Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 10
07 June 2015 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
Well, in that case, you have time to acquire good base of the language, much more than just any survival minumum :-)

From your description, I am under the impression you should work on your pronunciation. For two main reasons:
1.Mistakes you get used to now are gonna be hard to unlearn later
2.French natives are much less forgiving than the Spanish ones. I am not the only one with such experience, I can recommend, for example, garyb's log where we discussed the issue I think, or there were a few threads on native reactions. While the Spanish (or German) natives will quite happily just answer in their language, if you seem to cope somehow, the French have much higher standards you need to meet before you are considered intelligent enough to put together more than "bonjour".

But I can easily believe you are really good at keeping people from switching, much better than I am. I even had to get drunk with one native so that we could speak in French :-D But the French are better at speaking English than the Spaniards, don't count on them being bad enough to give up. And even when they are really bad, they have hard time believing your French could be better than their English (which is offensive but it's just the way they appear to think).

I understand your dislike towards the news. If you don't like to listen to them in English either, why in French. But there are other sources. I don't know that many podcasts for French learners, but I think your resources (including the graded reader audiobooks and comprehension series) could be followed directly by tv series. And tv series are an extremely efficient way to get ready for the natives in vivo :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

shapd
United Kingdom
Joined 5930 days ago

126 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Modern Hebrew, French, Russian

Message 10 of 10
08 June 2015 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
You sound as if you are at just the right stage for www.podclub.ch. They are clear
podcasts at A2/B1 level, based on the life of the people in France, travelogues etc. No
lives of politicians. All have transcriptions and explanations of difficulties in
vocabulary or aspects of French life.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version