Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3846 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 1 of 7
07 June 2015 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
I am opening a separate discussion thread for Beginning Japanese by by Elenor Harz Jorden. Here are the two posts that were logged under the FSI: new website discussion thread:

Speakeasy:

UPDATE ON THE FSI JAPANESE FAST AUDIO FILES:

I received the "FSI Japanese" files today that I had ordered on EBay. Unfortunately, they are an exact copy of the files that are presently posted on the FSI-Language-Courses website. So, they do not include the audio for the FSI Japanese FAST course, after all.   I imagine that the "reseller" simply downloaded them from the FSI database and posted an advertisement on EBay. I'm disappointed, but not all that surprised, as we've seen this type of "scam" in the past.

There is another "reseller" on EBay that has an offer for "FSI Japanese". They, too, are offering an exact copy of the files that are presently posted on the FSI-Language-Courses website. In addition, they include a copy of the "FSI Japanese Basic Course" in their package. However, if you open the link, further down the page, they display the cover of "Beginning Japanese, Part 1 and 2" by Elenor Harz Jorden. The textbooks are still for sale on the Yale University website as well as on Amazon, EBay, and elsewhere, which suggests to me that they are not in the public domain. Here's the LINK to offer on EBay which, interestingly enough, seems to include the audio files to the "Beginning Japanese" course:

FSI Japanese (sic)

You win some, you lose some.

willcouchman:

However, these textbooks (i.e. the Jorden ones) are "available" on ERIC - though the PDF is pending restoration, so that kind of sounds to me like they are public domain. Audio-lingual Japanese courses are like gold dust, so could be worth tracking down!

Will

Follow-up Discussion:

Hi Will,

This is quite interesting! I just tried searching the ERIC website for Beginning Japanese, but came up empty-handed. What search criteria did you use to locate these textbooks on ERIC? Could you provide a LINK to the documents?

To Ericounet and anyone else,

This could be an interesting development. If the owners of the copyright to the "Beginning Japanese" textbook have given permission for its free-of-charge availability on the ERIC website, there is the possibility that the recorded soundtracks might benefit from the same treatment. The challenge will be to determine who holds the copyright to the recordings (it is not necessarily the author of, or the publisher of, the textbook) and to gain their permission to host the audio files on, say, the FSI Language Courses database. I think that it would be presumptive to conclude that the mere fact that a "reseller" is offering the textbook and audio files on EBay is proof, in itself, of the materials being in the public domain.

Does anyone want to "pick up the ball and run with it" on this project?

1 person has voted this message useful

Ericounet
France
yojik.euRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5229 days ago

157 posts - 414 votes 
Studies: English, German, Russian

Message 2 of 7
07 June 2015 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
hi

here is the link to the pdf in restoration:

Japanese

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3846 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 3 of 7
08 June 2015 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
@Ericounet,

Thank you for the link to the ERIC document.

I conducted a Google search of the title, Spoken Japanese, Book One. The search yielded what-seems-to-be an old Spoken Language course: Spoken Japanese, Book One, which is not the same as the textbook Beginning Japanese by the same author, and for which the reseller on EBay has offered a PDF copy of the text along with the audio files in MP3 format. Once ERIC completes the restoration of their text, we'll have a better idea of what we're dealing with.

In the meantime, I have written to the Yale University Press requesting copyright information on the Beginning Japanese textbooks as well as the audio recordings.

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5335 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 4 of 7
08 June 2015 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Eleanor Harz Jorden's Beginning Japanese is actually incredibly easy to get both new and used on
Amazon and at Powells Bookstore (which ships internationally). You can buy used copies for pennies
on Amazon or, if you want Amazon to ship it as opposed to a third party seller, under $6.

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3846 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 5 of 7
15 June 2015 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE

Yale University Press
I received the following reply from the Yale University Press QUOTE: Hi (my name removed). This was a bit tough to find. But I located cassette tapes on Amazon: Beginning Japanese (cassette tapes). All I know is that the audio and video was sold by a company called Cheng and Tsui in Boston. But we neither produced nor licensed nor sold them—audio rights were struck from our contract with them. UNQUOTE. You'll notice that the tapes, although still listed on Amazon, are not currently available. So ...

Cheng & Tsui Company
I sent an Email to Cheng & Tsui Company asking them if they still offered the audio recordings for sale and, if so, as they are not listed on their website, how one should go about ordering them. I also asked them whether or not they still held the copyright to the audio recordings and, if so, would they give permission for the publication/distribution of the recordings, free-of-charge to the public, via a not-for-profit website or by some other means.

Cheng & Tsui Company Other Materials
I am not a student of any Asian languages. However, I found the Cheng & Tsui Company "STORE" quite interesting: Cheng & Tsui Company.

Edited by Speakeasy on 15 June 2015 at 11:41pm

Franzel
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3242 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Studies: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish, French

Message 6 of 7
18 June 2015 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
The brillian Eleanor Harz Jordan course is available on CDs and published by Barrons. I bought both Part 1
and Part 2 from them some years ago. The recordings are complete and very clear. I suppose they cleaned
them up a lot. Some of the original FSI recprdings are very fuzzy. They are marketed as 'Mastering
Japanese'.

Edited by Franzel on 19 June 2015 at 9:26am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3846 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 7 of 7
21 June 2015 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Franzel!

UPDATE 2:

Cheng & Tsui Company AND Barron's Education Series
I did not receive a reply from the Cheng & Tsui Company either to my original enquiry or to a subsequent request for information. Following Franzel's comments above, I searched the Internet for postings related to "Beginning Japanese" and "Mastering Japanese" and came across several references that suggested that these were the same materials and that they were in the public domain. So, I sent a request for information to Barron's Educational Series ... and was greeted by the same silence so eloquently expressed by the Cheng & Tsui Company.

University of Indiana, Centre for Language Technology
I have just sent an Email to the University of Indiana, Centre for Language Technology, describing my searches to date, along with a proposal that I purchase a copy of these "purportedly public domain" audio recordings from a reseller and that I submit them to the University of Indiana for publication on their website. We'll see how this all works out!

What Comes Around ...
I have benefited greatly from the efforts of the "unsung heroes" who created the HTLAL, FSI, JLU, PeaceCorps, and similar websites, who chased down the materials, who prepared and uploaded the files, who administered the sites, and who performed all manner of sundry duties with a view to facilitating the free-of-charge public access to highly-regarded « legacy » language course materials and to providing guidance and encouragement to others.

Edited by Speakeasy on 21 June 2015 at 9:06pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version