AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5256 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 1 of 41
16 June 2015 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Cod2 was the original person to create the thread "Sick and tired of SRS". I'm
continuing on with my own saga. For those who have the pleasure/disdain of coming
across many of my rediculous posts... well here I am again, being, well, rediculous,
umm, again, and raising another topic (i mean the same topic). I thought this would be
ok to be popped into the advice section, but it also fits here- like a snake between a
hare and a rabbit- know what I'm sayin? (rhetorical of course)

I've had an on and off saga with FC's. And to borrow from cod2's/my subject title many
ppl are prob sick and tired of it. But without trying to 'prep people' to be negative
from the outset, please be patient- I'm a perfectionist, I have my own ways and I like
to do a method to death even if it's somewhat tedious if it means I get to my goals in
the manner I desire (thorough language acquisition- whatever that means, don't get
caught up in that please).

Recently I solved an issue somewhat with some insights gained from smallwhite's
approach to vocab acquisition and flashcard use. Prob anyone could've told me this- I
was taking far to long to review my cards- problem resolved - I no longer translate a
rediculous number of example sentences...

NOw I'm taking far too long to create cards (a prob I had in the past as well for
different and similar reasons)- here's some background from my own log (posted last
night). I guess I was thinking I would resolve this relatively easily, but I thought
wrong- and I am wanting some input from others now if anyone feels up to the task.

PeterMollenburg wrote:
A new (version of an old?) flashcard dilemma

So unlike previous FC dilemma's I'm not going to jump up and down (on the inside) and
freak out over this
issues i'm having. Basically FC's lately have been enjoyable, but once again too slow
in creating them. I
worked out an awesome new FC layout system which enabled me to have more exposure to
my L2... it goes
like this (my deck has 2 directions- traditionally they were French to English,
and, English to French):

Direction 1: (answering right/wrong based on side 2- English)
side 1: French word (with example sentences)
side 2: English word (with English equivalents of those example sentences)
side 3: word classification eg nf, nm, adj, vt etc, phonetics if deemed necessary
plus French definition included on this same side

Direction 2: (answering right/wrong based on side 3- French)
side 1: French definition of word plus clue such as sub for substantif or vt for
transitive verb
side 2: English word (with example sentences as previously explained)
side 3: French word (with the French example sentences)
side 4: word classification eg nf,nm,adj,adv whatever.

The card layouts are pretty cool. The fact I can have 2 directions, can add my side 1
to the bottom of my side
4 to create side 3 in direction 1 is pretty versatile. The fact that I can have 4
sides (more if required) is pretty
cool and decide which order they appear in and even if combined on same side as
another. In fact I could
have different an audio of side 3 on the text of side 4 with the pic of side 1 not
that I want to.

....Anyway I like the French defintions coming up first for direction 2 as it takes
away the reliance on English
and feels more 'immersive'.

However... time time and time----------------------------------- too much of it! to
create cards. I'm entering
examples to provide context- reading could do this. I'm using French definitions now
to immerse myself,
getting away from translated cards would do this. And I'm still on the enter every
word thing- I can't bear to
delete any cards or my deck.

Then i decided that what does it matter if it takes a while to enter 10-15 words
thoroughly... Then I realised
that studying for 2 hours and entering only 14 or 15 words whether thorough learning
or not is not efficient.
So I sought some opinions and read this:

Don't use
flashcards!

Part of me became excited about ditching my cards as I thought back to when I used
French in Action back in
2000 and fumbled my way through a decent (long-ish) conversation with a French
Canadian at a
bar/restaurant one night. French felt more 'natural' then and less 'robotic?' But,
then I fretted (not then in
2000, then like half an hour ago)- what about all the difficult words- the rarer ones,
what about the frequency
lists, nice vocab books I have with beautiful pictures...

I read the thread here on HTLAL "Sick and tired of SRS" in which emk put forward his
methods again on how
he loves to delete. He's advised me the same at times (and along with many others not
to enter every word).
My theory on entering every word was that sooner or later my vocab would reach a point
where i'm no longer
entering many words as I would have a vocab of say 30,000 words covering much
mainstream material out
there. But, do I really want to enter another 20,000 words to my FC deck? at this
rate?

Solutions:
Solution A)
Don't delete my deck, but stop using it, create a new one with strict limitations (and
perhaps a new take such
as all sentence cards in which I type the answers)... I'd for example only enter RARE
words, or DIFFICULT
words (yelling to myself in attempt to drum it into my own head). And when coming
across vocab lists, or
word lists in my French learning mags (love them btw) I'd enter them for the short
term and NOT BE AFRAID
TO DELETE THEM. I'd cover more ground with native materials and even courses.

