Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4768 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 12
25 June 2015 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
I am not learning Polish yet but I've already been loking into what's available as it is high on my hit list. I think going through a second beginner or rather beginner/intermediate course (or grammar) is in general a very good idea when one works with Assimil only. Assimil claims to take people far, such as B1 or B2 but I'd say most learners need far more than one course to get there, at least many htlalers I read from (and myself) tend to combine it with other sources usually.

What I found:

1. Csesc, jak sie masz? (by Miodunka)
-series published by Universitas. This publisher makes courses and resources for all the levels up to C1. So, the gap isn't that wide.

http://www.universitas.com.pl/ksiazka/Czesc__jak_sie_masz__I __Spotykamy_sie_w_Polsce__A1__2191.html

that is their website.

I have got this book and went through the first chapter once. I will definitely use it when I have time for Polish. It is English based, the dialogues look good, there are vocabulary lists, grammar explanations and quite a lot of exercises, which is why I bought it, and an audio CD. I'd say it is a good example of a course aimed at both classes and self-teaching students.

The publisher offers as well some grammars, vocabulary books etc. I haven't looked that much into those yet.

2.Hurra po polsku, publisehd by Prolog

Three courses, the style is much more classroom like. But there is as well a grammar exercise book. The whole series leads to B1. There are CDs, it doesn't look bad but I prefered the previous one. All of it is monolingual but you shouldn't have trouble, considering your experience with Polish.

3.another series by Prolog: Test your Polish.
There are vocabulary, grammar and some other exercise books in this series for the A1/A2 and A2/B1 levels. It is possible the series will grow. They look like nice practice but the grammar series doesn't give explanations. But there is a key to exercises fortunately

Both 2 and 3 can be found on this website
http://prologpublishing.com/category/hurra

4.If you felt like diving into native input of some kind, there are Polish audiobooks on youtube.

5.polishpod101.com isn't bad by far but there is much more beginner aimed material than the intermediate or advanced. Unfortunately, I don't know many sources like this when it comes to Polish.

6.A new series Polski Krok po Kroku
polskikrokpokroku.pl/

that is something new I've seen on a book fair recently. Two volumes up to B1 and they appear to be focused on quite a lot of practice, audio etc.

7.I think there is an FSI course. It is likely to be outdated in some ways but still could be useful to solidify your knowledge.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lusan
Diglot
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

35 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Polish

Message 10 of 12
27 June 2015 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Lemberg1963 wrote:
Active translation from English to polish would fix your grammar gaps.
Do massive amounts of
L1 to L2 anki cards.

Thanks. That is an excellent idea. However, I would not do Anki but just straight L2 to L1
translation with bilingual short text. I might incorporate this practice later.

I want to keep Anki growing slowly. For me listening is more important than written text
understanding. I have the goal of 500 hours of polish listening by year end. Anki would be
a real distraction. I do not want to do Anki more than 20 min a day. Currently I have more
than 5000 cards and I want to grow Anki slowly to no more than 10k. If I reach that number
I probably would stop adding more cards. It takes too much time. I have thought about
stopping but I am afraid of losing ground, so easy I go.

Lusan
Diglot
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

35 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Polish

Message 11 of 12
27 June 2015 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

6.A new series Polski Krok po Kroku
polskikrokpokroku.pl/

that is something new I've seen on a book fair recently. Two volumes up to B1 and they
appear to be focused on quite a lot of practice, audio etc.

This is a great series that I am using right now with my italk teacher. I decided to use
the series to review grammar, correct pronunciation, and to give context to our Polish
conversations. For total beginners, it could be very hard because the vocabulary increases
very fast and the grammar explanations are not clear at all. There no English but written,
listening and practice exercises. The good thing is that I know most of the words. Book 1
has more than 250 sounds clips. It seems to be even better than Assimil and of less cost. I
like it very much.

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3430 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 12 of 12
28 June 2015 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
It seems that you are willing to improve all skills (speaking, writing, reading and
listening).

Since you finished Assimil, you are probably aware about L-R method. For your purposes
with L-R, if it interests you, consider the following link on this website to be
suitable.
This site at the University of Pittsburgh:

http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/

You can read the short stories provided in the website above. Go to the other
materials and you find it in case you cannot go directly to the following link:

http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/other/KPR.pdf

This .pdf is a collection of short stories for beginners, but you can evaluate
yourself by reading those stories. If you click on the title of each short story, you
will get a link to a recording in .mp3 of someone reading the story. In other words
it's a “free audiobook” in Polish for beginners. If you know passively about 4000
words, then, the stories above should be suitable for your level.

