 81
12 July 2015 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
Serpent, I'd like to thank you for your analysis of my English.
I believe my written English used to be better, but after taking a one-year break from the language for various reasons, I'm a bit rusty.
I don't write or speak English any more. I have no one to interact with in the language, and I'm not actively seeking penpals.
I do have a couple of learner's dictionaries, but I think I ended up buying the subpar ones.
The Collins and Macmillan dictionaries do look interesting, but they're also expensive, and my current budget for language learning material is very tight.

I've always had my own style when writing, and it's not necessarily a good thing. A long time ago, I was like you and I would systematically check to make sure the expressions I used sounded natural.
Nowadays, it's not that I don't care, but like I said, since I never get the chance to practise my English, I don't really have to look up expressions on Google.
This year, I had two voice chats which went very well, but let's be honest, I won't learn anything by Skyping with some random English speaker.

I think I should read more, but this won't necessarily make my English less awkward.
Also, my spoken English is much more colloquial, but this is a forum, which is part of the reason why I'm making an effort.

I'm not trying to show anyone how good my English is, especially since it used to be better. I'm not particularly happy with my level right now. One would think that since I've been studying one language only for so long, I'd be completely bilingual by now.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version