Solution B)
In my rotation of study hours (an hour intensive/ an hour extensive) every intensive
hour i can paint the town
red with flashcards and rediculous examples. Then every extensive hour I don't touch
the FCs at all (no
reviewing, no adding of words). This would combine the two extremes.

Solution C)
I combine solution A with Solution B and basically add only rare words to my new deck
(perhaps in sentence
form) or words from my words lists or whatever which i'd be happy to delete relatively
quickly. And during my
extensive study not add any or perhaps apply the same philosophy- rare words or
difficult words that keep
popping up.

Solution D)
Rid myself of FCs altogether (unlikely, but still a possibility)

I'm currently leaning towards Solution C- New deck, few entries, more exposure to all
materials.

I will totally understand if I get little response out of this post, so please don't
feel compelled to reply out of
pity for my recycling of an old issue. I'm thinking out loud, but still if you want to
reply you're absolutely
welcome. Fry a hat, for hat's sake

PM

So today I started making a new deck. I thought right, that does it, new deck, fresh
start, move on, and to go with that a new layout and test with some basic cards i'll
delete once I get the format rolling smoothly...

Here's an example card:
Direction 1: (French to English)
side 1: personne. There's _____ there (ex sentence)
(i type the answer "no-one" - it's short, I use the language, I have a sentence in
there- just one). I get it right, reveal side 2
side 2: nf (fem noun), okay i'm cool, move on.

Direction 2 (English to French):
side 1: no-one. il n'y a ______
(i type in 'personne'), get it right
side 2 nf (fem noun)... moving on

I go to create this card:
à peine (adverb meaning 'hardly') on side 1, fine
side 2 I enter 'hardly' (but notice there are more shades of meaning like 'barely,
scarcely'
I try to enter those as well realising then my answer will require 3 words- doesn't
suit for the sentence with a gap:
J'arrive _____ à soulever mon sac. (answer à peine)
Translation: I can _____ lift my bag. (answer hardly)
okay so what do I do with the other shades of meaning? Create more cards with more
example sentences.

I"m pissed off with SRS. No matter which way I look at it I ALWAYS have to enter some
kind of clarification, or create multiple cards or too many example sentences...

YET they are fantastic if used correctly (going on mainly other ppls experience, not
drawing from mine as i'm likely to be judged for good reason).

I don't want to ditch them altogether, but even trying to simplify it's fraught with
danger- shades of meaning, examples/no examples- actual different meanings of the same
word, why translate when not going to become a translator and so on and so forth...
it's all a big turd really. Many will say ditch them. But they are definitely useful,
it's just they're bloody cumbersome in creation to say the least!!!!

PM
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5256 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 2 of 41
16 June 2015 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
I know these posts are a bit much... well I've found a solution (i hope) so no need to
read on if you've got better things to do)

Okay, so replying to my own post. I'm going to try this for a little while:

* Duplicate old deck and during reviews delete like mad anything that I have half an
idea of it's meaning.

* Create a new deck with an aim not to enter every word

-----------
* In the new deck (already experimented) the entering of information when creating a
card will proceed as follows:

Side 1 - French word
eg "à peine"

Side 2 - English word or words (includes subtle variations to provide clarity)
eg hardly, barely, scarcely

Side 3 - French example with the key word/phrase missing
eg. J'arrive ______ à soulever mon sac

Side 4 - English translation of the French example
eg. I can "hardly" lift my bag

Side 5 - word/phrase clasification
eg. loc adv (ie locution adverbiale)
---------------------
How the reviews will go won't be in the same order as above but like this:

Direction 1:

Side 1:
J'arrive ______ à soulever mon sac (side 3 when card was created)
I can [hardly] lift my bag (side 4 when card was created)

ie i'm able to make it so two card sides (or more) can be viewed when reviewing cards
on one side of my choice.