Lusan

At this time, I am thinking about using Schenker's book. Have anyone use this book?
There are not instructions for self-study.

[/QUOTE wrote:

Beginning Polish: Revised edition, Volume 1 (Yale Language Series)

This book was one of the best resources I have seen so far. BP is the clo

Beginning Polish: Revised edition, Volume 1 (Yale Language Series)

This book was one of the best resources I have seen so far. BP is the closest to that
of a FSI Basic course for Polosh and it comes with two books. The volume 1 basically
contains beginner level sentences with some grammatical notes and few exercises while
volume 2 is a workbook that has a glossary and summary of Polish grammar. There are
also drills similar to those in the FSI basic courses I have seen so far.

The audio recordings for the books are available for free download as MP3 files from
Yale University in the link below:
https://archive.cls.yale.edu/polish/

I have found once volume 1 for 18 US dollar some months ago.

DLI course
There is a quite comprehensive (15 volumes, 3178 pages, Lessons 1-124!!!) Polish Basic
Course, prepared for use in the Defense Language Institute's intensive language
program, which is available for free download on this website: http://eric.ed.gov/?
q=polish+basic+course&id=ED033357
Perhaps you can take a look at some random pages and see if the contents interest you.

The link below provides some resources (text with mp3) for beginner levels, though I
guess they are no longer updated.
http://polish.gregloby.net/

5. Colloquial Polish
It provides good dialogues and exercises for each chapter. Maybe you can add this
resource at some time in your learning.
6. Z polskim na ty
This book is designed for those who are at B1 level.

On Grammar

1. A Grammar of Contemporary Polish
2. Polish an Essential Grammar by Dana Bielec
3. “Speakseasy” suggested you Swan’s grammar.

You can find it here:
http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/grammar.pdf

4. http://free.of.pl/g/grzegorj/gram/gram00.html

On native resources
If you are aiming for reaching B1 or even B2 level, you can consider taking a look on
native resources. For instance, you can check a list of radio and TV channels from
Poland:
http://www.listenlive.eu/poland.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_in_Poland#List_of_c hannels
You can take a look at their videos on Youtube. Check one program that interests you.

Cavesa mentioned Polishpod101.

As she said, it is an interesting resource, but it unfortunately doesn’t provide a
full course. I
mean, there are some beginner and advanced level courses, but they were still
incomplete some time ago when I checked their product. As for the beginner levels:

"All About": 15 lessons.
Basic bootcamp: 6 lessons
Beginner season 1: 25 lessons
Absolute beginner season 1: 6 lessons
Survival phrases season 1: 60 lessons

You can make good use of the dialogues provided in any of the courses above. But I
think it is overpriced for the contents offered. As a matter of comparison, in other
courses such as Germanpod101, I have more seasons for each level. For instance, I have
here Absolute Beginner season 1 and 2; Beginner season 1 and 2; Upper Beginner season
1 and 2 and so on.

My opinion is that it is not worth paying for Polishpod101, since you can finish
studying the other resources that I and other users have recommended you first.

“Cześć, jak się masz?” was another resource mentioned which I have seen only for A1
and A2 level so far.

After finishing A1 and A2 level course, you can switch to Z polskim na ty which is
meant for B1 level.

In case you cannot find any other additional resource in meanwhile, you can consider
this textbook aimed for B2 level:

Kiedyś wrócisz tu... cz.

The two parts of the textbooks are full of dialogues, explanations and exercises which
would you reinforce your knowledge of Polish. It is meant for University students, but
you can still use it somewhere in the future.

It would have been desirable if the textbook had included the key answers for the half
of the book as they provide the key for about half of exercises. I don’t understand
the authors, but anyway, this is a relatively minor complaint if you get a Polish
friend or teacher to correct your other exercises and help with you tasks that require
oral skills.

I believe that part II of the book covers some C1 topics from CEFR, but I am not sure
about that.

I would not take textbooks for B1 and B2 level in any of my target languages as I find
it better to cover native resources as soon as possible. However, I do understand that
finding good and reliable resources for Polish is a little bit more difficult than
perhaps other Slavic languages.

I haven’t seen this book, but a friend of mine recommended to me some years ago. It
is called “Czas na czasownik” which was meant for B1 level. This book is entirely in
Polish, therefore, meant for classroom. Another con (for you) is that the exercises
are full of drills which perhaps you won’t like this book. I assume that since you are
not going to take volume 2 of Beginning Polish, are you?

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version