United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5904 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 9 of 15
15 June 2015 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
I don't think you're alone. Sometimes, I also I get fatigued. I keep buying Japanese books, but I get exhausted going through them and drift off. It's like I read the words, but I don't really feel the charcters or the stories, like I do with English.
1 person has voted this message useful

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6562 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 10 of 15
15 June 2015 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Audible.fr has a large selection of French
audio books, and I've bought them from the US without any geographical restrictions or
other trouble so far. Definitely worth a look—they're all DRMed, but you can get a player
for almost any device, and the selection is excellent.

As for reading, it's possible that you might have an isolated weakness somewhere in your
French skills that's dragging you down. You've learned other languages before, and you've
certainly gotten an adequate amount of French input. How is your listening comprehension,
for example? If your listening is weak, you might try working on that for a while.
Similarly, if you have trouble mapping between the spoken and written forms, perhaps some
Listening/Reading would help cement that connection.

That's all I can think of. I do remember that linking up written French and spoken French
was a bit tricky, though my problems mostly went in the other direction—my listening
comprehension has always lagged a bit.

I just did a little reading test reading a page and a half out loud to myself and there are
two main things going on:

- I can decipher fast enough to enunciate fast (practically as fast as English), but every
so often I need to take a little break (and stay on a vowel for a bit longer, say) to
"unstick" my throat after too many difficult consonant combinations, notably involving the
R. It's a bit like driving with the handbreak on, albeit driving quite fast. After a few
more pages though my throat really needs a break - I can only read about 5 pages in one
sitting (I can do Italian quite effortlessly for much longer), otherwise I actually start
coughing.

- I need to spend considerable mental effort on "collapsing" constructions that aren't
spoken as written. So as I'm enunciating I need to be several steps ahead so that I can
read at full speed once I get there and not be stuck decoding, for instance: "Je préfère
arrêter
avant qu'il ne soit trop tard" (not the best example, but with a lot of "il", "y", "en" and
prepositions there are many "rewrite rules" before reaching the spoken form). I notice
often after speaking a phrase that I decoded something wrong and forgot to apply some rule.

Edited by numerodix on 15 June 2015 at 9:02pm

1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5311 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 15
15 June 2015 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
- I can decipher fast enough to enunciate fast (practically as fast as English), but every
so often I need to take a little break (and stay on a vowel for a bit longer, say) to
"unstick" my throat after too many difficult consonant combinations, notably involving the
R.

I had lots of trouble with the French R. The thing that seems to have finally helped me was singing along with songs in the car. The most effective was probably Un coup d'œil dans le métro (lyrics), which has long, lovely French Rs in the refrain:

Quote:
C'est un coup d'oeil dans le métro (métro),
Un scénario pour la métro (métro)
Nos deux héros semblent rétros (rétros),
Mais dans le monde réel on en fait jamais trop...

My tutor also told me to practice my Rs daily in the shower, in combination with other consonants.

numerodix wrote:
- I need to spend considerable mental effort on "collapsing" constructions that aren't
spoken as written. So as I'm enunciating I need to be several steps ahead so that I can
read at full speed once I get there and not be stuck decoding, for instance: "Je préfère
arrêter
avant qu'il ne soit trop tard" (not the best example, but with a lot of "il", "y", "en" and
prepositions there are many "rewrite rules" before reaching the spoken form). I notice
often after speaking a phrase that I decoded something wrong and forgot to apply some rule.

Hmm. For me, it's as if all the spoken forms already exist in my head (including lots of common expressions). So I don't usually need to decode them; I just need to match them up to something I already know. This breaks down when the syntax and vocab get more complicated than what I'd hear on TV on in person, but it works fine for the common stuff.

So there's two different things you might try:

1. Improving your ability to understand and predict spoken French.
2. Improving the link between written and spoken French.

Sometimes, French feels like two closely related languages (spoken and written), and it's necessary to learn both and link them together somehow, I suspect.

As for en and the other prepositions, there's a classic comedy sketch by Raymond Devos, Parler pour ne rien dire, which is stuffed full of that sort of idiomatic French. I don't know if it will help any, but if you can follow most of the word-play, then you're in pretty good shape. :-)

Edited by emk on 16 June 2015 at 1:04pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3621 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 15
16 June 2015 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
In case you have a doubt, native french speakers can pronounce the R as easily as any other consonant. You're probably raking/gargling/scraping/whatever you're doing/ with too much energy (and perhaps there is a wrong placement of the tongue in the mouth: the tongue is not placed like in Italian or English). The R is a very soft sound to produce, especially inside and at the end of the words. It's a little stronger at the beginning of the words.

