soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3703 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 1 of 18
05 June 2015 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
I'm just curious if there is some historical reason for this: why are numbers in German said backwards from how it is written numerically? Every other Germanic language (that I know of) says them forwards. For example, 35 is not said dreißigundfünf, but rather fünfunddreißig (5-3). Is there a reason for this?

EDIT: After playing with a translator, I see they do it in Dutch too, but not the Scandinavian languages.

Edited by soclydeza85 on 05 June 2015 at 4:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4030 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 2 of 18
05 June 2015 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
From a simple Google search: why are German numbers backwards
2 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4568 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 3 of 18
05 June 2015 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
soclydeza85 wrote:
After playing with a translator, I see they do it in Dutch too, but not the Scandinavian languages.
Danish has this too. In fact, the Danish numeral system is rather notorious for combining the German unit-decimal reversal and the French semi-vigesimal system, plus a few quirks of its own

Edited by vonPeterhof on 05 June 2015 at 8:38am

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5116 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 4 of 18
05 June 2015 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
soclydeza85 wrote:
Every other Germanic language (that I know of) says them forwards.
Really, how about sixteen vs. ten-six?

BTW, knowing the German way of counting might come in handy if you ever decide to study Arabic, because they use the same word order. :-) For example 35 is "khamsa[5] wa[and] thalāthūna[30]."

At least one German mathematician feels like you and wants to change the system. He set up a Verein dedicated to this cause: Zwanzigeins.
5 persons have voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3338 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 5 of 18
05 June 2015 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
We do this in English too. You don't even have to pick up that old of books to see it quite commonly come up in literature. Just a random search of project Gutenberg produces some quotes such as these:

"her ladyship would have kept her daughter in pinafores up to her present age of six-and-twenty"

"Mrs Sarah Gamp was, four-and-twenty years ago, a fair representation of the hired attendant on the poor in sickness"

"a man of four-and-thirty must try and act the part"

etc.

I'd have to check but as I recall I believe all figures in the King James Bible are also read in a similar fashion.

Of course if you write out the numbers in digits there's no telling how someone could read it:

Is it "one thousand, two hundred thirty-four", "twelve hundred thirty four" or "twelve hundred four-and-thirty"? Does it ultimately make any difference?

All such readings are equally grammatical and it really boils down to matters of convention, just like we now have the preferred convention to read the current year as "twenty fifteen" rather than "two thousand fifteen". You have only to go back a few years to hear competing conventions such as "two thousand three" vs "two thousand and three" vs "twenty oh-three" etc.

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3703 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 6 of 18
05 June 2015 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
From a simple Google search: why are German numbers backwards

Right, I did and I saw that exact page, but given that it's not such an easy question to answer and that this is a site about languages I figured the folks on here might have something interesting to say about it.

Doitsujin wrote:
At least one German mathematician feels like you and wants to change the system. He set up a Verein dedicated to this cause: Zwanzigeins.

Oh I have no interest in changing the system, I was just curious as to the origins. Given that Germany has produced some of the most brilliant physicists and mathematicians, as well as being the world standard in engineering, perhaps it's us that should change our system!

I didn't think about us using it in the teens for the English system. One interesting point that was made in that link from Via Diva was that (in a time before writing) that they may have found it redundant to state the 10s place first, since it is the 1s place that is changing; if you're counting from 30-39, we already know we're in the 30's, so it might make more sense to enunciate the 1s place by saying it first (1 and 30, 2 and 30, etc).

I was also unaware that this idea is also used in English literature; now the more I think about it, maybe it's us modern English speakers are the ones that have it backwards.

I've always found numbers in languages interesting as it gives insight to how older cultures thought. Like how French doesn't have a 70, but rather 60+10. Or the link between latin-based numbers and the Gregorian calendar (using Italian as an example, sette=7 but settembre is the 9th month, otto=8 but ottobre is the 10th month, and so on). But I digress.

1 person has voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4931 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 7 of 18
05 June 2015 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Reading this thread, I remember my Facebook status several days ago whose mean was this:
Quote:
Indonesian:
75 = Tujuhpuluh Lima = Seventy Five

OK!

Bitch Please...
Japan:
13 = Juusan = Ten Three

Bitch Please...
Javanese:
65 = Sewidak Limo = Sixty (sewidak is an exclusive word) Five

Bitch Please...
Germany:
21= Einundzwanzig = One and Twenty

Bitch Please...
France:
91 = Quatre Vingt et Onze = Four Times Twenty and Eleven

Bitch Please...
Tally:
32 = 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 2

Bitch Please...
Binary:
48 = 110000 = Two to the Power of Five plus Two to the Power of Four

Bitch Please...
Roman:
99 = XCIX = Ten Less from One Hundred Plus One Less from Ten

*table flips*

Edited by Monox D. I-Fly on 06 June 2015 at 1:29am

3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 18
06 June 2015 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
In Gaston Dorren's Lingo: A Language-Spotter’s Guide to Europe there's a chapter on Breton numbers - a combination of the backwards system, vigesimals and "half-hundred".
Example:
73 three-and-ten and three-times-twenty (13, 60)
52 two and half-hundred (2, 50)

(All Celtic languages work like that, more or less.)

Compared to that, German is pretty easy.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 07 June 2015 at 8:26pm

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version