Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Spanky
Canada
Joined 5716 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 1 of 4
10 June 2015 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
Attached is a link to an article in today's Guardian concerning efforts, certainly doomed, to prop up the extremely threatened N|uu language - an African San language - characterized as having one of the world's largest phoneme sets:

45 clicks
30 non-click consonants
37 vowels

I developed a sore and swollen tongue just thinking about such a phonetically-challenging language.

Guardian article

By way of contrast, I believe English (inclusive of British English, Canadian and American English and whatever it is they speak in Australia and New Zealand) has roughly 24 consonant phonemes, up to 20 vowel phonemes (21 in Australian, the extra one to account for what they slip into "Croikey"), and no clicks ('cept for my buddy Fester, who truth be told clicks sometimes).

Edited by Spanky on 10 June 2015 at 12:58am

8 persons have voted this message useful

Jimjam
Australia
Joined 3746 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 2 of 4
10 June 2015 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
As an Australian, I am just as confused as you are by our accent at times.

I have enough trouble with french pronunciation, so the thought of learning that language
is terrifying.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 4
11 June 2015 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Quote that omniscient beast Wikipedia:

"The majority of Nǁng consonants are clicks. It was once thought that Khoisan languages distinguish velar and uvular clicks, but recent research into Nǁng, and reevaluation of the data on ǃXóõ, indicates that, for these languages at least, the distinction is one of pure clicks versus click–plosive contours."

As I read that article, the reason that the number of clicks has exploded in n|uu is that the 'ordinary' consonants have been affected by different kinds of clicking. And when you count such combinations the number will of course be higher than the number of pure click types, which at least to outsiders like me would be things like tongue smacks versus uvular clicks versus lips against teeth clicks.

If you count every tone in Vietnamese and combine them with the vowels (or syllables) they affect the total number will also soar.

Edited by Iversen on 11 June 2015 at 11:02am

4 persons have voted this message useful

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5664 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 4 of 4
03 July 2015 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
Actually, the 45 clicks are actually 5 basic clicks (dental, lateral, palatal, aleovelar, labial) that can be aspirated, voiced, and nasal, etc. So I think saying 45 clicks is misleading... The same in isiZulu, people say sometimes 25 different clicks, but again they are 3 basic clicks that have some variation.

I've met a few N|uu speakers from the Northern Cape in South Africa through my work a few years ago, and when asked they refer to 5 different clicks.

Spanky wrote:
Attached is a link to an article in today's Guardian concerning efforts, certainly doomed, to prop up the extremely threatened N|uu language - an African San language - characterized as having one of the world's largest phoneme sets:

45 clicks
30 non-click consonants
37 vowels

I developed a sore and swollen tongue just thinking about such a phonetically-challenging language.

Guardian article

By way of contrast, I believe English (inclusive of British English, Canadian and American English and whatever it is they speak in Australia and New Zealand) has roughly 24 consonant phonemes, up to 20 vowel phonemes (21 in Australian, the extra one to account for what they slip into "Croikey"), and no clicks ('cept for my buddy Fester, who truth be told clicks sometimes).

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version