(type written answer expected giving me more practice with the language- which
corresponds to the original French 'side 1' from when card was created -see above- ie
in this case it is "à peine")

Side 2
= side 1 (top)
side 5 (middle)
side 2 (bottom)

So the the actual side 2 will look like this:
à peine
loc adv
hardly,
barely,
scarcely

*with all the nuances in meaning included plus an example, but only writing the French
term as my answer I avoid being concerned with requiring the English multiple
translations as the answer... I'm hoping this works out well. Sounds complicated but
entering is pretty simple really and a lot better than all of my examples and their
translations being entered often going back and forth between sides while entering and
then adding a French definition from yet another dictionary... Anyway fingers crossed

Direction 2 will be like this:
Side 1:
hardly,
barely,
scarcely (these are side 2 when card was created)
J'arrive ______ à soulever mon sac (side 3 when card created)

With an expected typed answer being the same as above "à peine". By sticking to the
same original French term from the original side 1 when the card was created as my
answer for both 'directions' or layouts of cards I avoid the issues with multiple
translations into English, and focus more on the French in two different ways
(directions/layouts whatever) but still see (not answer with) English translations.

So I answer and then the next side...

Side 2:
à peine (original side 1)
loc adv (original side 5)
I can [hardly] (or: "hardly"- not decided on that) lift my bag (original side 4)

Essentially I'll be typing short answers and reviewing/learning every card in two
different formats (that i've referred to as directions as it's usually used for L1-L2/
L2-L1).
------------------------------
In summary the first layout/direction is French example sentence with a missing word +
English example sentence with the translation of the missing highlighted somehow in
the English sentence. The answer will be the French term. Other details show up on
side 2

The second direction instead of the two sentences is the English translation plus any
nuances of meaning along with the French sentence with the gap. Again the answer is
the French term like above. Side 2 again has some other details slightly differing
from the above layout

Sounds like a lot of jargon, fluff or whatever- In short fingers crossed this
streamlines my FC process and that in creating a new deck I also become more efficient
in my choice of words/terms to enter.

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3322 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 3 of 41
16 June 2015 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
J'arrive _____ à soulever mon sac. (answer à peine)
Translation: I can _____ lift my bag. (answer hardly)
okay so what do I do with the other shades of meaning? Create more cards with more
example sentences.

I"m pissed off with SRS. No matter which way I look at it I ALWAYS have to enter some
kind of clarification, or create multiple cards or too many example sentences...

The way I handle this is to just have one answer, and to make the explanation as simple as possible. For example, your goal with this card is to train the expression "à peine" used in THIS sentence. It doesn't mean that you couldn't rightly substitute something else to make another sentence which means the same thing. It also definitely doesn't mean that your proposed English translation "I can hardly lift my bag" is the only valid one with the same meaning. For example, one could replace your "_____" in that sentence with any number of things:

I can barely lift my bag
I can almost not lift by bag
I can safely say that I am not feeling fit enough to lift my bag

The same principle is true in either direction. In general it is possible to replace any "____" appearing in any sentence with an indetermine number of other items which will cause the sentence to mean the same thing.

One solution to this if you're working with translated words is not to think in terms of "translations" but think in terms of "keywords". A keyword is just a magic word that you use as your own personal device to remember the target word. As an example, when studying Kanji characters I often come across two or three different characters whose meanings are pretty similar to each other, say:

暖 vs 温

Now, in this example it may be possible to formulate some kind of explanation as to the difference between these characters, or to list out concrete examples of words in which the first character is deemed most appropriate, and words in which the second character is deemed most appropriate, words in which both characters appear in a defined order, and words in which the writer has a choice of which character to write to convey a particular "shade of meaning". One might also point out in this particular character pairing that the two characters have different On-readings, while having similar Kun-readings. However, all of these details are way too complicated for the purpose of a flash-card. Instead, my solution is this:

暖 | warm
温 | warmth

Simple. If I see "warm" on my flash-card then I just use that as a symbol to remind me to practice writing the first character; then I can flip it over and see if I did it all right. If I see "warmth" on my flash-card then I write the second character. The whole point is to practice what's on the target-language sides of the flash-cards. The words "warm" and "warmth" do not need to be practiced, and their appearance here is not really that important. What you use for the keyword is just a helpful way for you to recall it. It doesn't really even matter if those characters actually "mean" 'warm' or 'warmth' and it surely does not mean that my arbitrary choice of these two keywords is an appropriate way to describe the difference between the two Chinese characters. Nor does it need to be.

