Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 11
13 June 2015 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the links. I totally believe a research might settle on doing both as the ideal, but I am usually the separate learner. Why:

1.The stronger skill (once you have a stronger skill) becomes a crutch and you are not forced enough to work on the weaker one.
Whether or not I choose to do an activity intensively with dictionary or extensively, that is not dependent on the combination, so I don't think vocabulary learning to be the problem. What I find worse is not getting used more and more to the form of the language you are having more trouble with.

2.A very subjective and perhaps stupid reason: I find it extremely unpleasant to be held back in reading by the slower audio. I can enjoy an audiobook, I heard a few awesome ones with pleasant voices and pace but when I read a book, I want to devour the content fast, to know what happens next, and that's what keeps my brain improving in a new language as well. And I've always loved the fact I forget I am reading for a while and just dive into the story. I think that's what reading is for, it's great for the immersion, and I just hate being reminded by the audio that I am just reading while sitting on my bed, in my room, in Prague, on Earth, in 2015.

3.You don't need any audio to make you skip words and just learn from context. If extensive reading is your chosen method, you can do so yourself.

4.Practical aspects. I use input not only at home during calm study sessions. I can either read or listen when commuting, trying both at once would probably get me killed. I use audio (or video) during activities like washing the dishes, I read when I am tired of noise. Using audio and book separately, even when I have got both, allows me to better fit my learning into my lifee and therefore spend more time on it.

So, if I were you, I would use audiobooks in car or other situations you like and need your hands free for. And read others (or the same ones before/after) on your kindle with or without looking up words. No compromise needed.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 11
13 June 2015 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
You don't need any audio to make you skip words and just learn from context. If extensive reading is your chosen method, you can do so yourself.

It's not always that easy, especially if you're not used to reading in the language. An audiobook can be a great nudge to keep going.

I agree that it only makes sense if your reading speed is slower than the audio, or if your listening is weak but you would understand the same text in writing. But both situations are pretty common.
1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5135 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 11 of 11
13 June 2015 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
These are great responses and quite interesting. The thread linked by Serpent is a wonderful thread and so is that research paper referenced earlier.

As always, the answer is "it depends", but, for me, it seems as though reading without audio is going to be the way to go. I'll try to arrange things so I can listen to audio books separately.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version