10 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 10
16 June 2015 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
Well, there are also good fb pages in various languages.
I started this thread about twitter, too.
Twitter, Facebook and music are far more real than coursebooks. And they're great when you can't afford to have 30+ min of uninterrupted quality time.

As for vocabulary, depends on what you did before? I only said that you don't seem enthusiastic about those flash cards. In related languages there are lots of "unknown knowns", ie words you can potentially understand, but haven't come across (enough) yet. Words that will become effortless with exposure. I'm not saying that you should abandon flash cards (although electronic ones don't pile up), but I don't think I've heard of anyone who does this "vocabulary day" thing. It also sounds like it would help to be more selective in what you create flash cards or SRS cards for.

Also maybe that's just my impression, but you don't seem that interested in "popular" stuff? Unless your goals are strictly academic, it should be very useful to read some easier literature, watch series etc. Fewer lookups, more enjoyment and more input :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

crazyleseratte
Pentaglot
Germany
crazyleseratte.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3722 days ago

26 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English, German*, Spanish, French, Italian
Studies: Dutch, Danish, Mandarin, Japanese, Russian

Message 10 of 10
16 June 2015 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
You are right, I am not enthusiastic about my flash cards, and I have anki decks too, but
this doesn't help learning all this vocabulary. In fact I am only interested in academic
things, however, I also need every day vocabulary for encounters with other people, so a
bit of random stuff could not hurt. I will clean out my twitter list, and start from
scratch and try it out for once.
However, I believe that this attitude of knowing a bit of it all, keeps piling up the
cards, since I don't know what will come in handy one day, so I really want to know every
word.

I already do the watching and reading (at least for French / Italian / Dutch) - actually
I don't count this into my learning, I do it on the side, when I have one hour to spare,
or when I am tired and don't want to study any more.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version