Triglot
United States
Joined 4034 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 1 of 9
09 June 2015 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Hey everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has experience learning Ukranian from scratch. I
can't find many base English resources.

What have you used?
1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3832 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 9
09 June 2015 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Hello Vogue,

I have not studied Ukrainian. However, given that there are few resources for studying this language, you might consider the following materials:

Modern Ukrainian
The University of Michigan describes this elementary course as "The most popular and successful English-Ukrainian language textbook in the world, Modern Ukrainian is a first-year Ukrainian grammar that presents the fundamental morphology and vocabulary including notations on syntax and intonation." I mention it because the University of Michigan offers 12 CDs of audio recordings to accompany the textbook. Given the dearth of resources, that's a fair amount of audio. You can find the textbook on Amazon and elsewhere. There is a 5-star review on Amazon that sounds genuine.

Glossika Mass Sentences
The company Glossika offers a set of 3,000 "mass sentence drills" in Ukrainian. Note carefully that this is not a course; rather it is a set of sentence pattern drills somewhat similar to the FSI-style drills that require a level of about A2 for participation purposes. They provide the English and Ukrainian transcript in PDF form along with the sound files in MP3 format. The sound files are sequence for phased repetition. I purchased their German files and I was pleased.

Assimil L'Ukrainien
Although you specifically requested suggestions for materials in an English base, you still might consider Assimil L'Ukrainien as a source of supplementary "native materials" that includes sound files and a transcript, but no translation. Just a thought.

LiveMocha Ukrainian
I played around a little bit with LiveMocha German and, despite its numerous qualities, got bored. However, you might find the videos worth viewing as a break from your main materials: LiveMocha Ukrainian.

Pimsleur Ukrainian
Although the Phase I Pimsleur Ukrainian course would NOT take you very far, I make mention of it. However, given that Pimsleur does not provide a transcript and expects that the student will "infer" the grammar from the lesson materials, and given that Ukrainian is a highly-inflected language, you might find their method a little frustrating.

Peace Corps Ukrainian
A blast from the past: Peace Corps Ukrainian

University of Arizona
The University of Arizona offers a DVD entitled Beginning Ukrainian that, from their advertisement, seems quite interesting.

Slavica Publishers
You might also address an enquiry to Slavica Publishers. If they have a textbook that interests you, be sure to ask them where you can locate the audio recordings. Bon, je suis allé voir ... the only textbook that offer is: Rozmovljajamo textbook. In their description, they mention the use of "polylogs". The Amazon Customer Reviews are quite positive and seem plausible.

I'm done here.

Edited by Speakeasy on 10 June 2015 at 2:29am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3832 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 3 of 9
12 June 2015 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Hi Vogue,

FIRST THINGS FIRST
I conducted a search of the HTLAL forums using "Ukrainian" as the sole search criterion. This particular discussion thread was not picked up most likely because the system missed your alternate spelling of "Ukranian". So that it will be grouped with similar searches, perhaps you could EDIT the title to read "Ukrainian".

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
I have listed most of the recommended from the previous discussion threads.

Everyday Ukrainian
The feature that I find most interesting about Everyday Ukrainian is that you can purchase 10 CDs of audio recordings to accompany the text. As I commented above when I listed Modern Ukrainian, that's quite a bit of audio for a language for which there are few resources.

University of Arizona
When I listed the Univ. Arizona course above, I didn't notice that they offer two levels: Beginner and Intermediate.

Beginner's Ukrainian with Interactive Online Workbook
Hippocrène Books has developed a solid reputation through their efforts at pubishing resources for some of the "less popular" languages. You might have a look at their Beginner's Ukrainian course.

Omniglot
This Omniglot page contains some interesting information, including some useful LINKS.

HTLAL Ukrainian Profile
A fabulous profile of the Ukrainian language, along with suggestions for study: Ukrainian Profile.

University of Alberta
The following link downloads a PDF file from the University of Alberta: University of Alberta PDF File

Routledge Colloquial Ukrainian
Based on my experience with the Routledge Colloquial Series, I would expect that Routledge Colloquial Ukrainian would be a fairly well designed very basic introduction to the language, with a focus on the "transactional needs" of a traveller to the country. You can expect that grammar will be kept to a minimum and that the voices on the recordings will approach near-native-speed. For some bizarre reason, Routledge and their resellers sell the colloquial series course books and audio recordings either separately or in packages. So, if you purchase this method, be sure that your order includes the 2 CDs.

Complete Ukrainian: A Teach Yourself Guide
Again, based on my expériences using the Teach Yourself method for other languages, you can expect that the TY Complete Ukrainian course will provide a very basic, and not necessarily a complete, introduction to the language.

You're welcome.

Edited by Speakeasy on 12 June 2015 at 10:53pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

vogue
Triglot
United States
Joined 4034 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 4 of 9
13 June 2015 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
This is fantastic, some of these resources I was already familiar with and using (Peace
Corps files, specifically since I'm going to Ukraine for the PC).

And I usually start out all my language learning with Pimsleur, but was really resenting
it in Ukrainian. Without a transcript it seems useless in this case.

I really liked TY Russian, so maybe that's a good option for me.

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3832 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 5 of 9
14 June 2015 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
Hello Vogue,

I have often begun my self-study of a new language with Pimsleur: German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese. For me, inferring the structure of these languages, as well as developing a glossary, was a bit of challenge, but it was manageable with the help of a basic grammar, a dictionary, and a book of verbs.

Then, I started using Pimsleur for Polish and Russian. While others have reported positive experiences, this was not the case for me. I found distinguishing the case endings and decoding the verb structure to be very difficult.   Although working backwards from the conversations with the aid of a dictionnary, a book of verbs, and a grammar had worked for me for the Romance and Germanic languages, I found the whole process extremely time-consuming for the Slavic languages as well as being fraught with too many opportunities to make errors of interpretation. Eventually, I put Pimsleur aside in favour of more conventional methods.

Good luck with your studies!

Edited by Speakeasy on 14 June 2015 at 2:53am

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5645 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 6 of 9
17 June 2015 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
There's also a Duolingo course for Ukrainian.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6936 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 7 of 9
06 July 2015 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
I've used TY Ukrainian and parts of "Modern Ukrainian", "Ukrainian for Speakers of English" and "Beginner's Ukrainian" (edition by Shevchuk. Stay away from the edition by Poulard).

passportlang
United States
Joined 2907 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ukrainian, French

Message 8 of 9
13 May 2016 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Given the dearth of Ukrainian language learning materials, I would like to plug my content here. I'm producing a series of audio books for use with Learning with Texts and Lingq in Ukrainian. The books are simple graded readers but qualify as "comprehensible input" for those of you familiar with Dr. Krashen's theories. The books are available at passportlanguages.bigcartel.com. Thanks for the time!

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version