Edited by chaotic_thought on 16 June 2015 at 11:01am

5 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5256 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 4 of 41
16 June 2015 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
I appreciate your detailed description and analysis chaotic-thought. You've raised some pertinent points
indeed. I realised i needed more clues so to speak, which is in part why I revamped the layout explained in
the 2nd post. In theory I feel like i'm not likely to have too much confusion now. I might try 2 example
sentences too but it may make the cards too busy but it could bring further clarity to the exact term I'm
supposed to answer with. Context will also help as I aim to take examples mainly from materials i'm using
(courses, reading). Thus, I should recall many of these sentences increasing the likelihood of using the
correct term among more than one potential answer. Finally if I incorrectly answer with a synonym on the odd
occasion I'm not fussed- if I am for perfection I'll end up bogging myself/the cards down with too much detail
again.
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5312 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 41
16 June 2015 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
My personal rules for cards:

1. SRS cards should be made with as little effort as humanly possible. Copy and paste is your friend.
2. Cards should be easy to answer. It always amazes me how well easy cards actually work.
3. Cards should be deleted at the slightest provocation. Annoyed? Bored? It's gone.

I use three major formats:

Recognition cards. These have a sentence on the front, with one or two interesting words in boldface. The boldfaced words are defined on the back, generally using a copy-and-pasted definition from an online dictionary. If I understand the word in context, I pass the card.

Cloze cards. These have a bunch of text on the front, and single word hidden. In fact, I often hide only half a word. If I can fill in the missing word or word fragment, I pass the card.

Subs2srs cards. These have a picture and a short sound clip on the front, and L2 and L1 subtitles on the back. I pass the card if I understand the audio. These work ridiculously well if you make them in bulk using tools, and you choose a fun, easy TV series or movie.

For more detailed examples of recognition and cloze cards, see the essay that I wrote for srscollector.

Dealing with amibiguous or difficult cards

One thing that's worth noting: Ambiguous cards are hell. If you can think of two good answers for the card, you should either (1) throw it away immediately, or (2) convert it a half-word cloze card that's totally unambiguous.

So, for example, I might make two cards of your sentence, each of which is easy and unambiguous:

Quote:
Front: J'arrive à p{..} à soulever mon sac.
(hardly)

Back: J'arrive à peine à soulever mon sac.

Quote:
Front: J'arrive {..} peine à soulever mon sac.
(hardly)

Dealing with multiple shades of meaning

Just say no. If you know this meaning in this sentence, you're done. As for other meanings, you'll either pick them up from context or you can maybe make another card later. Once you know one reasonably accurate meaning for a word, your brain will usually do the rest—always assuming, of course, that you get lots of exposure.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 41
16 June 2015 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
I just wonder why you make an English translation - except in those few cases where the meaning otherwise couldn't even be guessed. With "J'arrive à peine à soulever mon sac" you may want to learn `"à peine", and then it may be relevant to see it in a concrete French context, but that context isn't idiomatic in the sense that you have to learn it by heart. "À peine" is idiomatic, and it wouldn't be enough to learn just "peine", so on the English side of the card it would be relevant to write "hardly" as your memory aid to remember "à peine", but not the whole sentence.

But as I sometimes have stressed: you shouldn't learn expressions without also learning the elements. Learning "peine" as an isolated word is worth the trouble, because it will be easier to remember "à peine" if you know that it means something like "with trouble/punishment/difficulty".

So in your case I would have one card with "peine" in a couple of French contexts and the words "trouble/punishment/difficulty" on the other side (or just one of them, because learning one translation will make it much easier to add the rest later". And then maybe one card more specifically with the expression "à peine" on one side (maybe in a context) and "hardly" on the other. And a third card with "je n'arrive pas à" --> "I don't succeed in.." - the sample sentence with "à peine" is just a variant of this, and keeping things apart makes it easier to see what each of them actually means.

Edited by Iversen on 17 June 2015 at 1:05pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4987 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 41
16 June 2015 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
What emk describes is extremely similar to what I do, described in another recent flashcard thread. Recognition cards and half-word cloze cards. I've still never tried subs2srs but it's an interesting idea. As I said on the other thread, it's what I've settled on after some experimentation, I don't know if it's the best method but for me it works better than nothing and it's relatively painless.

I also use a two-month maximum interval time, because I find that Anki's intervals just get too long and version 2 makes it a lot harder to tweak the settings. This gives me more work, but it's mostly easy work, and if a card seems far too easy to be reviewing every two months I can just delete it.

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5256 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 8 of 41
17 June 2015 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
My personal rules for cards:

1. SRS cards should be made with as little effort as humanly possible. Copy and paste
is your friend.
2. Cards should be easy to answer. It always amazes me how well easy cards actually
work.
3. Cards should be deleted at the slightest provocation. Annoyed? Bored? It's gone.