Each time I see someone on YouTube taking his glass of water and saying "Ok guys, basically the R sound is gargling without the water", I just want to cry out of despair :)

Anyway, as I have no concrete advice to give you (I'm the typical native speaker who don't know how, himself, he can produce the right sound), I can only tell you that you have a great leeway for the R: some roll it "à l'italienne" (in Brittany or Burgundy), some foreigners pronounce it like the German -ch or russian x, and it's not unpleasant to hear that, too, so you can choose a variant that is less painful to you.

Edited by Arnaud25 on 16 June 2015 at 9:04am

6 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4986 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 15
16 June 2015 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
I find speaking a foreign language, be it in conversation or reading aloud, to be a very mentally and physically demanding activity. Especially French, but also Italian although it's phonetically simpler and I'm more used to using it in natural contexts. Not with any sounds or constructions in particular, but in general it has just never seemed to feel "natural" to me. Not even now that my level is quite high. I have to constantly monitor my prosody and make sure I'm getting all the individual sounds right, otherwise I'll go on autopilot and all the English-speaker bad habits come in.

It's like a constant conscious effort to speak properly. My pronunciation is generally far worse in conversation than when reading/speaking alone because more of my mental energy is being used for the conversation itself. If it's a particularly involved or emotional conversation then things get even worse. I'm not sure how much practice, training, and exposure is needed before good pronunciation feels natural, but it seems like a hell of a lot, for me at least.

This is just a general observation though; like I say it's not just limited to French for me so I don't know if it's relevant to your situation. French is a particularly awkward language to pronounce well, but I don't know whether Portuguese and Dutch are any less so.
2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4223 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 14 of 15
16 June 2015 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
When it comes to learning languages, it is like learning to play music with any instrument. In the beginning you put in a lot of effort and you get your level to go up. After a while, if you push yourself into learning new materials on top of your daily routine, you can get very tired.

You basically rework your schedule to do all the things you'd normally do in your native language in your new language. Normally I'd spend 1 hour reading English news articles online. I'd cut the pie and spend half an hour reading news in Chinese or French. If necessary, I'd reduce my time for reading in English and devote more time reading in French. When I'm watching a Chinese drama series, I can spend up to 3h a day but I'd have to cut my English TV programs down.

Edited by shk00design on 16 June 2015 at 6:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4788 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 15 of 15
18 June 2015 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Any activity can get tiring, that's why having a larger pool to choose from pays off. But why are you torturing yourself with just this one kind of exercise? There appear to be two different parts of the problem that could (and in my opinion should) be treated separately: reading and pronunciation.

1.reading being tiring. You can just grab other books and continue silently. That will get your reading to perfection. 60 books are great but go for more and always choose things you find interesting, fascinating, fun, enriching and so on, never for things you "should" read. Truth be told, I'd be bored by reading out loud as well as it is slower, it doesn't help me dive into the story (and immersion in case of books in other languages), and it is annoying me. Reading silently is something totally different and efficient in many ways.

2.pronunciation. You don't need to read out lout to perfect it. Especially when a particular sound is giving you hard time. There are good quality pronunciation exercises. I like the introductory+pronunciation chapters of the FSI courses, for example. There are specific pronunciation guides, some aimed at advanced learners polishing the last bits. You can shadow or repeate after audio, trying to sound just like the native audiobook reader, movie actor or politician giving a speech. Sing along with your favourite artist. It is actually quite a fun game and you will get better by following such models (and it is so damn fun sometimes). Just taking a book and reading out loud, that is not an ideal exercise, in my opinion, to practice pronunciation.

3.Listen a lot, don't stop just because your listening comprehension is already ok. I've noticed my pronunciation and accent got much better just by listening a lot. I really mean lots and lots of input. Pronunciation and sounding natural, that is not primarily about your tongue or voicebox, even though you need to practice using these tools. The brain is in charge and the brain is likely to follow the pattern you've been drowning it in.

4.You might want feedback from a tutor. In such a case, reading things out loud may be a useful exercise, just like speaking about anything else. But the feedback, if the tutor is good, will be the valuable part, not just reading out loud, in my opinion.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version