Diglot
Germany
Joined 5079 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 9 of 12
15 June 2015 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
You can easily remove the unwanted lines in the .srt text file with a text editor that has a "macro" capability.

You don't need a macro-enabled editor, any text editor with regular expression support, for example Notepad++ will do.

If you have a Windows machine, you can use Notepad++ and the following regular expression to delete the time stamps. Simply search for:

Code:
\d+\r\n\d+:\d+:\d+\.\d+ --> \d+:\d+:\d+\.\d+

and replace all occurrences with nothing. (Linux and Mac users probably need to delete '\r'.)

\d+ = placeholder for one or more numbers
\r\n = carriage return + linefeed (Windows line-break sequence)
2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4985 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 10 of 12
15 June 2015 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
tommus wrote:
You can easily remove the unwanted lines in the .srt text file with a text editor that has a "macro" capability.

You don't need a macro-enabled editor, any text editor with regular expression support, for example Notepad++ will do.

You don't even need an 'editor' as such. Although I'd always advise to manually confirm any 'search and replace' operations, as long as your files are well-formatted, you could do all of that in a single, non-interactive pass using sed, the stream editor (available for all platforms since the dawn of time) or any similar tool.

tommus wrote:
mrwarper wrote:
so I started coding a small on-line utility

Wow! That is quite nice. I especially like the idea of the personal glossary.
I tried a file and it works great. Thanks.

Thank you :)

Development slowly stalled because it presently worked for me and my students lacked enthusiasm, so adding new vocabulary-related stuff was too much work (my own languages had either progressed beyond or stagnated below the point where this was most useful for me anyway), but I could always consider suggestions for improvement.

For example, I thought it would be nice to try and de-inflect words, and there's a pseudo-mechanism to do that for known words, but it's really crude right now (basically instead of one item per line, you put all of their forms in a single line, separated by tabs -- that, however, will simply skip words from being picked up, but different forms of any given new word will still be incorporated as new, different words).

The last thing I planned for real was batch processing of multiple files (thinking of series and such), so when compiling glossaries anything that appears in previous files would be ignored, etc. but I didn't implement that either.

Edited by mrwarper on 15 June 2015 at 11:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5624 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 11 of 12
17 June 2015 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
mrwarper, that's a great tool, thanks for sharing it! De-inflecting words is something i've thought a lot of language learning platforms could benefit from, but i doubt it's something trivial to implement, though perhaps it'd be possible using the hunspell morphological dictionaries.

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4524 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 12
25 June 2015 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
Using notepad++, you can just do a search and replace on:
^[0-9].*
and it will remove every line that starts with a number. You have to uncheck the "box"
matches newline at the bottom or you'll delete the whole file. Removing every line that
starts with a number takes care of .srt files usually.
It's just a crude version of the other tools.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version