Thanks emk, these are some Very sound rules. I"m going to do my best to apply them :)

emk wrote:

I use three major formats:

Recognition cards. These have a sentence on the front, with one or two
interesting words in boldface. The boldfaced words are defined on the back,
generally using a copy-and-pasted definition from an online dictionary. If I
understand the word in context, I pass the card.

Cloze cards. These have a bunch of text on the front, and single word hidden.
In fact, I often hide only half a word. If I can fill in the missing word or
word fragment, I pass the card.

Subs2srs cards. These have a picture and a short sound clip on the front, and
L2 and L1 subtitles on the back. I pass the card if I understand the audio. These work
ridiculously well if you make them in bulk using tools, and you choose a fun, easy TV
series or movie.

For more detailed examples of recognition and cloze cards, see
the essay that I wrote for
srscollector

Dealing with amibiguous or difficult cards

One thing that's worth noting: Ambiguous cards are hell. If you can think of two good
answers for the card, you should either (1) throw it away immediately, or (2) convert
it a half-word cloze card that's totally unambiguous.

So, for example, I might make two cards of your sentence, each of which is easy and
unambiguous:

Quote:
Front: J'arrive à p{..} à soulever mon sac.
(hardly)

Quote:
Front: J'arrive {..} peine à soulever mon sac.
(hardly)

Dealing with multiple shades of meaning

Just say no. If you know this meaning in this sentence, you're done. As
for other meanings, you'll either pick them up from context or you can maybe make
another card later. Once you know one reasonably accurate meaning for a word, your
brain will usually do the rest—always assuming, of course, that you get lots of
exposure.

I'm not likely to try anything like subs2srs anytime soon as such things that may take
the average joe 20min or even an hour to set up will take me four times as long, but
it's certainly something I'm curious about at some point in the distant future.

Your recognition cards are also interesting and something I may propose much sooner
than subs2srs. I'll likely visit this idea again down the track or even in the coming
days as I decide whether I want to do recognition cards as well- i'm thinking no, as I
want to keep this really simple and not create duplicate cards- I would have to put
them in a 2nd deck as my first deck (new deck) has very specific routine of what's
entered over 5 cards... although I could add 2 sides into one (in creating the cards)
to utilize side 5 as a definition but this will slow me down- the exact thing i'm
working against... no i think i'll skip recognition cards for now- I think i have more
covered than you do in your cloze cards anyway and thus don't feel like I need to bog
myself down with more... hmmm, will think it over.

For the time being like you said yourself I'm going to keep my cards as easy- easy to
make, uncomplicated and hopefully easy to answer. Chaotic thought was talking about
ways to avoid ambiguous responses/answers. I think your idea of 'half cloze' is a good
one. I'm going to make my cards even easier with at least an initial letter maybe
more. Great idea emk! Cheers :)

One question emk...
Do you always create both a 'recognition card' and a 'cloze card' for each
term/word/phrase that you add to your flashcards? (you create 2 cards every time?)

Edit: when i mentioned nuances of meaning I meant literally nuances.

For example " reconnaissance "

In my larousse FR-EN dictionary the sixth definition out of nine in total goes like
this:
DROIT [d'un droit] recognition, acknoledgement

eg reconnaissance de dette
acknowledgement of a debt

eg2 reconnaissance d'enfant
legal recognition of a child

This is what I meant by nuances of meaning. These two words seek to clarify the French
term, to hone in on the correct translation via a two (sometimes more) closely related
different words that point to essentially the same overall meaning or very close at
least. My original gripe (now fixed by not answering with English) is that I couldn't
be sure which word to answer with as with nuances all will be similar and likely
interchangeable. Half cloze cards would help to eliminate this issue too. But I'm just
not going to have English answers anymore.

To further clarify. I think what you thought I meant was this. Definition 1 of
reconnaissance in that same dictionary is an entirely different meaning = gratitude.
That is not a nuance, but an entirely different translation altogether. Definition 2
of the French word 'reconnaissance' is the English word 'reconnaissance' (think
reconnaissance mission/flight/patrol). These are clearly different meanings and not
nuances/shades of meaning as in the first example. My problem wasn't distinguishing
between entirely different meanings, but the nuances and how to deal with putting in
the correct word... all in all I've solved this issue without English answers and for
the French having half cloze cards, but I just wanted to clarify my point - context
wouldn't have made it clearer as more than one word could mean exactly the same thing.

PM

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 17 June 2015 at 10:44am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version