Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 41 of 41
25 July 2015 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
chaotic_thought wrote:
For sentence vocabulary cards I use three fields, all with a "cloze"-
style prompt in Anki:

Dictionary Form
Sentence (the phrase that I highlight is "clozed out" in the display)
Definition

All fields are optional. The dictionary form field is really just for sorting and reference
purposes.

If the word than I'm training has synonyms in the language that I know, then I just write the
synonym(s) that I know in to the Definition field. Example:

men zegt ____: "De Graslei in Gent is de mooiste straat in de wereld."

: soms; ooit

> weleens

In this example, I must type the missing word after the prompt symbol ">". By the way, I've
never ever used the word "weleens" before, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if I never need
to utter it except when explicitly discussing the word itself. But when I encounter this word
in another context I'd like to be able to recognize it. Typing it in is a way for me to
actually think about this specific word itself, to practice spelling it (spelling a word that I
think I know can be quite hard for me in Dutch!) and to avoid getting bored out of my mind
whenever I review flash-cards.

Quite often (80-90%) I notice that the sentences I pick out don't even need a definition. Just
start your card without any definition and see if you can remember it that way:

Wouter ____ voor zijn grote oren

> schaamt zich

I was always able to remember it, and it's already clear what the meaning is, so I've never
needed to bother thinking about what a truly faithful translation for "zich schamen" might be.

For some cards I skip the sentence altogether and just include a definition or translation if
appropriate:

: een dochter van je broer of zus

> de nicht

Basically, this three field-approach lets me do all of these variations with just one card
layout, so I find it easy to work with, and I don't waste my time with multiple "directions".

Thanks for the idea

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version