Language Learning Forum : Collaborative writing Post Reply
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6375 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 1 of 2
09 June 2015 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
Following garyb's suggestion, I think we should start working on a wikia article summing up the abstract vocabulary debates here. That would be kinda similar to the articles I started about Simultaneous study and s_allard's kernel strategy. Just even more delicate, hehe.

I've thought of the following sections so far, I think they account for most of the differences:

goals: productive vs receptive, travel, work, passing an exam, impressing native speakers, hitting a benchmark (like 8000 words or whatever)
methods&preferences
languages and language combinations
levels?
word counting: usefulness, limits, the validity of statistics

links
examples of threads that are still welcome: practical questions, any new techniques, word lists/SRS decks for a specific purpose, new studies (but not any random popular articles), the vocab component of any language programme/method, discussions *within* each viewpoint about its details etc, maybe polls

anything else? anyone volunteering to write some parts?

Edited by Serpent on 09 June 2015 at 7:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4787 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 2
09 June 2015 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
I've just started a thread on thematic vocab resources and hope to get more people who use them to share their tips, recommendations and warnings against bad works. If people join, it might develop into a useful thread to link. If not, no harm done.

Important links and methods to include: I can think of Iversen's guide and of the goldlist discussion. Perhaps as well some of the old threads comparing various srs.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version